Windelov Java Fern Propagation

JJenna

Windelov was one of the first plants I had in the tank and has done so well overall. Today as I was doing some plant maintenance I noticed this rather large tuft attached to a thick stem. The tuft has roots at the bottom, but no definable rhizome. Is this something that I can just cut off the "stem" and attach the roots somewhere else? 

image.jpeg.c9bfde2a4d0ab3c8afa31a7f4fb86ba0.jpeg

On 2/4/2023 at 7:30 PM, JJenna said:

Windelov was one of the first plants I had in the tank and has done so well overall. Today as I was doing some plant maintenance I noticed this rather large tuft attached to a thick stem. The tuft has roots at the bottom, but no definable rhizome. Is this something that I can just cut off the "stem" and attach the roots somewhere else? 

image.jpeg.c9bfde2a4d0ab3c8afa31a7f4fb86ba0.jpeg

ive noticed this with my Java Ferns, the babies have small rhizomes. the one thing id be concerned about is smoking out the small rhizome with glue, if it is covered which is not hard with a small plant like this/

On 2/4/2023 at 7:36 PM, Theplatymaster said:

smoking out the small rhizome with glue

Right now the plant is nicely balanced and if I cut this tuft off it's going to look wonky. I'm going to leave it for the time being. Thanks for pointing out the possible effects of gluing it at this point. 

On 2/4/2023 at 8:12 PM, JJenna said:

Right now the plant is nicely balanced and if I cut this tuft off it's going to look wonky. I'm going to leave it for the time being. Thanks for pointing out the possible effects of gluing it at this point. 

ive probably killed a bunch of plantlets myself this way. 🙄

I literally just finished gluing plantlets from my Windelov to a rock. Here’s what I do..

let the plantlet remain on the mother plant until it develops nice long roots, once it does it should come off with the gentlest of tugs. The rhizome will be teeny tiny and difficult to see. I then I use just a tiny dot of glue and carefully stick several to a rock. They do fine for me this way and it’s how I usually do it with all my Java Fern plantlets. 

you can leave them on the plant and eventually they will detach on their own. 

top photo are the plantlets I just glued about 20 minutes ago, the bottom one I did about a month or so ago 

D5A6BC49-292E-41BC-9C4F-B0CACC978829.jpeg

FB150924-B948-45B0-9972-1C11D3D849E4.jpeg

• Thanks 1