please help me choose two more plants

Ohad

My new tank is "so far, so good." Micro sword stopped melting, and new growth started. Everything is converted after two weeks and growing.

I checked water parameters today, and I think that I am good on that front, too; after Fluval stratum and CO2, my Ph is 6.5, Kh 2, GH 8 ( a little high but will be suitable for tropical fish and shrimp)

I am looking for two more plants to add, as you can see in the picture, one in the front under the rock, no grass-like. I would love to have something that is star-shaped and could be either dark green or red but not light green.

On the right side, I am looking for another bush, again ideally not very grass-like and not bright green (in a perfect world, pink or red)  

I love the quality from AQCP; the rest of the plants are from them, but they are sadly limited on the red front. 

Any suggestion would be helpful. 

plantsHelp.jpg

On 2/16/2023 at 11:26 AM, Ohad said:

My new tank is "so far, so good." Micro sword stopped melting, and new growth started. Everything is converted after two weeks and growing.

I checked water parameters today, and I think that I am good on that front, too; after Fluval stratum and CO2, my Ph is 6.5, Kh 2, GH 8 ( a little high but will be suitable for tropical fish and shrimp)

I am looking for two more plants to add, as you can see in the picture, one in the front under the rock, no grass-like. I would love to have something that is star-shaped and could be either dark green or red but not light green.

On the right side, I am looking for another bush, again ideally not very grass-like and not bright green (in a perfect world, pink or red)  

I love the quality from AQCP; the rest of the plants are from them, but they are sadly limited on the red front. 

Any suggestion would be helpful. 

plantsHelp.jpg

I would suggest Downoi for that little space in the front but if that's not the shade of green you like then maybe a crypt flamingo will do. Right side you can look into Alternanthera Lilacina, Rotala H'ra, Ludwigia Palustris, Myriophyllum Heterophyllum

I just noticed your light for this tank. The red plants might struggle on the right side but you can still try. They would either grow (VERY SLOWLY), die or stay the same size as when you got them.

Edited by knee
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2023 at 2:43 PM, knee said:

I just noticed your light for this tank. The red plants might struggle on the right side but you can still try. They would either grow (VERY SLOWLY), die or stay the same size as when you got them.

I know I just order the chihiros WRGBII it in the mail. I thought initially that I could get away with two nano lights . But each of these has only 1000 lumens / 60 litters I have it's only 16 per litter .

The chihiros has 3600 lumens / 60 litters it's 60 per litters so even on 70% it should be plenty right ?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:43 PM, Ohad said:

I know I just order the chihiros WRGBII it in the mail. I thought initially that I could get away with two nano lights . But each of these has only 1000 lumens / 60 litters I have it's only 16 per litter .

The chihiros has 3600 lumens / 60 litters it's 60 per litters so even on 70% it should be plenty right ?

Chihiros, IMO, is one of the best lights for plants. I used them in previous setups and they grew my plants like crazy. 

You could get away with two of the fluvals but I prefer chihiros just incase you wanna upgrade the tank 😄

Also when trying to light a tank, don't rely on just lumens because PAR is what grows the plants. Lumens do play a bit in that part but not entirely. There are lights that are extremely bright (high lumens) but not powerful enough to light the bottom of the tank. I think chihiros also provides their PAR values if you check their website.

• Like 1

I am thinking about getting rid of the micro sword entirely and going for S repens and Downoi in the foreground 

I like what I have going on on the right side right now with the bacopa and the AR after that; I want to get rid of the octopus and get a better green stem (any suggestions ? )  And H'ra.

And on the button, maybe AR mini?

What do you think? @knee now that I will have better light, CO2, and good water, the high-tech look is calling me; I don't have any fish yet, so I can still change things up

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 2:20 PM, Ohad said:

I am thinking about getting rid of the micro sword entirely and going for S repens and Downoi in the foreground 

I like what I have going on on the right side right now with the bacopa and the AR after that; I want to get rid of the octopus and get a better green stem (any suggestions ? )  And H'ra.

And on the button, maybe AR mini?

What do you think? @knee now that I will have better light, CO2, and good water, the high-tech look is calling me; I don't have any fish yet, so I can still change things up

I think the octopus will ruin the proportion of this tank. I have them in my 40 breeder and they take a huge chunk of space at the back corner and are growing FAST without co2. I prefer downoi and S repens, but downoi does grow slow even in high tech setups so keep that in mind. 

Maybe you can replace the Octopus with some Mermaid Weed (Proserpinaca Palustris) but that plant gets red under high light. Maybe hygro compacta can work. It's usually a mid ground plant but with the dimensions of your tank maybe it can be used in the back.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 5:39 PM, knee said:

I think the octopus will ruin the proportion of this tank. I have them in my 40 breeder and they take a huge chunk of space at the back corner and are growing FAST without co2. I prefer downoi and S repens, but downoi does grow slow even in high tech setups so keep that in mind. 

Maybe you can replace the Octopus with some Mermaid Weed (Proserpinaca Palustris) but that plant gets red under high light. Maybe hygro compacta can work. It's usually a mid ground plant but with the dimensions of your tank maybe it can be used in the back.

I have the hydro compacta in the mid ground so far it is shorter than the micro sword but growing fast

@Ohad

What about rotala rotundifolia blood red for the spot on the right? I picked some up recently from my LFS. I'm obviously trying to get it to grow out for me since it is now fully submerged. It is just starting to turn red and is so satisfying. Love the idea of adding reds! 

I also love ammania gracilis, but that may be too grass-like for you. I'm a sucker for the green to red transitions. 

IMG_7364.jpg

Edited by Ali
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 6:03 PM, Ali said:

@Ohad

What about rotala rotundifolia blood red for the spot on the right? I picked some up recently from my LFS. I'm obviously trying to get it to grow out for me since it is now fully submerged. It is just starting to turn red and is so satisfying. Love the idea of adding reds! 

I also love ammania gracilis, but that may be too grass-like for you. I'm a sucker for the green to red transitions. 

IMG_7364.jpg

I like that one I don't have it at LFS but I saw it available from KGTropical that are now working with Tropica! ( only the easy plants ) 

On 2/16/2023 at 7:26 PM, knee said:

You're gonna have to make a journal when you finalize everything for this tank. 🙂

I am learning for sure . And I don't live next to an amazing aquascaping store like people in Europe have . Thank goodness for this forum 

On 2/16/2023 at 8:59 PM, Tait_007 said:

I personally haven’t kept any Crypts, but I’ve seen people use them as a nice, red bush.

I have a few in there . They are more brown then red. Crypt flamingo is the one that is super pink. But it's hard to keep I think , never tried 

On 2/16/2023 at 6:16 PM, Ohad said:

I have a few in there . They are more brown then red. Crypt flamingo is the one that is super pink. But it's hard to keep I think , never tried 

I just bought some and they’re growing well with medium light and no co2. I highly suggest you try it 😁

3268AD0F-6AB2-4D8A-9887-67078EE19A98.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:08 AM, knee said:

3268AD0F-6AB2-4D8A-9887-67078EE19A98.jpeg

I regret not getting this one... We had them in stocks for some time but I didn't buy them, assuming I would not be able to keep it alive. If I had this new tank set up I def would get it.

Hoping to find it again one day :') Looks great!

Wish I did :') One of my fav plants.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2