Favorite Shoaling Speicies

Theplatymaster

Technically the only true schooling species in the hobby, or rather the only ones that actively school (mimic their neighbors movements) are rummynose in large tanks and in large numbers, and certain species of freshly wild caught Cory’s (that haven’t lost their natural behavior) 

Definitely hard to beat the good ol neon tetra, but I due like embers because you can get a TON

On 2/13/2023 at 7:12 PM, Theplatymaster said:

@The endler guy you have amazon puffers?!

No sadly not : ( but the east part of the Amazon Congo is by far the best in every way😉

I like my rummynose (bleheri) just fine, they are great. Unlike the embers, that are not schooling and sometimes not even shoaling, if they are not threatened, which I guess is ok. Nothing beats the behavior of harlequin or glowlight rasboras, they stick to each other and look amazing with the orange hues, closer to schooling than the others. My recently acquired shoaling are white cloud minnows, cant believe someone can fit them in the nano tanks, they utilize the whole damn space and are so fast.

I will surprise you, for schooling my juvenile bolivian rams are winning, they move in a weird pattern of a tight group, one does three strokes, then the fourth, the second, the fifth, the third and they all stop and hover in a ball 🙂 So they get my vote. I wonder if someone will mention odessa barbs, they are so on my list and I heard they shoal real well.

On 2/14/2023 at 3:48 AM, beastie said:

I like my rummynose (bleheri) just fine, they are great. Unlike the embers, that are not schooling and sometimes not even shoaling, if they are not threatened, which I guess is ok. Nothing beats the behavior of harlequin or glowlight rasboras, they stick to each other and look amazing with the orange hues, closer to schooling than the others. My recently acquired shoaling are white cloud minnows, cant believe someone can fit them in the nano tanks, they utilize the whole damn space and are so fast.

I will surprise you, for schooling my juvenile bolivian rams are winning, they move in a weird pattern of a tight group, one does three strokes, then the fourth, the second, the fifth, the third and they all stop and hover in a ball 🙂 So they get my vote. I wonder if someone will mention odessa barbs, they are so on my list and I heard they shoal real well.

I’ll give it to you that embers usually just do their own thing. But when they do from a shoal it’s great! Also when shoaling they kind of follow your hand

On 2/14/2023 at 11:02 AM, The endler guy said:

I’ll give it to you that embers usually just do their own thing. But when they do from a shoal it’s great! Also when shoaling they kind of follow your hand

True true. I still dont like them though, sorry, you caught me at an ember hating stage. Fat and lazy and prone to parasites and compared to rummynose, total bore fest :)) And I had 50 of them. Have about 35 now

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 11:20 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Ouch. How come? 

I suspect weak stock/internal parasites. Some were super thin and bent, some were and still are super fat and few females look like they exploded or smth. Have had them over a year too, recently tried to deworm, maybe it helped.

• Like 1