Are little turtles a trick?

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 2/21/2023 at 9:26 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

It is interesting that sliders have exhibited such an impressive ability to invade new habitats!  I wonder why this species and not say, painted turtles to the same extent?  I know painted have introduced populations around, but they seem much less extensive.  I mean sliders can even move into where pained exist already.  Sliders, for whatever else people may feel about their introductions, are absolutely successful! 

I actually remember a couple of discussions with some government officials about it a few years ago on lake Washington. The discussion was along the lines of would they have naturally colonized these areas anyway as populations moved further north without human intervention. Albeit on a turtle timescale rather than a human timescale.

Since red-eared sliders are a north america native it is feasible that they could have spread without the help of humans. Although I think another part of the discussion is that western pond turtles and other native turtles are far more sensitive to pollution and the sprawl of human populations.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/21/2023 at 1:05 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Although I think another part of the discussion is that western pond turtles and other native turtles are far more sensitive to pollution and the sprawl of human populations.

Interesting!  Thanks for sharing!

On 2/21/2023 at 1:05 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

The discussion was along the lines of would they have naturally colonized these areas anyway as populations moved further north without human intervention.

I could go on a far too long tangent about what, in my opinion, constitutes native, near-native, and not-yet-here native.  But I'll spare everyone.  😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

they are so adorable when they are so small ,, only way i would get one if i had a very large outdoor pond,

when i was little  my younger brother had one not sure what kind he carried it in his shirt pocket ,,  it was so fun to hold 

my brother forgot he had him in the pocket and went outside,, turtle disappeared  we spent a good 1-2 hours looking for it it was not found