Mystery snail genetics

JJenna

While I have a science background it is not in genetics. I've been thinking about what colors my snabies are going to be. Except for Tenzing, who was a gold mystery snail, the remainder of my snails are all chestnut. Is there a basic genetic profile that snail breeders use to determine possible coloration? I'm assuming it takes some time to show their true colors. Do dominant and recessive genes come into play? The information out there is mind-boggling.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 7:58 PM, JJenna said:

While I have a science background it is not in genetics. I've been thinking about what colors my snabies are going to be. Except for Tenzing, who was a gold mystery snail, the remainder of my snails are all chestnut. Is there a basic genetic profile that snail breeders use to determine possible coloration? I'm assuming it takes some time to show their true colors. Do dominant and recessive genes come into play? The information out there is mind-boggling.

@Cinnebuns has had some experience with this, I believe.

• Thanks 1

Oh yes!!!  So there's a chart I'll share but basically mystery snail genetics comes down to 3 traits. One for dark or light foot. One for stripes or solid. And one for shell color. Each color combo is basically a dark or light foot version of the same color. So magenta is light foot and purple dark foot etc. 

brookana-diagram-genotypes.jpg

Dominant A is dark foot. S is stripes. And the y is base color. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 3

It's interesting to note some things. A great way to make magenta actually isn't with 2 magenta but with 1 ivory and 1 purple. Also, blue and magenta is an amazing combo because you have a chance at blue, magenta and purple. Finally, this is how people make rainbow clutches. They have a female ivory mate with a male of each of the dark foot.  

Also, you actually can tell the colors of mystery snail babies the instant they hatch. Some are harder to tell than others tbh and are very close but you can get it narrowed down between 2 at least. 

ws4j88oeeb271 (2).jpg

Spots are dark foot. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 2/8/2023 at 6:05 AM, Cinnebuns said:

So there's a chart I'll share but basically mystery snail genetics comes down to 3 traits

TY TY TY! I was able to find the original article you posted. I have a much better understanding re: the alleles of Mystery Snails. The whole study was a great read. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yeah they hard studied mystery snail genetics. Far more than any other snail. Kinda makes me curious what we would find if we did a heavy a study on ramshorns because they seem super varied. I believe those same people who did that study are still doing some research even. I've talked with one of them once on Facebook. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 10:04 PM, ccc24 said:

This is fascinating. I’m going to have to compare this chart to my tank tomorrow. I think I have most these colors in there and they just laid two more clutches of eggs.

If you want to encourage certain colors, you can try to isolate a male with a female of the colors. My personal favorite is a magenta male with magenta and blue females. Get some ivory, magenta, blue and purple!