I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's apparently something

eyeebrows

Hi, it's your friendly neighborhood woman with a betta who hates living. I'm just hoping someone can confirm this is fine rot and not torn fins?

He's finally in a proper tank again. It's a tank running since July so not new. Big problem is every time the lights are on he wants to fight his reflection, and I'm wondering if he's so stressed out he's now gotten fin rot? He was fine yesterday, didn't notice anything wrong. Today his tail looks like this.

Tank specs: planted 10g, 77-78f, hob filter, pH 7.8, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Ammonia 0. Water change last night, I use seachem prime. Differences from last week are pH went from 7.2 to 7.8 and nitrate from 5 to 10. 

PXL_20230216_022523996.jpg

• Administrators

It's hard to tell from the photo, but he looks relatively healthy to me. I can't see any fin rot, but if you see any white on the ends of his fins, I would suggest treating him with Fritz Maracyn.  https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/fritz-maracyn

If you don't have access to this medication, erythromycin is the active ingredient and can be found in other fish meds. If you are in a country where meds are not available, aquarium salt can help (hard on plants though). Here is our article on treating with salt: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

On 2/15/2023 at 7:22 PM, Zenzo said:

It's hard to tell from the photo, but he looks relatively healthy to me. I can't see any fin rot, but if you see any white on the ends of his fins, I would suggest treating him with Fritz Maracyn.  https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/fritz-maracyn

If you don't have access to this medication, erythromycin is the active ingredient and can be found in other fish meds. If you are in a country where meds are not available, aquarium salt can help (hard on plants though). Here is our article on treating with salt: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

Thanks for the info! I usually aquarium salt him in the hospital tank, I just hate having to put him back there. 

He usually doesn't have that "tattered" look to his tail fin, which is what's concerning me. I never saw any indication of rot previously though. He had a very sudden bout of fin rot around Jan 7, where a decent hole and white fuzz showed up overnight with no other warning signs previously. I don't know if his colouring just doesn't know early signs or what. 

• Like 1

Is there anything jagged, sharp or rough in the tank he could be tearing his fins on? It could just be standard wear & tear though. 

Another thing you can do as a preventative good measure is add Indian almond leaves/ catappa leaves. The tannins they release have anti-fungal properties. It might not be enough to treat an existing infection but it can help things from setting in. 

On 2/16/2023 at 8:57 AM, Anjum said:

Is there anything jagged, sharp or rough in the tank he could be tearing his fins on? It could just be standard wear & tear though. 

Another thing you can do as a preventative good measure is add Indian almond leaves/ catappa leaves. The tannins they release have anti-fungal properties. It might not be enough to treat an existing infection but it can help things from setting in. 

There's a single rock, though when feeling it I didn't find it sharp. He's a master at injuring himself though so I genuinely don't know. 

I do have catappa leaves in there and I added some extra last night which I'm hoping will help. It doesn't appear to have progressed anymore today but I'm keeping an eye on it. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:55 PM, eyeebrows said:

There's a single rock, though when feeling it I didn't find it sharp. He's a master at injuring himself though so I genuinely don't know. 

I do have catappa leaves in there and I added some extra last night which I'm hoping will help. It doesn't appear to have progressed anymore today but I'm keeping an eye on it. 

Sounds like a good course of action. Bettas are like that, sometimes too rambunctious for their own good. Maybe keep the lights low for a bit too, just try & keep him calm.