Pygmy Cory’s

AllFishNoBrakes

What’s up everyone? I noticed for the first time today that I have Pygmy Cory eggs!

47142A68-93BD-4A99-944F-5E2C4379DB16.jpeg

FBEB7DB2-D867-40B8-BFC3-709F16DF77AE.jpeg

EDB9C7F2-760C-4182-ADDB-6E3CFC755E93.jpeg

After the Super Bowl I’ll have something fun and new to try as my life returns to normal. Anybody have advice on food for what I assume will be microscopic fry? I have Sera Micron and Hikari First Bites on hand. Will that suffice until they’re big enough to eat BBS? I’m confident in hatching the eggs, just have never tried to feed up these guys until they can eat BBS. Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Love 1

Leave that mulm on your gravel alone - the fry will eat it and/or whatever's growing in it.  I have two planted community tanks with pygmy corys making fry - The fry are TINY, stay on the bottom usually where there is a good layer of mulm near rocks or dense plants, and they nibble at the mulm.  Have fun with them they're AWESOME - 

@Mary W. That mulm isn’t going anywhere! Lol. With my crazy work schedule over the weekend these eggs are staying and I’ll see if I have tiny guys in a few weeks. Not expecting much as there’s also an African Dwarf Frog in this tank, but we’ll see what happens. 

The next round of eggs I’ll probably pull them and try to raise them myself. Experimenting is half the fun!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:44 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@Schuyler Great question. I actually got this group from Aqua Huna. I just searched my email and they were delivered on 4/20/22.  They came in super tiny, so I’ve spent the last year feeding them up and raising them. 

Dang ok... I was going to do a temporary pond to try and breed mine this summer but they're still only a few months old.

@Schuyler While I don’t know how old they need to be to hit maturity to be able to breed I would guess that a couple months old is too young, and  I’ve never rushed it with any of my fish. I get them, i quarantine them, I move them to their home, and then I feed them up and enjoy them. When they start breeding, then great! I’ll start collecting eggs and attempt to raise the fry at that point. 

• Like 1

As I was changing out of my work clothes I saw a Pygmy Cory that definitely wasn’t the size of the adults and has to be a fry that survived in this tank! I guess the eggs have been there longer than I realized. Man, this hobby is so great. Add Pygmy Cory’s to the list I’ve passively bred and I’m excited to actually try to hatch and raise a batch!

• Like 3
  • Love 1