Should I be using RO water?

Herefishie

I've only had my aquariums for about three months. I'm definitely a newbie. Today I watched Cory's live talk on YouTube. He mentioned he doesn't think it's worth it to use RODI water. I have a dispenser by my sink that dispenses RO water (not RODI) and that's what I've been using. Now I wonder if that's necessary?  I always treat with Prime each week when I do my partial water changes.

I should mention that after each water change I fill up empty gallon milk jugs with water and let them sit in my pantry until I need them the next water change. I checked with my water department and my city water does not have any chlorine or chloramine in it.  I'm just confused if I should bother using the RO water at all.

• Like 1

Like what the others have said it kind of depends on what you keep and how you are using it.  If you only have one small tank or specific species that need water parameters that are very tight RO water can be expensive and you have put additives in it to reach the parameters you need (remineralization etc) 

Most fish people keep can do well on dechlorinated tap water.  I use to tell my customers it depends on how far down the hobby rabbit hole you want to go. I had some that basically turned into chemists by the amount of additives they put in their water while some just squirt some Amquel in their tank and called it good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I have learned since I started in the hobby, if you ask five people how to do something you might get five different answers, lol. Having said that, all of the responses I have received have convinced me it's not necessary for me to use RO water. I watched a video on YouTube once and that "expert" said it was a must so that's why I started. Thanks to all for your great responses! 

• Like 1