Betta fin problem

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Ok. Kanaplex is in w/ the mild salt. Some dum dum OD’d the tank and put 2X the amount in, out of habit of dosing the qt tank, which is larger volume. Hence dum dum was then doing 50% water change. 🤦🏻‍♀️

ANYWAY… did I tell you Kratos moved out last night?  It was dark, I flicked on the light and someone got busted! I wonder how many times he’s done this after dark? Sneaky sneaky sneaky!

1FCA4218-BE03-4EB4-AC60-713EEBFF33DA.png.a6dfc2ccb4125230c22681038ba29d33.png

@xXInkedPhoenixX is right. Keeping a betta is difficult. 😞 But I have you guys helping so I’m very thankful. 💋

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 7:00 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Some other thoughts

could my light be too bright causing stress?

is the detritus from the nerite causing an issue? It tends be be scattered about the substrate throughout the week until I do the water change, then I suck up as much as I can.

Eh.. pothos wasn’t introduced until after issue was in progress.

Detritus should be fine for all fish, besides it being decaying organic material 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 7:47 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I thought so, as long as it’s not affecting parameters. Some concerns were raised earlier about bacteria, even the bacteria on catappa leaves, so that’s why I thought to ask. 

True but if it was bacterial and the detrital matter isn’t contributing nutrients then it shouldn’t effect growth of bacteria 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:05 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yep. IMO they are not a beginner fish. 

I was ready after following your colossal journal, and had my “medicine cabinet” stocked. Weird he didn’t have problems until recently. Not sure why that is. Anyway, he’s in good spirits and had some bloodworms for breakfast.

He was flaring at the front of the tank this morning. Not much I can do about that! He does have his Kanaplex and salt though.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

Sounds like Gepetto and Grace would have fun if they could tolerate one another.

Pandas were spawning again, even saw the black corydoras doing their thing yesterday. Had a massive dust storm, but probably just food related.

Hopefully the little guy keeps having good days. Even if the pouty face is hilarious or adorable some days. Feel better G-man.

• Love 1

That's exactly my frustration with them. You can do everything right and then, bam, something weird and unexpected out of the blue. Most of the other fish I keep, there's usually a reason you can find that causes their injury or illness. I still think most of it is genetics. Often times I think it stems from the super long fins that a lot of them have like in Gepetto's case (I worry for my two rescue males who have extra long fins- they will at some point be an issue I suspect). 

• Confused 1

On 2/15/2023 at 10:53 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

That's exactly my frustration with them. You can do everything right and then, bam, something weird and unexpected out of the blue. Most of the other fish I keep, there's usually a reason you can find that causes their injury or illness. I still think most of it is genetics. Often times I think it stems from the super long fins that a lot of them have like in Gepetto's case (I worry for my two rescue males who have extra long fins- they will at some point be an issue I suspect). 

I do think @Odd Duck is right about the fin biting this time because in the morning I put up the walls to reduce reflections and after I got home from work, half his tail was gone.  Doubt an illness could do that, that quickly.  I think the walls drove him crazy and he must have felt trapped. ☹️  He's social and tracks my movements around the fish room, so I don't know if walls are a good fit for him long term.  Just trying things out, one at a time.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:05 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Pandas were spawning again

Are you still planning on adopting out the pandas, because I see you're about to set up the 75?

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 8:28 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Are you still planning on adopting out the pandas, because I see you're about to set up the 75?

Black corydoras going in there.

Yes. Planning to.

On 2/15/2023 at 8:28 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

He's social and tracks my movements around the fish room, so I don't know if walls are a good fit for him long term.  Just trying things out, one at a time.

Give him time to adjust. At least a few days. Then decide to remove them. He may actually feel safer, difficult to say.

Most fish would.

The other thing you can do is setup a ceramic pot for him as a type of cover / cave for him.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:49 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

type of cover / cave for him

Ohhh yes, I totally agree with this. All of my Betta have suction cup caves I got them from Etsy (you can make your own). I think they benefit more from the type that can sit at the surface of the water because they are air breathers they don't have to leave the cave if you put it in a way they have an air pocket along the top. Mine ALL use them and seem to really like them. This gives them a great place to sleep, feel secure and hide from things that might be bothering them through the day. 

image000000(161).jpg

image000000(160).jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/15/2023 at 12:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Black corydoras going in there.

Yes. Planning to.

Give him time to adjust. At least a few days. Then decide to remove them. He may actually feel safer, difficult to say.

Most fish would.

The other thing you can do is setup a ceramic pot for him as a type of cover / cave for him.

I had one in there but he didn’t use it. He used all the other swimthroughs, just not that one.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:57 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Ohhh yes, I totally agree with this. All of my Betta have suction cup caves I got them from Etsy (you can make your own). I think they benefit more from the type that can sit at the surface of the water because they are air breathers they don't have to leave the cave if you put it in a way they have an air pocket along the top. Mine ALL use them and seem to really like them. This gives them a great place to sleep, feel secure and hide from things that might be bothering them through the day. 

image000000(161).jpg

image000000(160).jpg

I made him one from a pvc pipe but I need a new suction cup. The pipe is on the sand for the time being. He does enjoy it.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I made him one from a pvc pipe but I need a new suction cup. The pipe is on the sand for the time being. He does enjoy it.

Awesome.  Should be enough to give him a place to go!  I must've missed it when looking at the tank photos.  Oh whale.

Totally see it now.  😞

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 5:17 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Awesome.  Should be enough to give him a place to go!  I must've missed it when looking at the tank photos.  Oh whale.

Totally see it now.  😞

Yeah it was at the top before. He loves to use it up there. The rock is a swim thru also.

C8122959-19FD-4B0D-A2AF-3129088D3F08.jpeg

Alrighty. Just got home and rigged the pvc to be at top. Left air in it per @xXInkedPhoenixX suggestion. He is loving it. His first time back thru it he took a breath halfway. ☺️

Pardon bad lighting. Tank lights went off and it’s just room lighting now.

C399BBE5-DBF2-455A-9C80-D13AA3BFC59F.jpeg.f221f7b70fb79950767563b7890d0f2f.jpeg

3088E405-31FA-45AC-B48D-38E98F50632A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 2/19/2023 at 5:15 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Kanaplex

Completed round 2?

Went to give Riddick some meds this morning. I can't even explain how, the lid flopped out of my hand and the little spoon had the meds flying up in the air. Thankfully a mostly empty container but I have learned to dislike that little spoon lid.

2-3 more days and then I gotta decide what to do with em if he doesn't clear up. I'm thinking he (or she) will end up being in the plant tank and enjoy helping me fert the tank. 😞