Need solution for removing detritus worms. Might quit hobby.

coffee

I have a 10 gallon tank with no substrate (substrate removed) that has with detritus worms. I've tried soo hard to remove them by now, including bleaching the tank (not plants, I did plants in Alum, maybe why they're still here?). 
I used to have at least 5000, but now I'd say max 300 detritus worms now. I've tried soo hard to remove them, and I need a permanent solution. It's also planted, and I've tried using Alum for plant dips, any suggestions to permanently remove detritus worms? I'm alright if some plants melt, I just need ANY method.

Edited by coffee

In the Journals topic section you can read the RR, Reverse Respiration thread. You can leave the plants in the tank, but you must remove any living animal you don't want to kill. It will kill all the worms. Being a 10 gallon tank the cost for 10 gallons of seltzer water is not too high.

• Thanks 2

Ohhh I can see why you are so discouraged, that's a lot of worms. What else do you have in your tank? Where are the worms now that you've gotten rid of your substrate (be careful about introducing that substrate anywhere else as there could still be worms in it)? The worms are usually happy to be in the substrate but when water parameters are out of whack they emerge. what are your water parameters? This would be the second area to look at. It's good that you treated your plants, but I'm going to refer you to the post on Reverse Respiration, that was developed by a group of people here on the forums. It is a harmless way to kill worms, eggs, algae, pests, diatoms). You can clean your plants and hardscape at the same time using this procedure. It sounds like your tank is clean of algae due to bleaching the tank. What do you have for a filter and have you cleaned that? I'm just thinking about where the worms could be in hiding. 

Edited by JJenna
hit enter too soon
  • Thanks 2

I would come harvest All Of them if I were close. Im jealous my fish love these. 
Cut back on feeding. If possible add a small predator fish. Celestial pearl danios, emarald dwarf rasbora, endlers, guppies etc. they will clean them up. Also cut back on feeding a touch and increase your mechanical and biological filtration media  a bit usually helps. 
Neocaridina and snails will outcompete the worms for excess food. 
They are not harmful and as a tank really seasons they find a home in the substrate and if the tank is well aerated are a fabulous clean up crew though you are now bare bottom. Even that will settle in. 

• Like 1

Personally I love detritus worms in my tanks, because my fish love to snack on them. I have been overfeeding my quarantine tank for about two weeks now in order to increase the worms, all in preparation  for a shipment of fish I'm getting next week.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:40 PM, coffee said:

I have a 10 gallon tank with no substrate (substrate removed) that has with detritus worms. I've tried soo hard to remove them by now, including bleaching the tank (not plants, I did plants in Alum, maybe why they're still here?). 
I used to have at least 5000, but now I'd say max 300 detritus worms now. I've tried soo hard to remove them, and I need a permanent solution. It's also planted, and I've tried using Alum for plant dips, any suggestions to permanently remove detritus worms? I'm alright if some plants melt, I just need ANY method.

Can you fill us in on why you want to get rid of them?  They are harmless and good fish food.  What kind of fish do you have in the tank?  Most fish will gladly eat them.  Maybe you could post pics to show us why you’re concerned?

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:37 PM, Odd Duck said:

Can you fill us in on why you want to get rid of them?  They are harmless and good fish food.  What kind of fish do you have in the tank?  Most fish will gladly eat them.  Maybe you could post pics to show us why you’re concerned?

These are excellent questions. What has you needing them gone so badly you might be done with the hobby? They are harmless and if any dare emerge around a fish - they are dinner. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 3:40 PM, coffee said:

Is there anything else in the tank?

Replace the substrate (what kind is it?) And then use salt. Salt will dehydrate them. Especially in high doses they cannot survive.

On 2/18/2023 at 6:45 PM, ccc24 said:

These are excellent questions. What has you needing them gone so badly you might be done with the hobby? They are harmless and if any dare emerge around a fish - they are dinner. 

This is my worm adventure.

I understand it. It's really troubling when you don't have anything to eat them and help to rid the tank or keep them in check.