Mini ramshorn snail colony

Theplatymaster

i just wanted to post a picture of my platy breeding setup

mini ramshorn snail colony:

i put in flakes for the platies, and then the ramshorn snails get sinking foods, this will be good once i add fry to this setup (the parents will be removed) to help prevent water fouling from uneaten food.

snailcolony.jpg.cfd661f35f98c272a73c9c790edb6774.jpg

the picture does not do it justice, but there are snails EVERYWHERE in this tank, and its pretty awesome.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 8:58 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I'll give them all to anyone!  I hate them!  They stink so badly!

good luck removing them, unless you have some sort of snail trap...

also just give your friends some plant clippings for "no special reason" if they get snails, well thats life... (im joking doing this is mean). 😆

On 2/19/2023 at 8:00 AM, Theplatymaster said:

good luck removing them, unless you have some sort of snail trap...

also just give your friends some plant clippings for "no special reason" if they get snails, well thats life... (im joking doing this is mean). 😆

Reverse respiration did lower the population for the time being. It was insane how many eggs were on the amazon sword alone. Now that there are worms in the tank it might be time to get rid of the snails too!

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 2/19/2023 at 8:08 AM, Theplatymaster said:

how do you get rid of the minis, without harming the larges?

Well first I haven't gotten rid of the minis yet. It's in the works. But also, they are in different tanks. I willingly got the regular ones. The minis came in on plants and have been an adventure ever since. 

On 2/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Well first I haven't gotten rid of the minis yet. It's in the works. But also, they are in different tanks. I willingly got the regular ones. The minis came in on plants and have been an adventure ever since. 

i was looking for algae eaters a while back, and my friend had the mini ramshorns, so he gave me a few (he had like 100 in his tank) and thats how this colony has started, i know have these snails EVERYWHERE! maybe i should setup something just to observe them, hmmm... not a bad idea.