White Algae?

On 3/2/2023 at 2:39 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

@Colu I found the fry dead just now.  He was still alive when I left the house 3 hours ago.  I inspected him and I didn't see anything unusual, no mouth spot.

Did it have a sunken belly as it could be that he was struggling to eat and got progressively weaken and that what kill it

Edited by Colu

@ColuYeah, I did take note of his belly.  He was skinny but I did't think it was sunken.  I don't think he ate while he was in there, or before I put him in there.  I never got an ammonia reading, but changed out 10cups (from 1g) twice.  The orangey brown food really popped on the floor of the blue bucket he was in.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:35 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

@ColuYeah, I did take note of his belly.  He was skinny but I did't think it was sunken.  I don't think he ate while he was in there, or before I put him in there.  I never got an ammonia reading, but changed out 10cups (from 1g) twice.  The orangey brown food really popped on the floor of the blue bucket he was in.

I think the growth on his mouth stopped him from eating ultimately lead to his death in this case 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Colu Hi, it's me again.  Is there some kind of disease that affects snails and fish but not shrimp?

I order 6 nerites online, received 8, and added them to my tank on March 7th.  (4 king koopa, 3 horned, 1 olive)  They were all alive and moving for a day or two before stopping.  Today, they all smelled bad and I removed them.  Also, I'm still seeing juvenile guppies wasting and not eating.  My neocaridina and amano all seem to be doing well- no deaths that I know of.

@nabokovfan87If my water is dirty, would the shrimp be dying too?

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 4:21 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

@Colu Hi, it's me again.  Is there some kind of disease that affects snails and fish but not shrimp?

I order 6 nerites online, received 8, and added them to my tank on March 7th.  (4 king koopa, 3 horned, 1 olive)  They were all alive and moving for a day or two before stopping.  Today, they all smelled bad and I removed them.  Also, I'm still seeing juvenile guppies wasting and not eating.  My neocaridina and amano all seem to be doing well- no deaths that I know of.

What your describing sounds like wasting disease you would want to treat with Expel p once a week for 4 weeks as far as I no theirs no disease that affects snails and fish 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 9:21 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

Today, they all smelled bad and I removed them.  Also, I'm still seeing juvenile guppies wasting and not eating.  My neocaridina and amano all seem to be doing well- no deaths that I know of.

Difficult to say. "dirty" is a subjective term and what I say is dirty you might think is find.

Neocaridina and Caridina shrimp generally have issues when parameters get out of wack. A lot of the "get a shrimp tank, you don't have to do as much work" mantra is because they have low waste and nitrates tend to stay lower for longer.

This doesn't mean that I think dirty is ok. A dirty substrate leads to other issues. If the tank is dirty you'll have higher organics in the water and potentially algae issues in general. I like to have my tanks siphoned (not easy with small shrimp) and I like to keep up with water changes. I want the shrimp to be eating fresh/healthy algae and food to reduce risk of something like rotting food causing a bacterial issue.

The only time I don't do a good job of siphoning is when there is very small fry. You can use a turkey baster and siphon things that way. Some people tape the siphon and baster together for planted tanks to get the "right amount" of debris off the substrate. Maybe that is the method that works well for you!

The first picture is my neo tank and the second is my amano tank. As you know, amanos do well in a lot of setups and get bigger. It's a lot easier to clean the tank with them avoiding the siphon.

This is from one feeding and one clown pleco (and shrimp) in a few days.

20230318_114417.JPG.335b25104140c697700d8f3fcc465efd.JPG20230318_114422.JPG.9baca58d106aea0ab14ae83306840fcb.JPG

Maintenance day is tomorrow for this tank. I usually need to clean the prefilters midweek. I do feed pretty heavily and I do have the tank overstocked right now waiting for the larger one to be available.

20230318_114719.JPG.ad7147c3cae9d9d47cf5bc04e253998b.JPG20230318_114712.JPG.765f87d6f36ffce695cfdf71723c6427.JPG20230318_114729.JPG.f086a6c097a423212ed298ea284a4787.JPG

Again, dirty is a subjective thing. This is just my method and I can't say it's the right or wrong way. This is what works for me and how I try to maintain things due to some of the issues I have in my tank (algae spores from BBA).

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 2:39 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

@ColuI fed at 9am and dosed expelP at 9:30am, cst.  Lights are unplugged, UV in canister is off, and I covered the tank with a blanket.

After I WC with vacuum, do I turn the UV back on?  Should I put carbon in the canister?

You can just put your UV light back on that will break down any remaining medication 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 6:42 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

@Colu Is it normal for things to get worse among my fishes after expel-P treatment?

If they have a heavy parasite load the parasites can cause internal injuries it's not uncommon for some fish to go down hill even with treatment 

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1

shrimp can carry camallanus worms as part of the second stage of the life cycle of the parasite from what I have read the type of parasites that causes wasting disease  won't survive without a host longer than  4weeks you can treat your shrimp with Expel p it's shrimp safe if you have shrimp in tank with your fish then it won't harm them and it will remove any potential opportunities for parasites to use your shrimp as a intermediate host @PerceptivePesce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:21 PM, Colu said:

shrimp can carry camallanus worms as part of the second stage of the life cycle of the parasite from what I have read the type of parasites that causes wasting disease  won't survive without a host longer than  4weeks you can treat your shrimp with Expel p it's shrimp safe if you have shrimp in tank with your fish then it won't harm them and it will remove any potential opportunities for parasites to use your shrimp as a intermediate host @PerceptivePesce

Thank you!

One more question. Is it okay to do another WC before next week's dosing? 

On 3/24/2023 at 12:58 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

Thank you!

One more question. Is it okay to do another WC before next week's dosing? 

dose medication wait 24hr then you can do as many water changes as like before redosing the medication the following week

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:02 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

@Colu I'm one day late dosing the 2nd course expel-P.  Last week I dosed on Tuesday.  This week I dosed today, Wednesday.  Will this delay mess-up my treatment?

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Med dosage per the directions is key, but week to week it shouldn't matter too much.  It is going to take a few rounds, and it's generally recommended to treat every 7 or every 14 days.   The goal being to repeat it over an extended period more than anything.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...