Rabbit snails closing up for days?

jwcarlson

I have 5 or 6 rabbit snails for about that many months 5 or 6.  They've been just dandy the whole time growing well, about an inch long now.  I can only find three of them, but don't want to tear the tank apart.  They haven't moved for about two days.  I relocated one specifically to see, nothing.  So the three I can see I pulled and out them in empty QT and within SECONDS they began to come out.  Any ideas? 

I increased dose of Easy Carbon a bit about the same time. 

Also removed an adult bristlenose and added more kerri tetras, but there was already 8 of those in there. 

Going to do quick test because I also lightly rinsed HOB filter in tank water.  Maybe I kicked something off.  

All three are out and moving in QT.  Will see if my daughter can find any of the others.  Weird to describe, but they seem jumpy.  One of our dogs barked and one snail snapped shut. 

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, about 25 nitrate with ACO test strips.

Found the smallest one dead under a piece of driftwood moved when I netted the pleco.  Must not have seen it.  Quite stinky when I pulled it out.  Tons of other snails (bladders and MTS) are acting normal.  Shrimp fine.  Fish fine. 

Edited by jwcarlson

Mine will graze for three days and then burry just the head, sticking out of the sand, and not move for another two days. Or lay on their backs, most of the foot sticking out, operculum not closed, look super dead and will sleep like that for a day or two.

They are just quirky like that and dont appreciate interference 🙂 Also depends on the temperature you keep them at, higher temp, more active, sleep longer

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 2:31 AM, beastie said:

Mine will graze for three days and then burry just the head, sticking out of the sand, and not move for another two days. Or lay on their backs, most of the foot sticking out, operculum not closed, look super dead and will sleep like that for a day or two.

They are just quirky like that and dont appreciate interference 🙂 Also depends on the temperature you keep them at, higher temp, more active, sleep longer

I can't say that I'm necessarily right on top of what they're doing every day.  But I've never noticed them just sitting around.  And never all of them doing it at the same time for sure.  But they are a bit older now, maybe that's something to do with it?  That said, they moved a bit in the QT tank.  Watched them eat some mulm/dead plant leaves in QT.  They moved 1-3" and seem to have clammed back up.  I've got nothing in QT at the moment except them (besides plants and a few bladder snails) so it doesn't really hurt anything.  

Thanks for sharing your experience!