Cardinal Tetra Bioload....OVERLOAD???

FishkeepingNewb

So we are new to fishkeeping, and decided we want to get some Cardinal Tetras. We researched how many can fit in our 40 breeder tank and decided 20 would be a safe number. We have driftwood, Moss Balls, Java Fern, Amazon Sword, Anubias Barteri, micro sword and mayaca fluvatilis already in the tank. We also have a Seachem Tidal55 and an airstone that is pretty bubbly....

As far as fish we already have, we have 6 Pepper Corys, 3 Mystery Snails, 1 Nerite snail and around 2 cherry shrimps and 1 Amano shrimp. We started this tank two months ago. All of the parameters have been great and show the signs that it is fully cycled.

Okay so here's the main part of my post. We ordered 20 Cardinal Tetras for our tank, and we did that all at once, because shipping. They are coming tomorrow. I thought I did all the research I needed, I watched multiple videos from Aquarium Coop and other videos on Youtube as well. Tonight I was watching a video from Dustin's Fish Tanks and he said DON'T ORDER MORE THAN 5 AT A TIME OF CARDINAL TETRAS, YOU WILL CREATE A HUGE BIOLOAD AND OVERWHELM YOUR ECOSYSTEM.

How worried should I be about this....and what can I do besides test the water like crazy tomorrow and monitor it ready with Prime and stuff? I was really excited about them coming....but now I am starting to really worry that I may kill everything in my tank?

Side note: I know I should have set up a QT but we didn't...and it's too late for that.....we got a little too eager.

IMG_8757.jpg

The bio load has a lot to do with the relationship of how much you feed. The less you feed the less bio load (fish poo) you put on the system. So just don’t feed real heavy. With that being said the tetras may have had food withheld before shipping to eliminate waste in the bags. So I’d at least feed them a little bit. But I don’t think you’re going to have the issues your excepting. Just to be on the safe side test your water I guess? 

Edited by FrostiesFishes

10 hours ago, Cory said:

You'll be fine with 20 cardinal tetras. As Frosties said, it's more to do with feeding than the fish themselves. 

10 hours ago, FrostiesFishes said:

The bio load has a lot to do with the relationship of how much you feed. The less you feed the less bio load (fish poo) you put on the system. So just don’t feed real heavy. With that being said the tetras may have had food withheld before shipping to eliminate waste in the bags. So I’d at least feed them a little bit. But I don’t think you’re going to have the issues your excepting. Just to be on the safe side test your water I guess? 

9 hours ago, Streetwise said:

You have covered your substrate in plants; I see filtration, lights, and plenty of room. Have fun!

Thank you so much everyone! I read these responses as I went to sleep last night and I slept so much better knowing it will all be okay. I love this forum. Thanks again! 

• Like 2