Mystery Snail Antenna

Lennie

Hey guys,

Today, I’ve noticed something on Rick’s antenna. 
I got him last sunday, and he has been very active, eating very well. Offered some snellos and he munches on decaying plant matter and stuff.

Does this look something like a tumor? Or is it a deformity due to a previous injury? He has been kept in only snail tank in the lfs, and the only fish I have is also pygmy cories, which cannot directly cause any harm to him I believe. But idk his journey before the lfs of course.

water parameters are gh7, kh19-20, ph 8.0-8.2, temp:24C, ammonia0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20.

also the darker blue part started growing in my tank since last sunday, but I always see different shell pattern on my snails but they are always healthy, so I assume this darker blue tone is also fine.

it somehow even looks like a baby snail hanging there.

tried my best to take some pics:

C6A8569C-DB23-4B75-9782-95E167E5B285.jpeg.a6dcbe8ccb9525461732c8a7b5bbc2c5.jpeg4E1A1E9F-17C3-48AB-B564-2C6D4D1C5AFB.jpeg.b08016359b8c5bf0bad49dbf96172b48.jpeg

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Guppysnail

Edited by Lennie
  • Love 1

On 2/10/2023 at 5:15 AM, Lennie said:

Hey guys,

Today, I’ve noticed something on Rick’s antenna. 
I got him last sunday, and he has been very active, eating very well. Offered some snellos and he munches on decaying plant matter and stuff.

Does this look something like a tumor? Or is it a deformity due to a previous injury? He has been kept in only snail tank in the lfs, and the only fish I have is also pygmy cories, which cannot directly cause any harm to him I believe. But idk his journey before the lfs of course.

water parameters are gh7, kh19-20, ph 8.0-8.2, temp:24C, ammonia0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20.

also the darker blue part started growing in my tank since last sunday, but I always see different shell pattern on my snails but they are always healthy, so I assume this darker blue tone is also fine.

it somehow even looks like a baby snail hanging there.

tried my best to take some pics:

C6A8569C-DB23-4B75-9782-95E167E5B285.jpeg.a6dcbe8ccb9525461732c8a7b5bbc2c5.jpeg4E1A1E9F-17C3-48AB-B564-2C6D4D1C5AFB.jpeg.b08016359b8c5bf0bad49dbf96172b48.jpeg

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Guppysnail

Looks like a diatom (bit of algae) to me. I would not take any action. As he brushes past items in the tank, it should come off.

• Thanks 1

The darker blue is just new growth with new foods and water. 
The little lump I would not be concerned over. 
With mystery snails the only things we can do are food and water quality. Medication is not an option. I’ve seen a few odd things with antennas and it has never been an issue. As long as he is active and eating he is ok. 
Rick is very adorable. 

• Like 3

On 2/10/2023 at 3:45 PM, Guppysnail said:

They do not get much if anything at the store to eat. Stores feed fish sparingly so little to nothing left for the snails to munch since they are much slower finding food. I’m glad you gave him a living home. 

That’s so true. 
His shell looks too thin. Is that its organs inside that I am seeing? Not a parasite or sth right? 

also he dropped that pink thingy on left I have no clue what that is even, they were on crushed coral subsrate. Weird

6AA9AA0C-394C-48A2-8412-1FBF6FC08626.jpeg.3f7fab15deeffc67a83a92327610b782.jpeg

• Like 1

The pink thing is probably gravel or something red he ate at the lfs. As @Chick-In-Of-TheSea said.  Of no concern. 
what you are seeing here is the end of the digestive tract. The brown is the fecal matter which you will see soon as it continues its path out of the body. 
Do not be alarmed at rainbow poo. Their digestion is very poor and why they need to eat so much. The poo is the color of whatever they eat. Blanch some red yellow and green bell pepper strips and you have a festively decorated tank 🤣

AEE9FF57-B31B-4159-8804-2AE51BAD9963.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 4

On 2/10/2023 at 4:07 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Or carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin! Orange confetti festival. 

My rabbits do lots of orange poop when they eat carrots :D!!

On 2/10/2023 at 4:07 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I hope you will be able find Summer the magenta snail over there in Turkey to join Rick and Morty.

Morty loves the Snello!

I hope so! Still happy to find Morty for Rick 😄

I love snails too much, But I haven't kept mysteries for ages. Hope everything goes well and they get their strong shell and good life asap.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/10/2023 at 8:23 AM, Lennie said:

My rabbits do lots of orange poop when they eat carrots :D!!

I hope so! Still happy to find Morty for Rick 😄

I love snails too much, But I haven't kept mysteries for ages. Hope everything goes well and they get their strong shell and good life asap.

They are so fun to watch, doing silly stuff like parasnailing down from the top.