Corydora Breeding-Which type?

Ben Ellison

That is all relative to opinion and location. If you’ve never bred them before you need to figure out the amount of effort you wanna put in,The amount of money you wanna spend and what fish would do well in your water. As far as most popular i would says false juli, sterbai and panda are among the most popular. I personally like orange lasers the best. But they also come with a price tag. You’ll need to do some homework. 

Like @FrostiesFishessaid it will depend on many factors. Have you ever bred any corydoras? If not, you may want to stick with some of the easier to spawn ones like albino, paleatus, bronze. Your water may be a limiting factor, some of them you may need to use RO or rainwater to entice to spawn. 

Most popular would probably be albino, sterbai, panda

If you're going for rare eques, cool I vote for the orange laser and eques.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 12:52 PM, Ben Ellison said:

I'm leaning towards starting with high fin panda to start with. They seem to be reasonable price and I like em. Green or orange laser are my favorite but like mentioned they are spendy

I’ve had great success with pandas.  I don’t use RO or rain water or do cool water changes, my gravel substrate is on the larger size, I never see any spawning behavior, let alone eggs, but some how I need to take 5, 10, 15 down to the LFS every month or two.  So, I’m guessing they are pretty easy to breed.  

all I do is 1) keep the water clean, 2) feed them lots of high quality food, and give them hiding places the larger fish can’t access easily.  

best of luck, and keep us posted.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm giving a go at breeding angelfish, and I just watched a video where @Cory talked about optimizing setups, and gave an example about breeding angels and sterbai corydoras together. I'm definitely considering this because I love both of them.

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think this is basically the formula for breeding most fish 🙂

Yup.  I keep reading about cold/cool water changes, and removing the eggs, and so on.  Guessing some  of that is true, but not sure that is as critical as the basics: clean water, lots of high quality food.😃