Molly Death

Louise02

We lost a molly.  When we received her, she immediately showed signs of fin flukes.  We treated the tank water with sea salt and she improved rapidly!  However, we suspected that the other molly had intestinal parasites, so we treated them with Para-Cleanse.  At some point the female started swimming in circles, out of control, then dropping to the floor of the aquarium as though she were dead.  After a couple seeks of this, she died.  There is another molly and a gourami in the tank that she was in (they were together).   Any advise on purging the eco-system? on what this epileptic-type-symptom might have been caused by?  on how to keep the others alive?

On 2/15/2023 at 6:09 AM, Colu said:

What are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate KH etc any rapid breathing listlessness hanging near the surface flashing spitting food out sunken belly @Louise02

Um.  Almost all of the above.  However, the molly has a grotesquely swollen stomach, not sunken.  If it hadn't happened so quickly I would have thought that this male was a pregnant female.  

I am sorry that I don't have the parameters.  I can test tomorrow.  The tank is planted and filtered, and I change water whenever needed.  Now that I think about it, though, even the bacteria collumn must have taken a real hit from the Para-Cleanse.