Gourami World Tour

Cinnebuns

I did the Pokémon nerite snails and caught almost them all. Now I want to go on the gourami world tour!!

Idk why but the instant I learned about gourami I was in love. I kinda wanna try each of the smaller types. I know some can get massive but I'm not so much interested in those. I'm more thinking 4-5 inches max. I'd like to compile a list of them. I know there is likely a few I don't know about!

Here's what I know of so far with an [x] on the ones I have owned currently or in the past

[X] Honey

[X] Thick-lipped

[X] Dwarf Powdered Blue

Dwarf Neon

Dwarf Flame

[X] Pearl

Sparkling (getting in a few days)

Licorice 

Chocolate 

What have I missed?  I'm not including paradise fish btw. I haven't done a ton of research but what little I have suggests they are more aggressive than I care to worn with. 

• Love 1

On 2/21/2023 at 11:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Opaline Gourami (Marbled Gourami)?

That's a 3 spot and they get 6 inches. Too large for my tanks. They always tempt me tho every time I see one. Maybe someday they will force me to get a larger tank haha. 

On 2/22/2023 at 12:19 AM, Lennie said:

Red Robin Gourami

I Googled these and it looks a lot like thick lipped. Is it the same?  I might have to look this up! 

Edit to add:  Yes they are the same. 

On 2/21/2023 at 11:36 PM, knee said:

Samurai Gourami 

Good one!

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 2/22/2023 at 9:55 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I Googled these and it looks a lot like thick lipped. Is it the same?  I might have to look this up! 

Edit to add:  Yes they are the same. 

Once my LFS carried them. I remember reading lots of confusion back then. I was deciding between them and honey gouramis.

Some say they are honey gourami variant(red honeys). Some say they are a hybrid of thick lips. Even their scientific class changes in every site 😄

So yea that is a bit confusing. I'm not sure what they are really

On 2/22/2023 at 1:20 AM, Lennie said:

Once my LFS carried them. I remember reading lots of confusion back then. I was deciding between them and honey gouramis.

Some say they are honey gourami variant(red honeys). Some say they are a hybrid of thick lips. Even their scientific class changes in every site 😄

So yea that is a bit confusing. I'm not sure what they are really

The scientific name labeled for them on a few sites is all the same and is the same as thicklipped. The confusion is that they are sometimes labeled as "red honey gourami" when they aren't a honey gourami. That's probably why some people think they are a hybrid. But Latin doesn't lie. If it's Trichogaster labiosa then it's the same species regardless of which of the now 3 common names I've heard of for them. That's why it's usually best to use Latin when discussing specific species. Common names can confuse stuff a lot. 

Licorice and chocolate gouramis come from peat swamps and like tannin rich soft acidic water with plenty of leaf litter pH of 4-6 depending on the species' very beautiful I wouldn't say they are a beginner fish I would get some experience with pearl or honey gouramis and do a lot of research before getting licorice gouramis or chocolate gouramis I would only get them if your going to breed them as a lot of species are endangered thought loss of habit @Cinnebuns

Edited by Colu
Added plenty of leaf litter
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:24 PM, Colu said:

Licorice and chocolate gouramis come from peat swamps and like tannin rich soft acidic water with pH of 4-6 depending on the species' very beautiful I wouldn't say they are a beginner fish I would get some experience with peal or honey gouramis and do a lot of research before getting licorice gouramis or chocolate gouramis I would only get them if your going to breed them as a lot of species are endangered thought loss of habit @Cinnebuns

Ty for the heads up good to know!  

On 2/23/2023 at 2:08 AM, Cinnebuns said:

The scientific name labeled for them on a few sites is all the same and is the same as thicklipped. The confusion is that they are sometimes labeled as "red honey gourami" when they aren't a honey gourami. That's probably why some people think they are a hybrid. But Latin doesn't lie. If it's Trichogaster labiosa then it's the same species regardless of which of the now 3 common names I've heard of for them. That's why it's usually best to use Latin when discussing specific species. Common names can confuse stuff a lot. 

Yea, I def agree that they look like thick lipped ones rather than honeys for sure. 

I've also seen many classify them as honeys in latin too somehow. Even flip aquatics mentioned them as colisa chuna. There is surely a confusion going on both hobby name and latin name I bet.

https://flipaquatics.com/products/dwarf-honey-red-gourami

Also Prime Time's care video on honey gouramis but they seem to be red robins, so thick lips to me 😄

In person, the red robins and honeys had very distinct look irl when I saw them both in my LFS. That's what I can tell. So they probably are thicklips afterall as you mentioned!

On 2/23/2023 at 5:31 PM, Cinnebuns said:

There are real red honey gourami, it's just that they are more often thicklipped.

I was able to get a pair of true red honey gouramis. The males will always have yellow coloring on the tip of their dorsal fin and will have a black throat when trying to spawn. 
image.jpeg.9e2c8c266af7bad9c4b50102d9a5cf0f.jpeg
image.png.8a5acc4439fdd555a2b28d4011e93b99.png

image.png.cb601469956b6f6bedeeb025384c866b.png

Here’s a red thick lip for comparison. 
image.jpeg.0e08fd0510a6461e6d37288150173ee4.jpeg

Edited by knee
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

On 2/23/2023 at 8:50 PM, knee said:

I was able to get a pair of true red honey gouramis. The males will always have yellow coloring on the tip of their dorsal fin and will have a black throat when trying to spawn. 
image.jpeg.9e2c8c266af7bad9c4b50102d9a5cf0f.jpeg
image.png.8a5acc4439fdd555a2b28d4011e93b99.png

image.png.cb601469956b6f6bedeeb025384c866b.png

Here’s a red thick lip for comparison. 
image.jpeg.0e08fd0510a6461e6d37288150173ee4.jpeg

Yeah I can def see the difference. Ty for the examples!