I Saw Clown Killifish… Now I Want Them!

FLFishChik

So, I’m always perusing the internet for anything fish related and came across Clown Killifish. My heart did an instant flutter and now I want to learn any and everything about these fish!

If you keep them, please show me your pics, tell me about your setups, what foods they eat, what plants, substrate, temps make them happy. Do they like tank mates or are they a species only tank? Do they like groups? How big? Minimum tank size?

Tell Me Everything!

ETA: Corrected the name of the fish. I mistakenly thought they were Bumblebee Goby originally 

Edited by FLFishChik

I have a colony going in a 3.5 gallon aquaponics system. It was supposed to be a few nano fish in a tank to fuel that aquaponics system. I like the planted look, so I put a few in there. That apparently was the magic and now at almost a year later I have 12+ killifish colony breeding in that aquarium and am working hard to get the 20 long secured for their colony to move (so they don’t catapult themselves into fishy heaven). I wasn’t trying to breed them, but planted heavily enough - they will. I love them.

random care:

Food: xtreme nano, live & frozen baby brine. Nothing special for the babies. I just feed whatever is on the docket for the day (all the tanks tend to get the same type of food on a given day - be it live, frozen or dry). 
filter: Right now they are in an aquaponics system but will soon move to a 20L with a sponge filter

planted: yep. Both the submerged plants and plants in the aquaponic system 

temp: I have a generic thermometer that keeps it at 78

They are peaceful enough that they would be fine in a community tank - it would just have to be all nano fish - because so many species can eat them since they are so small (even full grown). They are definitely top dwellers. A lid is a must. 

I have actually found them to be one of easiest species I’ve kept and accidentally bred. 

• Like 1

They're basically going to spend all their time at the top. I've been told they are easy to passively breed but they're fry often look like worms to other fish so if there's anything bigger you won't get many fry.

That was from the store owner talking me out of buying them for my tank so I don't have direct personal experience with keeping them.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:19 AM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

I wish I was able to get some. Anytime a place near me has them, they are all gone by the time I get there 😞. Can't even find eggs in country. The only people online that have them are in eastern europe....

Where are you? I've seen them for sale in the UK (yesterday in fact) in a chain store I think they were about 4 for £15

On 2/5/2023 at 12:53 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Where are you? I've seen them for sale in the UK (yesterday in fact) in a chain store I think they were about 4 for £15

I'm in the US of A. No dice. I don't want to order from online. A friend did and he got all males. He ordered 10, and ALL of them were male. The one time I got to a shop by my work that had just got them like an hour before I whent also had all males. I want to see and pick out, because I want to have a breeding population, not a sausage fest.

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:42 PM, Flumpweesel said:

@Expectorating_Aubergine I wonder if shops and wholesalers are favouring males as they are more showy. Quite a few species of fish seem to have this bias 

No doubt. Females of most species aren’t as colorful or “showy” as the males and therefore not as attractive to the casual fish keeper as the “sparkly” fish as they are to those interested in breeding them. From a business standpoint, I get it… keep what sells the best in the display, but from a consumer standpoint… I want to be able to increase my colony without having to purchase additional fish each time.

I got a group of 6 from AquaHuna last summer and I adore them. Contrary to everything I read/have heard, they do not stay at the top LOL. They swim all over, and one even picked under my log as his favorite hiding place and acts like its his Man Cave. I have had one surprise fry appear, but any others seem to have been eaten by the ember tetras and neon green rasboras in there before they got big enough for me to see. I will say they're way bolder if the tank has floating plants. I got tag along duckweed when I first set up the tank 4 years ago and whenever I let it go wild, they act much happier.

The males do chase each other quite a bit, so the more plants the better. I got one unlucky little female in my group of 6, but she actually is the tank boss at this point. The males leave her alone unless there's spawning behavior, and if they don't, she puts them in their place. I love their behavior. They're very curious and friendly, but sassy with each other. They couldn't care less about the other tank mates.

I feed them Easy Fry And Small Fish Food and the smallest version of the Xtreme pellets. But if you plan to only feed one, get the former. Some of the pellets of the Xtreme are still too big for them, even at the smallest size. So the rasboras usually eat the bigger pellets, and they grab the smaller ones they can fit in their mouths.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:40 PM, Miranda Marie said:

I got a group of 6 from AquaHuna last summer and I adore them. Contrary to everything I read/have heard, they do not stay at the top LOL. They swim all over, and one even picked under my log as his favorite hiding place and acts like its his Man Cave. I have had one surprise fry appear, but any others seem to have been eaten by the ember tetras and neon green rasboras in there before they got big enough for me to see. I will say they're way bolder if the tank has floating plants. I got tag along duckweed when I first set up the tank 4 years ago and whenever I let it go wild, they act much happier.

The males do chase each other quite a bit, so the more plants the better. I got one unlucky little female in my group of 6, but she actually is the tank boss at this point. The males leave her alone unless there's spawning behavior, and if they don't, she puts them in their place. I love their behavior. They're very curious and friendly, but sassy with each other. They couldn't care less about the other tank mates.

I feed them Easy Fry And Small Fish Food and the smallest version of the Xtreme pellets. But if you plan to only feed one, get the former. Some of the pellets of the Xtreme are still too big for them, even at the smallest size. So the rasboras usually eat the bigger pellets, and they grab the smaller ones they can fit in their mouths.

I wonder if keeping them in a species only tank increases the odds of them being less ‘top dwelling’ and produce more fry?

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 7:46 PM, FLFishChik said:

I wonder if keeping them in a species only tank increases the odds of them being less ‘top dwelling’ and produce more fry?

Good question. My tank has lots of other species in it, and they rarely spend time at the top, and they spawn all the time. Only one fry has survived to be big enough for me to see, but they spawn and lay eggs every couple weeks from what I have noticed.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been reconsidering plans for my 29g after seeing how hard my chili rasbora are to feed. These look like they could be a nice tankmate situation. Kinda help disturb the nano pellets or crushed flake so it drops mid tank for the chili