Sick snail pls help‼️‼️‼️‼️

Helpwithmy_snailpls

‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️Hello I am worried I need help so I got a Apple snail on jun 21 with 3 neon tatres and the same day the neons tatres died to ick and they didn’t tell me they had ick so I don’t know if the snail is sick aswell he has not eaten since jun 21 and I been asking for everywhere but no one helps I have been giving him 2 snail baths a day for 3 days on and each time he didn’t come out and smile comes out his shell everyday and I did the smell test and he is alive my betta  in the tank seemed worried for him and the first few days he has been in the tank he was very active and after a week he has not came out his shell he has not moved after that first week and everyday he is kinda out his shell but without his face and then when I give him a air bath he goes back in I really need help…question: is it oki to give snails air baths everyday?‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

41F4636F-9203-4C23-81AA-7B7AC02D28C1.jpeg

690B3BE9-DC3B-45A8-B99B-847EC4A6E5FF.jpeg

A375706B-D20C-4109-8C94-60C479A14398.jpeg

He must have eaten something during that time? Snails do sleep, and what you are showing is a common sleeping position that normally wouldn’t concern me. What type of food do you offer? And what types of foods do you have on hand?

I know what air baths are but I do not have experience with them personally. It’s my understanding that the water quality is the most important thing. @Theplatymaster is on the right track asking parameters. 

Please provide:

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, gH, kH, temp

One concern I have is that he is with a betta. Bettas often will bite at mystery snails antennae because they think they are worms. The snail may be afraid of the fish, and if that’s true he may continue to hide in his shell and starve. You can move the snail or the betta into a breeder box if you don’t have another tank and see if the snail will come out. If he comes out you will know he was scared, not sick.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 3

I can’tpost all the water parameters because I don’t have a test for ammonia and the snail is doing not sure what he is doing but here’s a picture and here’s a picture of the water parameters.And I also have. 2.5 gallon tank it is not in use that I could put him in

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh also the temp is 71 I just turned the heater on and I offer him beta pallets and algae wafers and algea thins he stay in his shell in a position of on his sides it back

On 2/19/2023 at 10:41 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I know I temp is always around 78 but everyday early in the morning it cold so over night the temp goes down so I always have to turn on the heater

I would leave the heater on. It will turn off when it reaches its set temp. Snails are mostly nocturnal and active eating at night. Letting them get cold might not be great. 

On 2/19/2023 at 10:43 AM, Guppysnail said:

I would leave the heater on. It will turn off when it reaches its set temp. Snails are mostly nocturnal and active eating at night. Letting them get cold might not be great. 

Agreed. Once you set the temp on the heater just leave it plugged in and it will warm the water to that temperature and shut itself off. If the temperature drops the heater is programmed to detect that and will begin to heat it again. This keeps your tank temperature consistent and is less stressful to your creatures because it prevents fluctuations.

Also your kH is low, you can add a piece of wondershell to the tank for your snail. It is not food. It is minerals.

I had some of my snails at 75 and others at 78. In both tanks they were active.

When you get a chance try to pick up an ammonia test kit. You can get the API one which is drops, or you can get the strips - the best brands of strips are aquarium co op or Tetra. Ammonia is the most toxic thing that could be in the water, so it’s good to know what level it is at (should be zero).

For some reason the ammonia test is not on the multi strip. It’s because it’s a little bit different procedure.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:45 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

What is wondershell and also should I move him in a bowl and see if he comes out?

It is a white block that looks like a seashell that you can break and drop a piece into your tank. It releases minerals into the water. I would not recommend moving your snail. It would further stress him. I would focus on getting your heater set and your tank temperature consistent. A bowl would not have the heat that he needs.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Agreed. Once you set the temp on the heater just leave it plugged in and it will warm the water to that temperature and shut itself off. If the temperature drops the heater is programmed to detect that and will begin to heat it again. This keeps your tank temperature consistent and is less stressful to your creatures because it prevents fluctuations.

Also your kH is low, you can add a piece of wondershell to the tank for your snail. It is not food. It is minerals.

I had some of my snails at 75 and others at 78. In both tanks they were active.

When you get a chance try to pick up an ammonia test kit. You can get the API one which is drops, or you can get the strips - the best brands of strips are aquarium co op or Tetra. Ammonia is the most toxic thing that could be in the water, so it’s good to know what level it is at (should be zero).

For some reason the ammonia test is not on the multi strip. It’s because it’s a little bit different procedure.

I just got the test for the ammonia here’s a picture.

image.jpg

On 2/20/2023 at 3:42 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I just got the test for the ammonia here’s a picture.

image.jpg

Based on the lighting I believe it is either 0 or .25. What do you believe it is when you read it?  If it is above 0 you should do a water change because any amount of ammonia is toxic.

I would do 50% and use a dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia such as Prime. Since it is a larger volume of water you’re changing, trying to match the temperature of the new water to your tank. I use a meat thermometer but if you have a thermometer in your tank you can put that in your bucket to check the temperature.

How long has your tank been set up?

If you have ammonia, every day change the water. It will go away when bacteria starts to build up in your tank. The bacteria will eat the ammonia.

This video is really good to understand what is happening. It’s kind of a longer 17 minute video but it is really really helpful.

No, you want it to grow the bacteria that will eat the ammonia so you should not wash it. If it gets dirty you can swish it in the TANK water that is in your water change bucket. Never use tap water or it will kill the good bacteria. @Helpwithmy_snailpls

If you ever need to clean your decorations do that in tank water also. The video will explain why.

What brand of dechlorinator are you using?

On 2/20/2023 at 5:08 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

No, you want it to grow the bacteria that will eat the ammonia so you should not wash it. If it gets dirty you can swish it in the TANK water that is in your water change bucket. Never use tap water or it will kill the good bacteria. @Helpwithmy_snailpls

If you ever need to clean your decorations do that in tank water also. The video will explain why.

What brand of dechlorinator are you using?

Here’s a picture 

image.jpg

I will watch video