Possible Cory Eggs?!?!

FLFishChik

On 2/11/2023 at 8:11 AM, FLFishChik said:

@Cinnebuns, @nabokovfan87 I woke up this morning after the big rescape to see this! Could it be??? Panda Cory eggs???? There’s only 4 and I doubt anything will come if them, but even so… if it’s Cory eggs I’ll take it as a good sign! 

Definitely not Nerite eggs and only other fish in the tank are Cardinal Tetra and Otocinclus.

945723E2-1975-4B34-BEFC-39B2AB2415A1.jpeg

Looks like cory eggs to me!  I know colors in pics can be off sometimes but they look to me to be mostly fertile. The top one is def questionable and might get fuzzy. 

If you want them to hatch, I suggest pulling them into at least a breeder box. If you don't want to do that I would at least hide them under some moss or something. Out in the open like that is prime eating potential. If you do move them, try to seperate them as well. Infertile ones will spread fungus to fertile ones. 

Pandas are one of the cory species that lay a smaller amount of eggs but more frequently. This, combines with the fact it may be the first time they spawned, means it's possible it's only these 4. It is however also entirely possible there is more hiding around the tank. I've had up to 70 from 1 female in 1 night once. When I first started tho 4 was a very typical amount. 

Congratz!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Looks like cory eggs to me!  I know colors in pics can be off sometimes but they look to me to be mostly fertile. The top one is def questionable and might get fuzzy. 

If you want them to hatch, I suggest pulling them into at least a breeder box. If you don't want to do that I would at least hide them under some moss or something. Out in the open like that is prime eating potential. If you do move them, try to seperate them as well. Infertile ones will spread fungus to fertile ones. 

Pandas are one of the cory species that lay a smaller amount of eggs but more frequently. This, combines with the fact it may be the first time they spawned, means it's possible it's only these 4. It is however also entirely possible there is more hiding around the tank. I've had up to 70 from 1 female in 1 night once. When I first started tho 4 was a very typical amount. 

Congratz!!

I have an empty 3g that I use as a hospital tank, I could move them to that. I’m heading up to the hospital now, but will set it up when I come home later and try and move them (how do I do that, exactly?) do you think they will be ok until then? And if they do hatch, I’ve not any live foods. I do have frozen bbs and Repashy in hand though

On 2/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, Cinnebuns said:

If you want them to hatch, I suggest pulling them into at least a breeder box. If you don't want to do that I would at least hide them under some moss or something.

Hide them under moss! How have I never thought of that?! I've just been either leaving my corydoras eggs to their fate moving them to a tank with too many snails and hoping - in vain, apparently - that they'd hatch before the snails found them. Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yep. Cory eggs. 🙂

On 2/11/2023 at 7:01 AM, FLFishChik said:

I have an empty 3g that I use as a hospital tank, I could move them to that. I’m heading up to the hospital now, but will set it up when I come home later and try and move them (how do I do that, exactly?) do you think they will be ok until then? And if they do hatch, I’ve not any live foods. I do have frozen bbs and Repashy in hand though

Let them do their thing. Honestly. More eggs will come.

The tank they are in has plenty of food for them. When you feed with the fish, you can add in some smaller powders and let them eat or graze on it. I've raised a lot of fry with just repashy, add in a bit extra water to make it softer, and just let that be available to them at night. This was before I knew you could feed repashy powder. They will hide and graze on the plants and rocks and eat things off that way, good for their gut to be in an established tank.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 9:01 AM, FLFishChik said:

how do I do that, exactly

You can just roll them off the glass usually when they are fresh when they have been up longer they harden more and become less sticky and rolling becomes more difficult. You can gently grip them between two fingers. They are pretty sturdy so don't worry but like any egg enough pressure will squish. I suggest trying to roll first and see how it goes. 

do you think they will be ok until then?

That's really hard to say depending on many factors. I've had eggs eaten the second they were laid and some that hatched before anyone, including me, noticed they were there. 

And if they do hatch, I’ve not any live foods. I do have frozen bbs and Repashy in hand though

Cories do thrive best on live foods since they do not eat when fed like guppies yes but it us nowhere near required. I have never done live foods. First thing that's important to note is they won't eat for the first 3 days anyway. They grow incredibly fast at that time and feed on the egg yolk. After that I feed first bites as well as intentionally cultivated micro organism and biofilm in the tank. Bacter ae can help if you have it on hand. If you don't, don't worry about getting it as it's not as big of a deal for cories as with shrimp. Any food fine and crushed should work. 

On 2/11/2023 at 10:09 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Hide them under moss! How have I never thought of that?! I've just been either leaving my corydoras eggs to their fate moving them to a tank with too many snails and hoping - in vain, apparently - that they'd hatch before the snails found them. Thanks for the idea!

Depending on the size of the snail they may still be able to get under the moss. I know I find ramshorn snails under all kinds of things. 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:56 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

The tank they are in has plenty of food for them.

So much this!  Even when my tank was only 1 months old it had enough stuff around the tank to support 2 fry growing up without my knowledge. And since it has supported dozens fry whos eggs have evaded my efforts to pull eggs. Tanks have much more food in them than we think!

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found more eggs today! I noticed one of my red dwarf lily pads was upside down in the surface. When I went to turn it over, a bunch of eggs fell off . Few of them landed on the substrate making them impossible to find, a few stayed on the leaf and I left it upside down… and a few landed in my hand. Those I tried to deposit into the Pearl Weed to conceal them. There are also a few on the glass. We’ll see if any of them make it!

• Love 1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:30 PM, FLFishChik said:

Well, I found more eggs today! I noticed one of my red dwarf lily pads was upside down in the surface. When I went to turn it over, a bunch of eggs fell off . Few of them landed on the substrate making them impossible to find, a few stayed on the leaf and I left it upside down… and a few landed in my hand. Those I tried to deposit into the Pearl Weed to conceal them. There are also a few on the glass. We’ll see if any of them make it!

Smart thinking hiding them in Pearl weed!  Crossing my fingers for you that babies are in your future!

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:29 PM, Theplatymaster said:

maybe put a net over them or something to protect them?

Actually, I placed a few in the Pearl weed, I removed the remaining dozen and moved them to the empty betta tank (he’s currently in hospital tank). IDK if those will make it as the heater in that tank is a preset heater and runs at about 78-79F

On 2/22/2023 at 8:00 PM, Theplatymaster said:

youd be suprised how fast they grow in a week.

So, they just kind of landed wherever because 1) this is my first attempt at moving the eggs and I already list a few (the ones on the glass) trying to move them and they fell to the substrate and 2) they aren’t exactly the easiest things to move gracefully. But I found 3 of them once they landed in the smaller tank

131A6ED1-2919-405B-B176-9416EED169B8.jpeg

2A6B95F1-BF63-46B6-AFFF-0F70FD636270.jpeg

D709F688-7390-4114-9FB2-9464F3EAAFDC.jpeg

On 2/22/2023 at 8:11 PM, FLFishChik said:

So, they just kind of landed wherever because 1) this is my first attempt at moving the eggs and I already list a few (the ones on the glass) trying to move them and they fell to the substrate and 2) they aren’t exactly the easiest things to move gracefully. But I found 3 of them once they landed in the smaller tank

131A6ED1-2919-405B-B176-9416EED169B8.jpeg

2A6B95F1-BF63-46B6-AFFF-0F70FD636270.jpeg

D709F688-7390-4114-9FB2-9464F3EAAFDC.jpeg

well, we'll have to see what happens to the eggs. hoepfully some fry.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 5:11 PM, FLFishChik said:

So, they just kind of landed wherever because 1) this is my first attempt at moving the eggs and I already list a few (the ones on the glass) trying to move them and they fell to the substrate and 2) they aren’t exactly the easiest things to move gracefully. But I found 3 of them once they landed in the smaller tank.

A turkey baster comes in really handy for that too. Trust your fingers. Trust yourself to roll and move the eggs. Be firm but gentle and just put em where you want them. I've even used tongs and moss or a net. (net in the tank and then use my finger to feed them into the net underwater to move them)

Raising eggs is a fun experience, you learn a ton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know you gotten advice already but use a credit card(actually a library card because it is thinner) to get them off the glass. My egg have always been pretty sticky. For ones like in the pic above I would just remove them and put them in a floating container, either by hand, card or baster as mentioned above. I use Tupperware. To float in the tank and change water out half way with a baster and add new tank water in. That’s the best luck I have had removing. My best hatches were when I had the moss from the bottom to the top that was very thick. They would laid the eggs on the tall moss and it was really to thick for them to get back and eat the fry went they would fall to the bottom. This is triming from the tall moss. You can see how thick. I would get 40 a spawn with 6 females. I’m trying to replicate it with out the moss because this was a land moss and lasts about 8 monthBAF9FDD9-8A54-4262-864A-F377D4092D40.jpeg.e1209f4060d2e05cd3eb36a5c9e9b953.jpeg

• Thanks 1