epistelys outbreak, how long should i wait to introduce new fish?

neto333

Hi, sadly i got an epistelys outbreak on my 130 gallon tank. I had 3 goldifsh and all of them died. I made the terrible mistake to think it was ick so i tried to raise the temperature but that made things a lot worse, then when i saw that the white dots was in the eyes of my fish i knew it was more likely to be epistelys so i start medicating with kanaplex in the food, sadly my fish died in just 4 days since i saw the first white dots.

How long do i have to wait before introducing new fish? Right now my aquarium is empty, but is fully cycled and im still doing partial water change every week, for the last 2 weeks.

Epistylis is in your tank all the time  only in times of stress weakening your fish immune system  or poor water quality  leading to high bacterial count that you get outbreaks of epistylis it feeds off of gram negative bacterial that grows on the slime coat of your fish causing secondary bacterial infections that what usually kills your fish you can add a UV steriliser to lower the bacterial count I think it would be ok to add fish back in now if you did get an out break of epistylis in the future I would treat with a combination of kanaplex and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallon kanaplex @neto333

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 7:43 PM, Colu said:

Epistylis is in your tank all the time in only in times of stress or poor water quality leading to high bacterial count that you get outbreaks of epistylis it feeds off of gram negative bacterial that grows on the slime coat of your fish causing secondary bacterial infections that what usually kills your fish you can add a UV steriliser to lower the bacterial count I think it would be ok to add fish back in now if you did get an out break of epistylis in the future I would treat with a combination of kanaplex and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallon kanaplex @neto333

thank you 🙂