Kids' Tank

Katherine

On 2/16/2023 at 8:12 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I have been working with first generation shrimp. A lot of people post about losses with the first gen. But once there is second gen, they are born into the water and have a tolerance to it. Therefore they are hardier.

I just saw my very first shrimplets a few days ago!

I’ve found pristella tetras and black neons to be especially hardy. 

I didn't mean that I was doubting your experience (if it came off that way)! 🙂  Awesome to see shrimplets, they're really fun critters.  Just always doing something.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:09 PM, jwcarlson said:

I always find it wild when people struggle with shrimp.  I guess it's really water based, I suppose.

I have super hard water, but a fairly low PH from the tap. It makes me nervous to even try shrimp, that's why I was specifically looking at the ones in the shop labeled as being in 'dechlorinated tap water' rather than the ones with specific parameters listed on the tank.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2023 at 8:18 PM, Katherine said:

I have super hard water, but a fairly low PH from the tap. It makes me nervous to even try shrimp, that's why I was specifically looking at the ones in the shop labeled as being in 'dechlorinated tap water' rather than the ones with specific parameters listed on the tank.

What's your pH if you aerate the water for 24 hours?

On 2/16/2023 at 8:20 PM, jwcarlson said:

What's your pH if you aerate the water for 24 hours?

I have not done this outside of a tank, but done in a running tank I'm pretty sure it stays the same. We're retesting the tank tomorrow to see if the filter processed the ammonia from the tap, so I'll report back.

Edit: I do also have an extra airstone I could hook up to my gang valve, so I could run this test outside the tank if you think that would be more useful.

Edited by Katherine
  • Like 1

I keep kuhli loaches in my daughter's bedroom fishtank. Currently I have 6 but I want to get at least 12. They are super funny and are very tolerant to water conditions. They eat well on most every food and the fact that they hide sometimes really does make it even funner when they do poke their heads out in the evenings. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:16 PM, jwcarlson said:

I didn't mean that I was doubting your experience (if it came off that way)! 🙂  Awesome to see shrimplets, they're really fun critters.  Just always doing something.

Well, I am a beginner w/ shrimp. They are so different than fish!

On 2/16/2023 at 10:22 PM, bryanisag said:

I keep kuhli loaches in my daughter's bedroom fishtank. Currently I have 6 but I want to get at least 12. They are super funny and are very tolerant to water conditions. They eat well on most every food and the fact that they hide sometimes really does make it even funner when they do poke their heads out in the evenings. 

Kuhlii loaches eat snails. Something to keep in mind.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:54 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Great journal @Katherine! Have your kids decided on stocking yet? 

The only sure thing so far is 1-2 mystery snails from my tank and a hillstream loach. We've got time to decide on other fish. I'm sure they'll also end up with some ramshorns from the sponge filter we moved over, but as we see them they'll get put back in my tank.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 2:56 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Well, I am a beginner w/ shrimp. They are so different than fish!

Kuhlii loaches eat snails. Something to keep in mind.

In my experience and what I have heard on the internet is that kuhlii loaches do not eat snails. I personally have rabbit and bladder snails in that tank and don't really see any empty snail shells and a large population. I'd give it a try

20230217_180306.jpg.4da01b15f7b247a32894376c3f74f5e1.jpg

Goldy and Bluey are in their new home. They have 2 hikari crab cuisine pellets available. It's been a while since I've only had 2 mystery snails to feed, so I'll be keeping a close eye on feeding.

Goldy is about and exploring, Bluey is being more reserved about leaving his shell, but we did move him in the middle of a nap.

I'm sure nobody will be surprised by this, but my 5yo did not perform the ammonia test correctly and I had to redo it to confirm 0 ammonia. I don't mind using a few extra test strips for her to get the experience though. I was pretty sure the 8yo did the multi strips correctly, but I also redid that test to be sure and got the same results he did.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/18/2023 at 1:42 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Guppysnail! You’ve been summoned! 🤣

I loved my guppies. One drop of fry will grow and overwhelm a 10g tank. They drop fry every month but it takes 3 months for them to become colored and large enough to sell 4 for the girls. I had just a girl grow out 20l and that would become crazy downright scary overpopulated. 
Maybe endlers because they stay much smaller or I did least killifish livebearers (mini guppies) in a 10. They are crazy fun and ADORABLE 🥰 

• Love 1

On 2/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You can always get all males

I've been wondering about that. I'm seeing mixed info about how successful that is. And how many should I get if we go that route?

On 2/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

or move fry to the 75g

I'm not positive they'd be eaten reliably enough and I might just end up with 2 guppy tanks then. 

On 2/18/2023 at 2:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

One drop of fry will grow and overwhelm a 10g tank. They drop fry every month but it takes 3 months for them to become colored and large enough to sell 4 for the girls.

Even with as little cover as this tank has?

On 2/18/2023 at 3:46 PM, Katherine said:

Even with as little cover as this tank has

My girls I could not get to eat fry with or without cover. The all males is a hit and miss. The purple boys and orange boys were a no go and constantly nipping but my blue boys were absolutely fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1