Do You Have A LFS?

Theplatymaster

On 2/12/2023 at 9:02 PM, Devon said:

I have 2. Twin Cities Guppies (retail partner) & Quality Aquatics (ACO did a store tour).

I'm near those as well.  Welcome to the forum fellow Twin Cities aquarist!  You know you you get a discount at both those places if you are a Minnesota Aquarium Society (MAS) member.  Just saying.  But even non-members can attend our online monthly meetings.  😁  Too hard of a sell? 

• Like 1

1) yes

2) probably about 20 within a 30 min drive radius.

3) 3 are a franchise aquarium and fish store.

4 are big box (ish) pet store chain.

The rest are independent stores with different specialities two great koi centres great, one Betta importer, one is axolotl and turtle focused. The nearest store to me has stopped stocking fish but is a used tank reseller that is 3mins walk from my door. They next nearest has recently added freshwater to an established marine shop still a little random but immaculately clean. That's a 10 mins walk along a canal if I fancy a trip. 

We have one. They are stoopid expensive, and they're fish look like Gary Busey on a bad day. Don't get me wrong, they get cool stuff (baby electric eels once). I never buy anything from there. My youngest likes to go and see the big fish. I like to ask about the illegal fish they seem to regularly have (like the snake heads we saw last time we were there).

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2023 at 10:01 AM, Katherine said:

I have been to 4 in my area. Google thinks there might be a few more. 2 look like general pet shops that might or might not have fish. It's a 20-40 minute drive depending on which store I want to go to.

Same I think there may be a few pretty close to me but they look like pet shops or very sketchy (even worse than bbs)

On 2/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, The endler guy said:

Same I think there may be a few pretty close to me but they look like pet shops or very sketchy (even worse than bbs)

Yeah, I'd agree on sketchy. One I remember going to for stuff for rodents as a kid before we had a big box. Not a place I'd go again if things haven't changed a ton.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 12:57 PM, Tanked said:

Hubris killed what was arguably the best store decades ago.

I'm intrigued. Can you expand on this?

To answer OP's question: yes, I have one LFS, about 25 minutes away.
They quarantine their fish, which is a plus, the staff SEEMS knowledgeable.

It's okay, nothing extraordinary. 

We had a great LFS that had been in business since 1965. 

Owner wanted to retire, no buyers for what ever reason, so he sold it.

I miss them dreadfully. 
There is one that is an hour one way that is okay. 

On 2/12/2023 at 5:27 AM, Theplatymaster said:

The question is simple. Do you have a LFS? I know some people are talking about going to Big Box Stores ( i was going to type the abreviation BBS, but that is more often Baby Brine Shrimp) because they dont have a LFS. Im trying to understand better how many user on here have LFSs.

So 1.do you have one?

2.If yes How Many

3.If yes how far away is it from you?

there is no need to post any store names here.

It's kind of a weird issue for me.  Similar to something MTPK has for his (I believe).

I moved "up the hill" which is the mountain pass and I'm up at the top of the pass.  To get down it's one road up, one down, 30-40 miles at ridiculously unsafe conditions..... PEOPLE CAN'T DRIVE SLOW.

Unfortunately the stores I do have up here are very, very small and saltwater.  My closest local shop is up in the mountain village and does have a good reputation.  More "unsafe" roads to get there, but I'd love being able to go there, heck, work and live there would be awesome if it was feasible.

Down the hill, there's 4-5 cities.  2 to the east, 2 to the south, then you have what amounts to "LA" to the west.  Lots of traffic, but the term local here usually means you're driving 70+ miles one way.  Often.  Whether it's for work or a day trip, you're driving.

Going to the local shop ~100 miles round trip.  This does limit things like buying certain food or driving that distance to take fish is pretty unreasonable.  I can do this now, because I can bag them.... I would absolutely love to be able to make a trip like that one day.

To the questions:
1. Yes, but it's only saltwater, mostly sells corals and things for saltwater.  Meds, hardscape, items you'd use are basically nonexistent.  You get coral foods, frozen foods, 1-2 tanks of fish, and then I got ripped off getting a refractometer there paying ~$70 for what was on amazon from the same brand and company for $20.  After that, I have 2 petsmarts, 2 petcos in the area.

2.  Just the one.  There are a few "pet shops" but in terms of an aquarium store, the best you'll get is a reptile shop that has some tanks to sell some common items, but not much in terms of selection.  It's about.... 1/4 the size or smaller in terms of what foods and other things are available.

3.  Probably a 10 mile drive. one way.  Getting to the store I prefer to go to is 16 miles one way.  "local shop" as mentioned above is far further.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, knee said:

- Yes (I frequently visit 4 stores that are close to me)

living the dream.  LOL.  See above.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:56 PM, Sharon M said:

I'm intrigued. Can you expand on this?

Picture a successful LFS a little larger than your average convenience store.  Now picture that store growing into a location 4x larger.  It had nearly everything you could ask for except a customer or beginner friendly atmosphere.

Owners/employees were usually gathered at the sales desk, too busy with personal conversations to help customers. If you could drag one away, you would get a short clipped answer to your question from someone who seemed to be annoyed that you would ask such a stupid question. I really liked the the store itself, but it reminded me of a trip to the zoo where visitors are generally ignored because the staff's primary concerns are the animals.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 10:00 AM, Tanked said:

Picture a successful LFS a little larger than your average convenience store.  Now picture that store growing into a location 4x larger.  It had nearly everything you could ask for except a customer or beginner friendly atmosphere.

Owners/employees were usually gathered at the sales desk, too busy with personal conversations to help customers. If you could drag one away, you would get a short clipped answer to your question from someone who seemed to be annoyed that you would ask such a stupid question. I really liked the the store itself, but it reminded me of a trip to the zoo where visitors are generally ignored because the staff's primary concerns are the animals.

That is sad. I don't understand why they thought this was a good approach.
People will not shop at a store that makes them feel unwanted. 

You WANT customers to feel good in your store.

One thing I've noticed about (some)animal people: they dislike people, and think that working with animals will give them a break, so to speak, from humans, lol. 
They forget that those animals have people attached to them too. 

I say this as someone who loves animals and nature too, having spent my life working with my beloved cows, then dogs.

I like people too though, most of them. 

• Haha 1

We have several (at least 3) LFS within a 20 minute drive, in addition to two fish farms Cory has been to (Summerland and Neighborhood Fish Farms). I get most of my fish from the fish farms. I try to support the LFS when I can, so I'll drop in to check out their plants and frozen foods. I still end up getting most of my plants from ACO and APF, online. I try to only go to the big box stores for their $1 per gallon sales. 

• Like 1

Even though COVID wiped out a few there are still lots of LFS in my area.

1. I have multiple LFS
  2. Probably around 10 total
  3. These vary from a 20 minute drive to around an hour drive

One of the LFS that's really near me has tons of hardscape and tanks to choose from. It used to be an old roller-skate rink and it's absolutely mammoth inside. Their livestock always seemed iffy to me but I've bought plants and hardware there and never had any issues. Most of the LFS are combo fresh/salt and it's always fun going into another close-by one and checking up on their healthy and stunning Moorish Idol who has been alive and chilling there for years now.

20180810_112147.jpg

20180810_112220.jpg

20180810_112239.jpg

Edited by neitherman
Photo Dump!
  • Love 2

1. Yes.

2. There's maybe like 3 by me, but there's really only 1 that I frequent cause they have a wide selection of fish, decor, etc.

3. The one I frequent is about 15 minutes away from the house, the others are like 10.

I've got big box stores even closer to me, and I'll go to them for the hardware (tanks, equipment, etc.).  I've gotten some fish from them, but their selection is very limited.  They don't offer a wide variety of plants either (and they don't look very healthy either), so ACO has been my go-to for them.

I'm envious.

There used to be place in Reistertown, MD, just outside of Baltimore, that was better than most tourist aquariums, but they shut down pre-pandemic.  As has been referenced before, the owner wanted to sell, but couldnt find a buyer.  I pass through DC and Northern Virginia frequently enough, but haven't found a great store there yet.

On 2/14/2023 at 12:40 PM, neitherman said:

Even though COVID wiped out a few there are still lots of LFS in my area.

1. I have multiple LFS
  2. Probably around 10 total
  3. These vary from a 20 minute drive to around an hour drive

One of the LFS that's really near me has tons of hardscape and tanks to choose from. It used to be an old roller-skate rink and it's absolutely mammoth inside. Their livestock always seemed iffy to me but I've bought plants and hardware there and never had any issues. Most of the LFS are combo fresh/salt and it's always fun going into another close-by one and checking up on their healthy and stunning Moorish Idol who has been alive and chilling there for years now.

20180810_112239.jpg

That tank is stunning. 

I love the middle one too. 

I am so jealous right now!!

On 2/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Disclaimer: I understand this could cause some fights/jealousy, this is not my intention with this post.

The question is simple. Do you have a LFS? I know some people are talking about going to Big Box Stores ( i was going to type the abreviation BBS, but that is more often Baby Brine Shrimp) because they dont have a LFS. Im trying to understand better how many user on here have LFSs.

So 1.do you have one?

2.If yes How Many

3.If yes how far away is it from you?

there is no need to post any store names here.

so here is me:

1.I have a LFS

2.I am very fortunate i have 2 and they are both pretty good. For me its a trade off  of going to the smaller one, less selection but cheaper, or the bigger one more selection but more expensive.

3. 1 is a 10-15minute walk, the other is around a 20minute drive, but can be reached by public transit (as i said im very fortnate when it comes to LFSs)

I live in Philadelphia. I have 2 LFS. Both are 30-50 minutes of driving on either direction of the city. One is in New Jersey. They are very successful with such gorgeous displays, everything you would want in a LFS. The other one is in PA and has a fine selection but has serious cleanliness and management issues. It blows my mind that in a major city like Philly there aren’t more accessible, successful LFS. 

1.do you have one?

I live in CO and am fortunate to have many options within 30-60 minutes  drive in basically any direction. It’s been fun to see @Irene Instagram and YouTube videos and go “I know that place! I was just there the other day!”  One day I’m gonna run into her at one of these LFS’s, one day lol  

2.If yes How Many

Let’s see… Off the top of my head… 6, not including big box stores.

3.If yes how far away is it from you?

As originally stated, they’re all within 30-60 minutes drive. More like 30-45 minutes, really. The LFS I work with the most is 30 minutes from my house to their door. It’s crazy that I have so many around me, and big box stores on top of that, yet there’s TONS of fish and plants I’ve only seen in pictures and videos and never in real life. I guess it probably has to do with what’s popular/selling in my area, right?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 9:02 AM, gardenman said:

Not really. There's a local pet store that has tanks, but don't really take good care of them and don't have knowledgeable staff. The nearest true LFS is about thirty miles away. Go back thirty-forty years and there were probably twenty (or more) good fish stores within thirty miles. The local fish stores have become a dying breed.

The 70s and 80s were the peak of the tropical fish hobby here in the South Jersey area. Every town had one or more stores and all were staffed by folks who knew their stuff. More often than not you'd be dealing with the store owner when you went to them. Some of the bigger stores would hire staff, but they trained them up and typically hired hobbyists who already knew their stuff. Everyone wanted you to succeed. 

It's a tough business to succeed in these days as crazies will poison tanks and kill your stock. (As happened to Predatory Fins in their massive display tank when they were in Florida. And also to Aquarium Center at their old Clementon, NJ location when someone poured mercury into their tanks.) You need the tanks accessible to catch the fish, but there are enough crazies around to put you out of business pretty quickly. 

Hey Gardenman, where in South Jersey? Martin's was my go-to during that time period.

I am in Montana.  Does Petco count? I buy my aquariums there.  I always get  Fluval “aquariums in a box” because I like the aesthetics, I like modding them, and I prefer to pick up such things in person where we can unbox and check the aquarium in-store.

For the livestock, 2 weeks ago, I drove 5.5 hours, each way, to Fish World in Spokane, WA to buy my celestial pearl danios, neocaradina shrimp, chili rasboras and some floating plants.  I didn’t want to buy fish online it was down to -20* F.

I order my plants, ferts, and fish food from Aquarium Co Op.