Peculiar looking things

NanotankBank

On 2/9/2023 at 3:49 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yep, cory eggs for sure.  These are bronze cories, Corydoras aeneus, fairly likely to be the same species as your albinos. There certainly are many other albino cory species in the hobby but bronze albinos are the most common. 

94ED7A5E-D6DC-4125-938A-662C548EED15.jpeg

F7EC1B43-11DC-4449-9E70-6B440FE5D820.jpeg

If they are laid, does that mean they are fertilized 100%? If so, then I’ll need to get some Java moss to help them hide from the Ram and Angel 

Not every egg that is laid will be fertile. 

If you really want to raise them in good numbers consider pulling the eggs and hatching them in a separate container. If you don’t pull the eggs most if not all of them will probably be eaten by the other inhabitants. I look at it as good, natural snacks for your fish. If any hatch in the tank, they’ll probably be eaten as well. But who knows, the lucky one or a few just might make it. You never know!

On 2/9/2023 at 8:54 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Not every egg that is laid will be fertile. 

If you really want to raise them in good numbers consider pulling the eggs and hatching them in a separate container. If you don’t pull the eggs most if not all of them will probably be eaten by the other inhabitants. I look at it as good, natural snacks for your fish. If any hatch in the tank, they’ll probably be eaten as well. But who knows, the lucky one or a few just might make it. You never know!

Yes, exactly this.  At typical tank temps,they will hatch in 2-5 days.  Mine hatch in 2 days at 76-78’F.  Eggs that are slightly clearish with a speck are fertile.  Eggs that are solid white are not fertile.  I see some of both in your pic.  I’m a bit surprised that you have eggs to even find with your cohabitants you listed.  That may be why you’ve never seen eggs before.  They may have gotten eaten before you ever saw them.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’m a bit surprised that you have eggs to even find with your cohabitants you listed.  That may be why you’ve never seen eggs before.  They may have gotten eaten before you ever saw them.

Agree. With ram and angel in there, I'm surprised you found any. 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:19 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, exactly this.  At typical tank temps,they will hatch in 2-5 days.  Mine hatch in 2 days at 76-78’F.  Eggs that are slightly clearish with a speck are fertile.  Eggs that are solid white are not fertile.  I see some of both in your pic.  I’m a bit surprised that you have eggs to even find with your cohabitants you listed.  That may be why you’ve never seen eggs before.  They may have gotten eaten before you ever saw them.

It amazes me how docile they are. They go up to eachother and don’t even bother one another. I have seen my angle eat baby snails and shrimp before. But none of them are touching these eggs. It’d be a sight to see if any make it!

• Like 1