Is this normal poop?

Alexis22

Just got a few platys and one has the longest poops and goes more than I have ever seen. I only feed a small pinch in the morning for 3 fish. Is this normal? Sorry I was a bit too late for the pic. But it’s like at least an inch long. I do feel like it kinda bottom feeds on my tank so maybe it’s just been well fed since it’s new and finding a lot of old food?? 

8BEDCCB9-91FA-4DD9-8FB0-44A1D047A38D.jpeg

So today now the poop is blue.  Like continuously pretty blue over the past few hours. Is this normal? I’ve added a bit of Seachem acid buffer twice the past few days to lower my ph a bit and also started using stability a few days ago in the hope to get a better strain of bacteria. This is the only changes I’ve made. 

What foods are you feeding?

On 2/20/2023 at 8:06 PM, Alexis22 said:

I only feed a small pinch in the morning for 3 fish.

Depending how much you're feeding, small amounts 2 or so times a day is probably beneficial and helps them if one fish is being outcompeted. Keep an eye on the runt and try to target feed them too.

I am using the omega one super color flakes. I was feeding twice but having a really hard time with my nitrite spikes. So far so good doing the morning feed. I watch and everyone does eat they are all good eaters. The one that is pooping a lot just seems to be the only one who sucks food off the bottom and filter etc. The others only surface feed. But why the blue poop?  

Edited by Alexis22

On 2/22/2023 at 9:25 PM, Alexis22 said:

So today now the poop is blue

Either you’re feeding blue color food or there is a painted decor item in your tank that is blue. The poo will always be the same color as the food. Feed blanched carrots, green beans and red bell peppers. Your tank with be festively decorated with poo. 

• Haha 2

Just one platy has blue poop after 6 days of being here. Neither of my guppies previously or the other platys now have blue poop. Just the one. I feed the super color flakes they’re bright orange. I have a tiny Elsa ornament in the back that’s blue could it be an issue? It looks fine. 

On 2/23/2023 at 9:14 AM, Alexis22 said:

Just one platy has blue poop after 6 days of being here. Neither of my guppies previously or the other platys now have blue poop. Just the one. I feed the super color flakes they’re bright orange. I have a tiny Elsa ornament in the back that’s blue could it be an issue? It looks fine. 

Yes they pluck at things foraging. It’s most likely plucking paint off. 

• Like 1