Can somebody please explain Platy Genetics?

Theplatymaster

@Biotope Biologist@The endler guy@Fish Folk

with my adventures in platy keeping and breeding, i have probably been following a wrong concept. In my head a+b=ab when it comes to platy colors, but this doesnt explain something like my all black platy,as neither of its parents had this trait, and neither did THEIR parents.

so is a+b=ab true and i just have a recessive case? someone please help me.

( i cannot get a picture of this fish, he is busy being the dominant male and chasing the others around, so i try to get a picture, its instantly somewhere else)

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 2/15/2023 at 7:03 AM, Theplatymaster said:

@Biotope Biologist@The endler guy@Fish Folk

with my adventures in platy keeping and breeding, i have probably been following a wrong concept. In my head a+b=ab when it comes to platy colors, but this doesnt explain something like my all black platy,as neither of its parents had this trait, and neither did THEIR parents.

so is a+b=ab true and i just have a recessive case? someone please help me.

( i cannot get a picture of this fish, he is busy being the dominant male and chasing the others around, so i try to get a picture, its instantly somewhere else)

Do you know if their great grandparents have all black?

On 2/15/2023 at 9:35 AM, Theplatymaster said:

@The endler guy this black fish was the child of the fish i got from my LFS, or its child, I dont know the color scheme farther back, and i have no good way of knowing, its easier now because all my current fish are bred in my tank, and none came from the store, but it leaves me confused.

I was asking because if we know that one of the parent generations was all black we can know it’s recessive, another way would be to cross it with a non black platy but that would be a lot of work and I’m not sure your that invested in finding the dominance