Tanks on second floor?

EVoyager31

So, I am moving soon and won't have a ton of space for my tanks. I have 2-75s and a 55 gallon that will have to go on the second floor. If anything, I will downsize my three tanks to one 125 or something similar. Another unfortunate: It'll probably be on carpet 😓

My question is: Is it okay to have multiple tanks or one large tank in a single room on the second floor of a house? How can I check that it is safe and won't damage anything? 

Thanks!

On 2/21/2023 at 10:10 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

A lot of people recommend asking a building engineer. 

Maybe try asking the landlord? They might have some info on what has been put there before.

In this case, the landlord is my father 🤣 and he said "I think it will be fine."...but I don't trust that. lol

On 2/21/2023 at 9:01 AM, EVoyager31 said:

If anything, I will downsize my three tanks to one 125 or something similar

I would try to avoid that. Is there any way you can put the tanks along different walls? Any way for you to tell which way the floor beams go? Can you put them along an outside wall?

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 10:22 AM, Katherine said:

I would try to avoid that. Is there any way you can put the tanks along different walls? Any way for you to tell which way the floor beams go? Can you put them along an outside wall?

Outside wall, yes.. but it would be against a window. I guess I could get blackout curtains. As for the floor beams.. not sure how I could tell...

On 2/21/2023 at 10:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have 14 tanks in 2 rooms 2nd floor carpet. I remember someone saying a single tank over 90 gallons??? Maybe?? Needs extra support 

I think it was @lefty o

This makes me hopeful. It will be an office and fish room setup similar to how i have it now.. I could settle for one big tank for my goldfish.. but it would also mean ditching all my work on the planted co2 setup.. decisions.. lol

On 2/21/2023 at 9:31 AM, EVoyager31 said:

As for the floor beams.. not sure how I could tell...

Maybe with a good enough stud finder? I'm not sure how well that would do through carpet. Maybe you could use it through the ceiling from the room below if you have access to that.