ACO Heater mystery problem

Cheryl P.

Last year I bought an old store display that came with all the equipment.  I wanted to replace one of the heaters, so I busted out a brand new Coop 100W heater to add to the top tanks in the display.  At first everything was fine, then in the morning I saw the heater acting all wonky. The LED kept jumping around to different numbers. Assuming it was a fluke problem, I emailed customer service and got a replacement. In between the issue and getting the replacement, I decided to use the top bank of tanks for a few species of goodeids that don't need heaters so I didn't use the replacement in these tanks.

Fast forward a few months to last week. I realized that my room temp dropped a little lower than I wanted so I decided to put a heater back in the tank to bump up the temp.  I grab a brand new Coop heater from my stash and plug it in.  Next day, BAM!, wonky heater issue again. 

Ok, so now I'm confused. I still had the original heater that I had this issue with (because, you know, I'm a hoarder like that) and I put it into a 5 gal tank in my kitchen. It works fine.

I take the new heater that had the issue and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and plug it directly into the wall outlet instead of the surge protector I was using on the big tank and it was fine. So I was thinking maybe the surge protector is off. Just out of curiosity, I moved my bucket-o-water over to the tanks and plugged the heater back into the same outlet on the surge it was in before.  Again, it works fine in the bucket. Now I'm really scratching my head!

I decided to give a different surge protector a try. Switch everything out, put the Coop heater back in the top bank of tanks and plug it back in. Immediate wonkiness. For science, I moved the heater to the bottom row of tanks and plugged it in. Still wonky. 

So to clarify, in a 5 gallon bucket on the floor, both heaters work fine. Put it into either of these tanks and they go nuts. The only thing I can think of is that the light ballasts might be interfering with the heater?  We replaced the bulbs with LEDs when the originals burned out. Also, the standard 100w eheim heaters that came with the display work just fine.

Thoughts? @Cory have you ever come across this?

image.gif.9dc2933c2188205cd7cd620d44a58047.gifimage.jpeg.0b561112cb9cdd39845e22872ebff401.jpegimage.jpeg.0a02be61f1f1cf5301fd51c9d68dfb62.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, Cheryl P. said:

image.gif.9dc2933c2188205cd7cd620d44a58047.gif

Think of it this way....

Most electronics like this use resistance or some form of small component on the micro controller to form the numbers on the LED display.  If you have a display that is doing this, something is causing that resistor or causing some electrical component to malfunction.  Either damage or something caused the issue where one of the electrical components inside failed or is about to.  Because of that, this means that the thermistor or other sensors on the board can't read and function accurately.

The heating element could be fine, but the resistor for the display is bad.  The heating circuit could be bad and the display is outputting correctly.  Hard to say which.  Always have a secondary thermometer to verify things.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 2/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, Cheryl P. said:

Last year I bought an old store display that came with all the equipment.  I wanted to replace one of the heaters, so I busted out a brand new Coop 100W heater to add to the top tanks in the display.  At first everything was fine, then in the morning I saw the heater acting all wonky. The LED kept jumping around to different numbers. Assuming it was a fluke problem, I emailed customer service and got a replacement. In between the issue and getting the replacement, I decided to use the top bank of tanks for a few species of goodeids that don't need heaters so I didn't use the replacement in these tanks.

Fast forward a few months to last week. I realized that my room temp dropped a little lower than I wanted so I decided to put a heater back in the tank to bump up the temp.  I grab a brand new Coop heater from my stash and plug it in.  Next day, BAM!, wonky heater issue again. 

Ok, so now I'm confused. I still had the original heater that I had this issue with (because, you know, I'm a hoarder like that) and I put it into a 5 gal tank in my kitchen. It works fine.

I take the new heater that had the issue and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and plug it directly into the wall outlet instead of the surge protector I was using on the big tank and it was fine. So I was thinking maybe the surge protector is off. Just out of curiosity, I moved my bucket-o-water over to the tanks and plugged the heater back into the same outlet on the surge it was in before.  Again, it works fine in the bucket. Now I'm really scratching my head!

I decided to give a different surge protector a try. Switch everything out, put the Coop heater back in the top bank of tanks and plug it back in. Immediate wonkiness. For science, I moved the heater to the bottom row of tanks and plugged it in. Still wonky. 

So to clarify, in a 5 gallon bucket on the floor, both heaters work fine. Put it into either of these tanks and they go nuts. The only thing I can think of is that the light ballasts might be interfering with the heater?  We replaced the bulbs with LEDs when the originals burned out. Also, the standard 100w eheim heaters that came with the display work just fine.

Thoughts? @Cory have you ever come across this?

image.gif.9dc2933c2188205cd7cd620d44a58047.gifimage.jpeg.0b561112cb9cdd39845e22872ebff401.jpegimage.jpeg.0a02be61f1f1cf5301fd51c9d68dfb62.jpeg

Is there anything else plugged in, in these tanks? A stray current could possibly cause this? I haven't seen this before. And to have it isolated to those tanks, something must be doing this as the odds of 2 out of the insane amount of heaters we have sold being defective for you. While the chance isn't zero, odds are something about these tanks in general is causing it. Gotta keep playing detective.

On 2/5/2023 at 3:56 AM, Cory said:

Is there anything else plugged in, in these tanks? A stray current could possibly cause this? I haven't seen this before. And to have it isolated to those tanks, something must be doing this as the odds of 2 out of the insane amount of heaters we have sold being defective for you. While the chance isn't zero, odds are something about these tanks in general is causing it. Gotta keep playing detective.

After some more testing, I've narrowed it down to definitely the light fixtures.  When they are both unplugged, the issue doesn't happen.  When either of the light fixtures are plugged in, the heater goes crazy, regardless of which tank the heater is in.  The fixtures must be putting out some bad juju that's messing with the electronics. I don't think it's stray current as there isn't any way I can tell that current could be getting from the top light to the bottom tank.

Weird stuff. This might be an excuse to order more coop lights 😏

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 12:56 AM, Cory said:

Just now saw this.

In my case no. The clicks and noises seem to be getting louder/longer. It's very loud at night and I hear it over all of my other two tanks. It's very cold in the room and it's a 100W heater on a 10G to give you an idea of the ambient vs. Temperature. I wonder if there is some sort of condensation that is causing issues and noises? I do need to get another video and try to record the time duration and intensity as well as show there isn't air in the grate causing it.

Like you mentioned, have to keep diagnosing and researching to figure out what is going on.

Maybe run a batch of the 100s with clear plastic or side mounted at a different angle to change flow path. (If it can be easily replicated)

On 2/10/2023 at 7:18 AM, Cheryl P. said:

After some more testing, I've narrowed it down to definitely the light fixtures.  When they are both unplugged, the issue doesn't happen

Which fixtures?

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 2/10/2023 at 11:24 AM, Val said:

Or... Just get a mercury one for $4.  Also has the benefit of being less obtrusive.

A mercury what? I'm a bit confused as to what you are referring to. If you are talking about a thermometer, the heater is malfunctioning and is not stable. A thermometer isn't really going to help the situation. 

Edited by Cheryl P.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, Cheryl P. said:

A mercury what? I'm a bit confused as to what you are referring to. If you are talking about a thermometer, the heater is malfunctioning and is not stable. A thermometer isn't really going to help the situation. 

Man.  That's what happens when you hit a thread while at JiffyLube.  My bad.  Carry on.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 1:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It happens.... My apologies. What was the light that you found to be causing issues?

I put a picture in my original post of the only info that was on the lights. They are older style 48" T8 fixtures that came with the tanks when I bought them. We did replace the original bulbs with Phillips brand LED ones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I finally got around to doing more testing. It's definitely the light that is making the heater's display fluctuate. I took a video of my very scientific test 😉

The T8 light and the heater are plugged into different circuits. I start out with the heater in a bucket and it's working fine. When I move the bucket close to the light the LED goes nuts. Moving the bucket away makes it go back to normal. So @Cory, if you ever see this issue again, have the person check their lights!

• Thanks 1