Strange Creature - can anyone identify what is this?

Sanzosam

This strange creature on the glass has been loitering in my tank for about a few months, not multiplying nor affecting anything in the tank. 

Searched online for some id on this but to no avail, if you happen to know what this is, I be happy to be enlightened.

Link to video of the creature's movement here;

IMG_20230205_020534.jpg

IMG_20230205_020548.jpg

IMG_20230205_020602.jpg

Edited by Sanzosam
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 2/4/2023 at 1:03 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would totally have not left that in the tank.  😂

Queue the Stranger Things music. Nope!!! Don't like the looks of that thing at all lol. 

On 2/4/2023 at 1:24 PM, Odd Duck said:

That’s a leech

How does one get a leech in a tank? Bringing it in with plants or something? Yeesh, it's terrifying! 

On 2/4/2023 at 1:28 PM, Goldie Blue said:

How does one get a leech in a tank? Bringing it in with plants or something? Yeesh, it's terrifying! 

Yep, either on live plants (Reverse Respiration is your friend for prevention) or in live aquatic foods like blackworms.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 3:24 AM, Odd Duck said:

That’s a leech.  You’ll want to remove it.  The pattern on the underside is a give away.  It may sometimes move by waving its front half around, then working it’s way to a new spot in an almost inchworm type movement.

Holy.. Pretty freaked out now.. And to think that swam in the tank for months. Probably explains why i lost couple of lampeyes for no reason. 

Heres another video:

On 2/5/2023 at 3:28 AM, Goldie Blue said:

Queue the Stranger Things music. Nope!!! Don't like the looks of that thing at all lol. 

My fault, grabbed stuff from the wild 🙄

In my experience leeches prefer more robust “meals” they don’t usually target something that would die from an involuntary blood draw. They stay in the substrate for the most part and some eat detritus and other worms.

On 2/4/2023 at 11:50 AM, Sanzosam said:

My fault, grabbed stuff from the wild 🙄

I’d watch out for dragonfly and damselfly nymphs as well in that case. Not a problem until they are a few months old and can catch small fish or crustaceans.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 4

On 2/4/2023 at 2:15 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

In my experience leeches prefer more robust “meals” they don’t usually target something that would die from an involuntary blood draw. They stay in the substrate for the most part and some eat detritus and other worms.

I’d watch out for dragonfly and damselfly nymphs as well in that case. Not a problem until they are a few months old and can catch small fish or crustaceans.

I suppose it depends on how hungry they are on whether they would attach to a smaller fish.  I’ve seen pics of leaches attached to surprisingly small aquarium fish.  Smart note about dragonfly and damselfly larvae, for sure, especially when collecting stuff from the wild.

On 2/4/2023 at 11:50 AM, Sanzosam said:

Holy.. Pretty freaked out now.. And to think that swam in the tank for months. Probably explains why i lost couple of lampeyes for no reason. 

Could've came from a water change too depending on location and source.

Keep an eye out for more, you can dose in salt and stuff if you need to just to help the fish perk up.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:32 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Could've came from a water change too depending on location and source.

Keep an eye out for more, you can dose in salt and stuff if you need to just to help the fish perk up.

So far I have only seen one. Probably the third time it appeared over such a long time. Will definitely keep an eye out for more.

I will try not to intervene as much as possible and let nature take its course. Very likely it came from some river pebbles, those are the only stuff from the wild. 

On 2/5/2023 at 8:28 AM, Anjum said:

Where do you live? 

I, for one, am thoroughly horrified. 😳

In Southeast Asia 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2