White Algae?

On 2/14/2023 at 5:35 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

2) Actually, I'm not adding 7GH & 5KH in minerals.  I've been adding 5GH & 3KH, and I've been wondering what is increasing my GH & KH since I have inert substrate and rocks.  I assumed my substrate and rocks werent totally inert, but it just occurred to me that perhaps my water is cannibalizing the fish?!?! oh my heavens!!

Old Tank Syndrome?  Things just increasing over time?

• Like 1

That's a loaded variable, lol.

I am on a city community well. I've only been on a boil order once and that would be a major issue for a 90 gal tank.  My tap has 12 dGH, 9 dKH and a pH of 7.2 but after 1 week in the tank it goes to 11 dGH and 7 dKH and 8.2 pH. The only thing that I have found that could be the reason is oxygenation.  This is on a two year old tank though. My guppies do not mind these parameters as they are within their norms.  Now, the new tank that I've been working on has totally different parameters but its new so it makes sense. I use inert and nutrient rich soils, layered. I think that is also a contributor as well as the oxygenation. If you bring up your dKH and keep it at a stable level, it will help with the pH swings your seeing but they are not extreme and I really think your GH & KH is an issue but I don't know for sure.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:58 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Typically last.

First is  mechanical (foam then floss). Then biological (ceramic) and then chemical (carbon).

Why can't anything be simple? 😄  I have 3 canister baskets, 1st filled with 2 sizes of coarse sponge, 2nd filled with floss, and 3rd full of ceramic balls.  I was thinking I'd use the floss basket for carbon, just use less floss.  What do you think I should do?

On 2/15/2023 at 12:02 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

My canister is an aquatop which is a rebranded sunsun.

If I can put the floss in the foam basket, I'll do that, I see where you're going.  But let's say I can't, then what would you do?

I am not saying "do this" or that "this is the one way to do it"!  I post this as a resource, just a method on how to set one up.

If you're using the pillow stuffing type of filter floss then I would just put it at the bottom of the second try.  Then put the ceramic on top of that (cutting a piece of quilting nylon/plastic mesh is useful above the floss to serve as a grate to distribute load).  Then you'd have the entire top tray basically empty.  You can split the ceramics, add more to the top, or just add carbon to the top tray if you wish to use that amount of carbon.  I tend to run the "bumpy" / Reticulated foams as well as using a course-medium-fine because I don't enjoy dealing with the floss.  It works well, but it's "extra fine" so to speak and the fine foams do plenty of polishing to clarify water for everyday use.

For canister too, Sicce has the bioker/mech type of hard rings that work well too.  I recommend those in the base if there is room.  As shown in the video, for a canister, it's helpful.

• Like 1

I saw a white worm inching across my glass just now!  I'm positive it was not a detritus worm.  I was trying to inspect it when a guppy ate it so I didn't get a good look at whether it had an arrow head or round head.  It was tiny like a detritus worm but shorter and thicker.  I don't see any more yet.

I have paracleanse on hand.

What do?

@Colu

@nabokovfan87

@JoeQ

On 2/18/2023 at 10:49 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

I saw a white worm inching across my glass just now!  I'm positive it was not a detritus worm.  I was trying to inspect it when a guppy ate it so I didn't get a good look at whether it had an arrow head or round head.  It was tiny like a detritus worm but shorter and thicker.  I don't see any more yet.

I have paracleanse on hand.

What do?

@Colu

@nabokovfan87

@JoeQ

Research aquarium worms, see if you can ID it from memory. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2023 at 11:04 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

ok, I think it is Rhabdocoela worms which are in league with detritus worms, harmless.

Planaria are larger and usually not white, but can be white.

A win all around, you got a little insight into what's in your aquarium and a guppy got a free meal. WINNING! 😂

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 2:35 AM, evonner said:

What nitrite spike? When, how high for how long?

I'm referring to my initial "new tank" nitrifying cycle about 3-4 months ago.  I got these guppies from a friend who had way too many guppies in his son's 10g.   I was planning on doing a fishless cycle with ammonia additive, but my friend and husband conspired against me and I caved.  We put 2 dozen female gups in my tank before the nitrifying cycle had started.  The ammonia spike was short and really never got that high, I attribute that to the bottled BB I was adding.  The nitrite cycle was hardcore.  It was like 11 days of off-the-charts nitrite.  I tried WC, but the nitrite tests stayed Deep Purple.  The guppies never showed any signs of distress, and they were reproducing the whole time.

Many people do "Fish-in Cycle". In the nitrogen cycle, ammonia is detected first, then it converts to nitrites and your ammonia should go to zero but nitrites will be high, then the nitrites go to zero and then nitrates go high.  People doing a  Fish-in cycle have to do daily water changes and pretty huge ones.

Deep purple as in 5.0ppm? How ofter were you doing water changes and at what percentage? 

A tip: Adding a dose of Seachem Prime will bind the ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours. This helps protect the fish but should never be used in leiu of water changes.  I realize your past all this but you may need it in the future or someone else reading this.

I dont think it will affect future offspring but I am not 100% sure.  Logic tells me it wouldnt if the fish survived these condtions. A lot of people new to the hobby lose their fish due to lack of knowledge doing a fish-in cycle.

• Like 1

When the nitrites first hit 5ppm, like day 3 of nitrites showing up, I did a 30% water change and it didn't change the test results.  The next day I did 2 30% WCs and it didn't change the color at all.  After that I decided to prioritize my cycling process and just let it roll.  That was the last time I did a WC more than once a week.

Most of the guppies seem better, but there are a couple who worry me.  I'm watching them

You mean a couple are worrying you now (months after this happened)? You should never let your fish "just roll with it". You should have upped the water changes to 50%. You can go up to 50% water changes but its not advisable to do more than 50% as it can reset the cycle.