Oto's (Repashy Super Green vs Soilent Green)

Milliardo Peacecraft

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which food otocinclus catfish prefer eating.  The Repashy Super Green vs the Soilent Green formulation.  I have quite a few fish in my aquarium that like to eat algee (clown pleco, bristle nose pleco, 4 mystery snails, and 3 otos), so I need to supplement feeding since I no longer grow enough algee to keep everyone happy.  Just to try something I picked up a container of Repashy SuperGreen and I have to admit, I'm becoming a fan.  Though I'm not sure my otos are really eating it.  I think they may just be timid enough that the snails, cories, platies, and plecos eat up the food before they get a chance.  It seems like if any other fish claims it, they stay off.  The otos seem healthy and have been in there several months, they don't look super thin, so I'm assuming they are doing well.

So far the Repashy food goes into my top 3 foods for my aquarium (Standard flake food, Hikari algee wafers, and now the Repashy food).  Since the "algee wafers" don't really seem to have much plant life in them the Otos didn't seem to care for them, hence the purchase of the Repashy food to try.

I'm curious of people's opinion of the Super Green vs the Soilent Green because I debated quite a bit over which to get and ultimately just picked one to try.  Which do you prefer, are there any advantages one vs the other?

Screenshot_20230218_213043_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230218_213309_Chrome.jpg

On 2/18/2023 at 7:54 PM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

Which do you prefer, are there any advantages one vs the other?

I haven't used super green. I prefer soilent green based simply on the "aufwuchs" side of things and the spirulina. In terms of the fish you mentioned I think you're doing everything fine, just give them time.  Soilent has krill and squid, but I wouldn't mind having either one. Either one is very healthy and is good for your use case.

Super Green:

INGREDIENTS: Spirulina Algae, Algae Meal (Chlorella),  Pea Protein Isolate, Rice Protein Concentrate, Alfalfa Leaf Powder, Stabalized Rice Bran, Dandelion Powder, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Coconut Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Schizochytrium Algae, Dried Seaweed Meal, Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Lecithin,  Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2- Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Soilent Green:

INGREDIENTS: Spirulina Algae, Algae Meal (Chlorella), Krill Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Squid Meal, Rice Protein Concentrate, Fish Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Coconut Meal, Stabilized Rice Bran, Flax Seed Meal, Schizochytrium Algae, Dried Seaweed Meal,  Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with either… Super Green is vegan, so no meat. Soilent Green has some people… I mean animal protein in it. 

Keep in mind, even though we think of Otocinclus as algae eaters, they actually feed on a lot of biofilm, which is bacteria and such. 

I guess what I’m saying is, either one is good. Your Otos will get nutrition from a combo of the food and the goodies in your tank. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BTW I am curious, where are you buying those? I cant seem to get it anywhere, even Amazon is sold out, and the brand as such doesnt sell here much, some food for geckos, not the fish brand afaik

Did you find a brand similar to it somewhere?

Thanks

My otos will join the feeding with any sinking pellets, like fluval bug bites or dennerle crusta gran 🙂 

• Like 1

I do a blend of both and vary the ratios from batch to batch. I have also started adding coarsly blended botanicals (leaves of magnolia, dandelion, fennel, dill, oak, birch, mulberry) to the mixture. My Nannoptopoma, Parotocinclus and Otocinclus do not show a preference, they like it all!

• Love 1

I've been feeding Soylent Green but I think the snails eat most of it. I've been coating the outside of a piece of coconut shell with it and leaving it food side up. Maybe I'll try Super Green too but does anyone have a 'best' way to feed gelled food so my otos get most of it?

On 2/20/2023 at 1:38 AM, beastie said:

BTW I am curious, where are you buying those? I cant seem to get it anywhere, even Amazon is sold out, and the brand as such doesnt sell here much, some food for geckos, not the fish brand afaik

Did you find a brand similar to it somewhere?

Thanks

My otos will join the feeding with any sinking pellets, like fluval bug bites or dennerle crusta gran 🙂 

I ordered mine from Aquarium Coop just after Christmas.  If i remember right, I used the notify button and got notified when it was back in stock and then ordered it.  I've also seen it at Aquatics Unlimited in Greenfield, WI (near Milwaukee, WI).  It's an "almost local" fish shop for me, probably one of the best fish shops in the area.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:59 PM, sankaz said:

I've been feeding Soylent Green but I think the snails eat most of it. I've been coating the outside of a piece of coconut shell with it and leaving it food side up. Maybe I'll try Super Green too but does anyone have a 'best' way to feed gelled food so my otos get most of it?

I wish I could figure out the same thing.  Otos are just so passive/timid that everything else tends to claim the food first.  Otos are persistent though, and they feed just about the entire time they are moving around.  I freeze the gell food into small cubes and then drop a few of them in.  It seems it keeps the other fish/snails feed more so there is more algae for the Otos to eat.  I also try to put the cubes in when the lighting in the aquarium is low, just before it turns off to give the otos more of a shot at it.  I also don't bother to thaw out the little cubes before I add them.  They thaw out really fast in the aquarium and the fish don't seem to mind, they start picking at it within minutes.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:59 PM, sankaz said:

I feed Repashy Soilent Green to my otos in powder form. I just sprinkle it on the surface and as it settles on leaves and other surfaces the otos come Hoover it up. I also have livebearers and shrimp in the tank so using powdered food doesn’t make the tank dirty. 

On 2/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, RadMax8 said:

Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with either… Super Green is vegan, so no meat. Soilent Green has some people… I mean animal protein in it. 

Keep in mind, even though we think of Otocinclus as algae eaters, they actually feed on a lot of biofilm, which is bacteria and such. 

This is great to know because I can easily add oak leaves, cholla or other botanicals on a more consistent basis to give them more biofilm areas. Thanks! 

• Like 1