A Tale of Two Tanks: Miska's Journal

Miska

On 3/15/2023 at 2:55 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Sorry you’ve been having a bad time . 😞

Get well soon! 

Thank you! I am mostly posting so I remember what is happening as I lose so many fish.
I lost another today- I tested everything and it's all good except PH. I had a PH spike from 7 to 8.8 and I am trying to figure out why. It could be the run off from the well with storms, or new plants I put in. I am not sure. But I use Neutral Regulator so I was not expecting a jump in any case like that.

I am getting a bit fatigued of killing fish on accident. So I am done buying fish except for the otos for a while and I am going to focus on getting my tanks ready for the shrimp I will be getting and anything I get from the swap in a week and a half. 

On 3/15/2023 at 2:20 PM, Miska said:

Thank you! I am mostly posting so I remember what is happening as I lose so many fish.
I lost another today- I tested everything and it's all good except PH. I had a PH spike from 7 to 8.8 and I am trying to figure out why

Try using Indian almond leaves to bring it down. Do you have buffers at all? 

On 3/15/2023 at 2:20 PM, Miska said:

the swap

Can’t wait to see the haul from that! 

On 3/15/2023 at 9:33 AM, Theplatymaster said:

and hopefully a few weeks after that some cories...

Yes!!! I don’t count that lol. I mean from stores 

On 3/15/2023 at 9:37 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Try using Indian almond leaves to bring it down. Do you have buffers at all? 

Can’t wait to see the haul from that! 

I have a few in the tank but I’ll put in more!

Seachem Neutral Regulator and Alkaline Buffer because ph was waaaaay too low as was kh Now it’s too high. Boo

Setback (Help requested, but please be gentle)

I have lost every single fish upstairs that my friend (the breeder) brought over. I had a PH swing when I added Cuban Ludwiga up to about 8.8. I brought it down with seachem neutral regulator but I also use alkaline buffer to keep the KH at a level.

Tank size: 5 G

Tank mates: was 6 endlers, now 3

23 shrimp (counted 21 last time I counted, so possible there are less, but they like to hide a lot too)

Ammonia: .25 (did a 50% change any time I see ammonia, it was 0 the day before then a fish died, then the .25)

PH 8.8 but then 7

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5ppm (added easy green)

KH: 4 drops

GH: 6 drops

I did have some almond leaves in there, but I clearly need more. And possibly also acid buffer? But would that lower the KH? I need some KH in my tank, as I have none. 

I also noticed that my biggest boy is a bully. Is that another possibility? 

Needless to say- I am a bit despondent. 

My downstairs 36, however, is doing amazingly well. Perfect numbers, endlers having babies, Emeralds are coming out a lot more, cardinals are gorgeous. 

Edited by Miska
Add 36 info.

On 3/16/2023 at 8:00 AM, Miska said:

I did have some almond leaves in there, but I clearly need more. And possibly also acid buffer? But would that lower the KH? I need some KH in my tank, as I have none. 

Something is buffering things that high. Usual culprits are rock, coral, or a water softener.

Botanicals aren't a great way to go from that high of a PH and maintain it at a much lower one. Soil substrate is the usual method and would be used to do the same thing as crushed coral (long term stability) but would of course buffer down instead of up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 12:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Soil substrate is the usual method and would be used to do the same thing as crushed coral (long term stability) but would of course buffer down instead of up.

I just bought pond soil. Plants are why I’m doing this (I absolutely want fully insanely planted tanks) could I put it in media bags and then cover it with the eco complete that is already in the tank? 

Also thank you both- a lot. I’ve been reading and trying to remember everything. I really appreciate it. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you! MD Tanks really recommends it- which is why I did it.

I would bawl. Plants and shrimp are my loves, but honestly the fish are becoming another part of it for me. Especially once I get the cories and the otos. And my cardinal tetras and my emeralds are... Yeah. I'd be upset.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, Miska said:

Thank you! MD Tanks really recommends it- which is why I did it.

oh yes, that channel is great.

though we've discussed all his hardscape in the past.

i guess that's how he gets such great growth on his plants.

the annoying thing is most of us arent setting up tanks weekly, and it is too late for me to go change the substrate in my tank, adding a nutrient layer, without hurting my fish.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, Miska said:

but honestly the fish are becoming another part of it for me.

im mostly just in it for the fish.

especially since im not having the best luck with shrimp.

• Like 1

Not the best luck with shrimp... yet. 

We will get you there. I am going to remove my endlers from my shrimp tank and breed them too. I didn't realize endlers would kill the shrimplets.  Thank you for telling me. 

On 3/16/2023 at 6:19 PM, Miska said:

I didn't realize endlers would kill the shrimplets.

all fish will eat shrimplets.

from oscar to chili rasbora.

but many fish leave the adult shrimp alone.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:19 PM, Miska said:

I am going to remove my endlers from my shrimp tank and breed them too.

i think its smart to move the endlers not the shrimp. shrimp can be sensitive to changes, while endlers are more hardy.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 10:43 AM, Miska said:

just bought pond soil. Plants are why I’m doing this (I absolutely want fully insanely planted tanks) could I put it in media bags and then cover it with the eco complete that is already in the tank? 

Yes you can.  Over time it will likely mix together, but to start out with I plan to do the same thing with my tank.

• Thanks 1

Okay! I bought Media Bags I just have to find them (everything comes home in a whirlwind, I have a toddler and a tween). 

I've had a rough day. For journal sake:

I've got bulging discs in my neck. Three. Everyone says that's the cause of my pain. Except the one dude who was supposed to give me spinal blocks and take it away. He said I was overweight and I should add a depression med and that three bulging discs should not cause any pain. Despite you know, all the articles to the contrary.

So I went to an Aquarium store to find guppy grass (for the shrimp) and no where I looked had them. And then I went to an organic market and bought some seeds and put them in my garden bed. I now have planted Beets, Peas, and Spinach.he whole tank seems so much happier and livelier downstairs. They are having a similar but less severe PH increase. Probably from the alkaline buffer to increase KH. I am going to work on this. 

Then I came in and took pictures of my fry!!! Look at this cute little baby. I have probably 6-10 floating around? I counted at least 5 at once when I was feeding them. And I saw some juveniles that I didn't even know I had! So I am breeding endlers, though possible with a garbage guppy (feeder). But whatever. I do not really care. I just like watching them swim. 

image.png.2cf89100fd511fffcbdb09b05d0fdde3.png

On 3/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, Miska said:

I've had a rough day. For journal sake:

I've got bulging discs in my neck. Three. Everyone says that's the cause of my pain. Except the one dude who was supposed to give me spinal blocks and take it away. He said I was overweight and I should add a depression med and that three bulging discs should not cause any pain. Despite you know, all the articles to the contrary.

Maybe go to a second opinion? Feel better. I'm sorry you're dealing with all that pain. I've got neck pain and it just isn't ever fun. You use your neck for a lot of things and sometimes sitting just is intolerable.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, Miska said:

So I went to an Aquarium store to find guppy grass (for the shrimp) and no where I looked had them. And then I went to an organic market and bought some seeds and put them in my garden bed. I now have planted Beets, Peas, and Spinach.he whole tank seems so much happier and livelier downstairs. They are having a similar but less severe PH increase. Probably from the alkaline buffer to increase KH. I am going to work on this. 

Very interesting! I've never seen guppy grass in person. I'd recommend Christmas moss if you need something in a pinch.

Really good to hear that you're noticing such a difference.

• Like 1

I am going to start searching. I'm in constant, pretty extreme, neck pain. I'm doing PT, and a nerve study, and I did an MRI. And I am going to their stupid lifestyle coach because that was what he most recommended. I actually spend a lot of my stretching routine on the floor looking up at the fish tank (I really love watching them. Emerald Dwarf Rasboras might be my favorite of the downstairs tank because they chase each other and play in the vegetation). 

I am sorry you also have neck pain @nabokovfan87. My muscles are entirely seized even up and into to my scalp. So I am also going to be trying to find a good massage school (they are longer appointments and generally more thorough because the teacher is usually there to direct). The office also recommended acupuncture and I have an inverter table. 

My bestie got long fin white cloud mountain minnows and I am so excited about them. We are planning on breeding them and getting their offspring into ponds this summer.  I am trying to focus on positives. 

One of my favorite things right now is when I feed fry food to my fry in the top hornwort. 

I really want American Guppy Grass- I am trying to start an American Biotope in a year or two. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 10:29 PM, Miska said:

Then I came in and took pictures of my fry!!! Look at this cute little baby. I have probably 6-10 floating around? I counted at least 5 at once when I was feeding them. And I saw some juveniles that I didn't even know I had! So I am breeding endlers, though possible with a garbage guppy (feeder). But whatever. I do not really care. I just like watching them swim. 

its nice that even in your pain you can find joy in some fry.

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:22 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Are there any parallels (substrate etc) between the one that has just crashed and the 36 gal bow front which is doing OK? 

Water System/Tap Water: Well Water Filter with Water Conditioner and Reverse Osmosis- But does not bring GH down enough- alone it is 16 drops. 0 KH total

Other Numbers:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

PH: 6 or lower (it is the lightest color possible)

Nitrate: 0

KH: 0

GH: 16 drops

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 Gallon: Purchased used, in a bundle, for 30 dollars (person claimed it was a 10 gallon, I actually got it for free when I asked for 1/2 the money back). 

PH- 8.8 😠

Substrate: Eco Complete

Inhabitants: ~ 20 Cherry Shrimp, 3 (used to be 4 long term then added two and three died) Endler Males. 

Plants: Cuban Ludwiga, Horn Wort, Bacopia Carolinia, Java Moss, Corkscrew Val

Light: Hygger Submersed, I use the day-moonlight setting

Decor: 2 Shrimp Huts from Frags 2 Fishes, Three small rocks that came with it, white in color. 

Filters: 1 Sponge Filter, 1 HOB (top fin that came with it with bio balls and filter floss) 

Water Conditioners/Additive: Seachem Neutral regulator, Alkaline Buffer (to raise KH, but 1/2 what it calls for not to increase PH too much), Fritz Bacteria Stuff (forget the name) for water changes that are more than 25%. Easy Green

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

36 Gallon Bowfront on Stand: Purchased used for 75 dollars with everything (heater, filters, substrate, an extra 5 gal, etc)

PH- 8.0 😞

Substrate: Pebble, came with it, added pool filter sand

Inhabitants: 7 Emerald Dwarf Danio, 10 Cardinal Tetra, 4-5 Endlers, ~10 Endler or Hybrid fry

Plants: Hornwort, Sword, That One You All Helped me Identify, Rotilla and Myio, Pearled, Java moss (scant)

Light: Fluval Fluorescent, I run it for 10 Hr

Decor: Resin Cave, two resin "branches", 1 medium-large piece of driftwood

Filters: Fluval 50, 2 Aquarium Co-op sponge filters, and one of those two little columns with sponge on top and bio balls in the bottom and a soap looking pump at the top (I do not know their name). Easy Green

Thank you all! I really appreciate it. I am trying so hard to figure it out. I know I probably messed something up, or overdosed the alkaline buffer. And my water system is frustrating because we paid like 15k for it, and it doesn't give me R/O water like it should. 

Edited by Miska
Typos and fixes and forgotten things.

Okay. I have put in the pond soil yesterday. I can only find 16 shrimp of the 22 that I have, I am hoping I didn't murder anyone. 

PH in the 36 (soil added too) is now 7.4 which is about where I want it for my endlers. I have 12 babies that I can count (maybe more?). 

PH in the 5 is down to 7.8 from 8.8 over several days (didn't want to shock the 3 boys left). 

Cloudy stinking tank from the pond soil. That's my 5G. The boys are still really bright.

Also Brigid in our playroom. It's gonna get a makeover this summer, I hope, and more tanks. We'll see. 

IMG_8288.jpeg

IMG_8085.jpeg

• Like 2