Cleaning Spider Wood and Improvising

FLFishChik

When you don’t have a pot big enough to boil your Spider Wood… a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do…

Prepping for a rescape of my 29g community tank. Not happy with how it’s going and want to move some plants around and add this wood. I’ll soak it for a few weeks, then do the “kill it with fire” method again in the sink before putting it in the tank!

current photo of tank… just seems like something is missing 

2CA2385D-03A1-438E-9F30-2B5AB454F736.jpeg

58D8CAF5-91B7-4924-A1D7-B0399E4B5E2A.jpeg

C9BD713D-8F06-4998-97ED-95ED43275811.jpeg

4F3805CB-6224-4CF0-9DA1-F2EDB64872FB.jpeg

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Love 1

On 2/5/2023 at 4:58 PM, lefty o said:

those plastic rubbermaid tubs and similar are great for stuff that wont fit in a pot of a bucket.

I’ve got one that I use for water changes (has gallon measurements on the side so I know how much water I am removing), I may use that for a week until my next water change and can purchase one for just soaking driftwood.

I’ve always soaked my Spiderwood in a 5 gallon bucket for a week or two. I realize your piece might not fit in a bucket, but just sharing what typically works for me. 

I’ve never boiled Spiderwood. The soak in my experience has released any and all “fungus”, except for 1 single piece that continues to fungus years later. Gotta love it.