Share Your Nerite Snail Experiences! 🐌

Lennie

On 3/21/2023 at 7:17 PM, Katherine said:

I have somehow ended up with no eggs. Maybe I lucked into all males? Seems unlikely since I've had 8 nerites, including 6 currently. 

i used to fine eggs all the time, now i barely find them, what happened in between?

the nerite go a lot more shy. probably due to a platy population boom.

I love this topic. I've had close to 20 different types of nerites!  I haven't read the whole thread but I will later and respond to things. 

Idk if it's been said, but when you get a nerite, you have to understand it had a low survival rate the first month. They are wild caught and live in brackish water. Some acclimate to captivity and freshwater but others do not. Do not get discouraged if your first couple do not make it. Some types of nerites I literally have a roughly 50% survival rate on. Some I have 100% although the sample size on those is only 2 lol. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 5:06 AM, John Henry said:

Can anyone identify the white phallic-like structure on the zebra.  The olive is a suspected male and the zebra is a confirmed, massive egg laying female.

thumbnail_IMG_4590.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4594.jpg

I feel like thats an O-ring nerite, but not sure.

Maybe @Cinnebuns may help!

On 3/22/2023 at 5:36 AM, Lennie said:

feel like thats an O-ring nerite, but not sure.

Not an o-ring. Olive and zebra. 

I believe that is an antenna but I'm not entirely sure. I really don't know how reliable it is but that's one way it's been suggested you can sex them. 

download (2).png

• Like 1

I have three nerites - 1 huge Zebra, 1 tiger and 1 horned - I don't really think they have a preference in terms of surfaces, I do notice the tiger and zebra on the glass more than the horned, but that's about it...I have recently acquired some ramshorns from my brother-in-law (he and I are big MD fans too...) - I've had bladder before and didn't like them, but the rams are clear shell/pink body and are really cool ❤️ - I personally prefer the algae control of the ramshorns better than the nerites - except for the glass, they work very well on all plants and have just enough to keep numbers under control...I also get a kick out of when they "jump" off of a plant, or floating plant, and start floating around the tank until they grab onto something else 😄

• Like 1

I began with two Zebras and two Tigers, 5 years ago.  They began dying off last fall, so I'm down to a lone tiger now.  I can't say they were the wonderful cleaners they were rumored to be, but they did their part and were fun to watch.  A "snails pace" can be pretty fast when they want it to be.

The females laid eggs everywhere including on other snails. One disappeared for about 2 weeks and was presumed lost until I saw it climbing out from underneath the UGF.  The lift tubes were a favorite hangout until I blocked them.  Mine were amazingly acrobatic.  I 've seen them climb a Vallisneria and ride it back down to the substrate.  I've seen them stretch across wide gaps between plants.  They never attempted to escape, but did occasionally visit the HOB spillway.

991241397_3Snail.jpg.c0131e937e5abb74716

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 4:25 PM, Sora said:

my nerite snail once somehow found her way Inside of my HOB, still kinda confused on how she got there lol!

Same! That was the only attempt of a snail escape I have seen.

Thankfully I was awake and heard the noise! It could end up very bad…

On 3/22/2023 at 3:54 PM, DebSills said:

I have three nerites - 1 huge Zebra, 1 tiger and 1 horned - I don't really think they have a preference in terms of surfaces, I do notice the tiger and zebra on the glass more than the horned, but that's about it...I have recently acquired some ramshorns from my brother-in-law (he and I are big MD fans too...) - I've had bladder before and didn't like them, but the rams are clear shell/pink body and are really cool ❤️ - I personally prefer the algae control of the ramshorns better than the nerites - except for the glass, they work very well on all plants and have just enough to keep numbers under control...I also get a kick out of when they "jump" off of a plant, or floating plant, and start floating around the tank until they grab onto something else 😄

I can’t happen to find those beautiful ramshorns here! The pinks, reds  and leopards look very cool

On 3/22/2023 at 4:35 PM, Tanked said:

I began with two Zebras and two Tigers, 5 years ago.  They began dying off last fall, so I'm down to a lone tiger now.  I can't say they were the wonderful cleaners they were rumored to be, but they did their part and were fun to watch.  A "snails pace" can be pretty fast when they want it to be.

The females laid eggs everywhere including on other snails. One disappeared for about 2 weeks and was presumed lost until I saw it climbing out from underneath the UGF.  The lift tubes were a favorite hangout until I blocked them.  Mine were amazingly acrobatic.  I 've seen them climb a Vallisneria and ride it back down to the substrate.  I've seen them stretch across wide gaps between plants.  They never attempted to escape, but did occasionally visit the HOB spillway.

991241397_3Snail.jpg.c0131e937e5abb74716

5 years is a very good lifespan for them! They should’ve really liked it in there in your tank.

Do you keep your tanks on colder side or were they accepting any commercial foods by any means? I need the secrets of this 5 year lifepans :))

On 3/22/2023 at 9:36 AM, Lennie said:

I can’t happen to find those beautiful ramshorns here! The pinks, reds  and leopards look very cool

I'm not sure where he found them actually...he has two 10gs set up with his colonies of rice fish (to separate the color variations) and both tanks had rams in them...he gave me a few and I now have them in all my tanks 🙂

On 3/22/2023 at 9:36 AM, Lennie said:

5 years is a very good lifespan for them! They should’ve really liked it in there in your tank.

Do you keep your tanks on colder side or were they accepting any commercial foods by any means? I need the secrets of this 5 year lifepans :))

It could be that I just got lucky!  Except for what I mentioned above, mine did not seem to be that interested in the plants. Gravel cleaning and wall climbing was their thing.  There were the occasional tracks along the water line as they scraped off what my very hard water leaves behind.  The standard fare in the tank is commercial flakes.  Temperatures are 76-77 in the winter and whatever summer brings.  My tanks are over filtered, having both HOB and under gravel filters.  Maintenance is minimal, so the  parameters remain stable.  

• Like 1

While I’m a Japanese trapdoor lover at heart, I also have zebra and marbled limpet neritres that I adore. Both are great algae eaters and pretty active, but the limpet nerite tends to stick to glass and rocks (she’s a great glass cleaner), while the zebra cruises the whole tank, including plants, wood and substrate. The limpet does lay eggs, but probably at about 1/3rd of the rate of the zebra. Her only drawback is that she’s damn near impossible to move - you really can’t pry them off the glass without risking serious injury to the snail. When I had to relocate her to another tank to treat for planaria, I had to wait until she was on the glass near the bottom of the tank. Once I found her there, I wedged a shot glass over her, and checked multiple times per day until I caught her climbing on the shot glass, at which point I was able to relocate the whole shot glass, snail and all, to the temporary tank. It was a multi-day process, so if you’re looking for a nerite that you can move between tanks they’re definitely not the one for you. Otherwise, I think limpet nerites are a really cool, under-appreciated option for keeping your glass squeaky clean!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 4:27 PM, Lennie said:

I wish we had those here!!

I like their look too. But I have never seen them irl before :')

That’s too bad - they’re cool critters but I understand the concerns about invasive species. I’m in Ontario where they’re hard to find (maybe subject to an import ban?), but every once in a while they pop up at pond centres. I’ve never found the elusive blue ones though… maybe one day!

On 3/25/2023 at 11:36 PM, Mojie said:

That’s too bad - they’re cool critters but I understand the concerns about invasive species. I’m in Ontario where they’re hard to find (maybe subject to an import ban?), but every once in a while they pop up at pond centres. I’ve never found the elusive blue ones though… maybe one day!

I think it is just that snails are not popular much in the hobby in my country I guess. We only have nerites, some mystery snails variations and rabbit snails.

Besides "pest" snails ofc.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:36 AM, Lennie said:

can’t happen to find those beautiful ramshorns here! The pinks, reds  and leopards look very cool

You can line breed the colors yourself!  If they are that rare there you might make some money doing it!  I can guide you to their genetics. 

On 3/26/2023 at 5:54 PM, Cinnebuns said:

You can line breed the colors yourself!  If they are that rare there you might make some money doing it!  I can guide you to their genetics. 

Thanks for the help offer!

I am not planning to keep or breed them, at least for now. But if I do in the future I will let you know!

Lately, I've decided to keep myself off from snails for a bit, after losing Rick. 

I am planning to focus on my fish more instead.

• Love 1