Ich-X is not safe with Fritz Complete Water Conditioner!?!

ELR

I've been treating my fish with Ich-X as part of the Aquarium Coop quarantine recommendations and for a recent ich outbreak. But just now I read that Ich-X should not be used with sulfur-containing water conditioners. 

from HIkari website: https://www.hikariusa.com/water_quality_folder/ich_x.html (under Directions)

"NOTE: We do not recommend using any sulfur or sulfinite-based water conditioners with this product. If your normal water conditioner does not list the ingredients please verify with the maker that it does not contain these ingredients. If you notice any rotten egg smell to the product, it likely does have these ingredients and should be avoided as it could cause the product to be less effective and the dissolved oxygen levels to be negatively impacted."

from Fritz website: https://fritzaquatics.com/products/fritz-complete (under FAQ's)

"Can I use this with Aquarium Solutions Ich-X?  Fritz Complete - NOT SAFE; this is a sulfoxylate-based conditioner and can affect the medication"

Yikes! I've been struggling with ich on my shubunkin for a couple months and I've been using Fritz Complete for longer than that. Does anyone else have any info on using Ich-X with Fritz Complete? Or alternatives that don't have sulfur?

I’ve never had issues using it with Prime, but I think people say it isn’t safe either. 

I think the same company that makes Ich-x makes Ultimate and they recommend it. 

When I researched Ich-x I found that Prime’s sulfur salt wasn’t the same thing as the ingredient ich-x warned about. Both companies say they cannot say because they can’t guarantee the others ingredients haven’t/won’t change. I haven’t noticed an issue, but do your research. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

"Seachem Safe is a powder form of the water conditioner prime."  Actually no, it is not- though it is very similar.  Seachem Prime has additional additives to detoxify heavy metals and promote a healthier slime coat. 

In my opinion, promoting a healthy slime coat is less of a concern because your fish should be more than capable of doing that on their own seeing as though you monitor levels and keep your bio in check.  Detoxifying heavy metals, on the other hand, is more of an important issue.  If one chooses to switch from Prime to Safe I would highly recommend adding an additional heavy metal detoxifier to their water change cocktail.  I have used Prime for so many years (back when it was pretty much the only trustworthy, simple, affordable bulk solution available) that i really have not thought about conditioners much in a while.  I believe Chris exclusively uses Prime, but if Chris or any experienced long-term Safe users would chime in on their cost effective bulk heavy metal detoxifier product of choice I would appreciate it. 

Fast forward too today and I am on day 6 of Ick-X and I am having no success with my current Ick outbreak.  This is my first time actually chemically treating for ick as I have traditionally in the past always just slowly raised my water temp and used good old heat to kill off the Ick.  I currently have some fish that are heat sensitive, so I chose not to go that route.  Assuming from this forum that I was good to go with a Prime/Ick-X combination (local municipal water supplier additives vary) I wasn't prepared for a plan B.  As much as I hate to promote this company, Imagitarium  Water Conditioner is currently my only "ASAP" off the shelf choice (I won't state the rather repulsive parent companies name) for a sodium thiosulphate alternative.  I will keep my results posted and if I do not see a visual change in a few days I will order some Fritz.

On 1/24/2022 at 2:33 PM, Shaun4BigBlocks said:

Detoxifying heavy metals, on the other hand, is more of an important issue.  If one chooses to switch from Prime to Safe I would highly recommend adding an additional heavy metal detoxifier to their water change cocktail. 

I have never used a heavy metals detoxifier. I have never tested my tap water for heavy metals. I have never heard of heavy metals in tap water killing any fish. Ever.

Is this a thing?