Apistogramma Diet

Chase Turner

I’ve kept various types of fish that have done well, but I’m still relatively new to the hobby. I’m setting up a planted Apistogramma tank in the next few weeks. There are plenty of resources out there on ideal water parameters, habitat preferences, and other general care information…except diets. I have struggled to find a good source for what and how often to feed a breeding pair of Apistos. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

On 2/3/2023 at 8:22 PM, Chase Turner said:

I have struggled to find a good source for what and how often to feed a breeding pair of Apistos.

Well from what @anewbie mentioned before in my topic, even those lots of info about them in general even changes from one apisto breed to another, even though people generalize all apistos just like one.

I have no  idea if all apistos diet is exactly the same, but it seems like some of their stuff may vary from one species to another, even though people generalize them all as apistos. Which apistos do you have? It may maybe help you to get a response faster  just in case there is any species related effect. 

In aquarium coop's blog post it says "They’re best with live food, like BBS (baby brine shrimp), glass worms, larvae, other kinds of worms, and similar foods of that nature."

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For food and domestic bred fishes - flakes; fluval bug bites; pretty much anything is fine but live food is always preferred - brine shrimp, white worms, vinegar eel, ... 

As for scaping and water condition et all - if you are researching stuff then you should be mentioning a specific species ... 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 12:39 PM, anewbie said:

For food and domestic bred fishes - flakes; fluval bug bites; pretty much anything is fine but live food is always preferred - brine shrimp, white worms, vinegar eel, ... 

I second this. 

I have also noticed the following about apisto eating habits . . .

1. I find they prefer sinking foods over flake as they tend to forage from the bottom rather than the water's surface (though they will eat flakes from the surface if they have to and the tank is shallow enough for the to see the floating items)
  2. They can be picky eaters and suddenly decide they are tired of something and will stop eating it
  3. They eat when they feel like it not necessarily when you feed them. So don't be surprised if it appears like they aren't eating. They are, just not when you are watching.
  4. They are only voracious eaters if there is a lot of competition for the available food
  5. They are easy to over feed, especially if they are in 'picky' mode

I feed all my apistos twice a day, but once a day works as well, as does skipping a meal or day here and there.

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 12:29 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I second this. 

I have also noticed the following about apisto eating habits . . .

1. I find they prefer sinking foods over flake as they tend to forage from the bottom rather than the water's surface (though they will eat flakes from the surface if they have to and the tank is shallow enough for the to see the floating items)
  3. They are easy to over feed, especially if they are in 'picky' mode

I feed all my apistos twice a day, but once a day works as well, as does skipping a meal or day here and there.

Hum. I always push my flakes into the water so they slowly sink - if i don't they get trapped in the plants; i agree they are picky eaters at times. Also with new foods it can take them a while to understand it is food.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:47 AM, Chase Turner said:

Specifically Apistogramma macmasteri. Also looking for frequency of feeding. 

I'd feed a couple of times a day if not adults - and just a pinch. If they become hungry they will become more aggressive at eating and then feed them a little more. It is better to feed them tiny bits more often than a lot once or twice. Unless they are wild caught they won't be that picky and pretty adaptable.

• Thanks 1

I'm far from experienced, but my hongsloi seem to like flake.  I crumble it up relatively small and stir it into the water so it sinks.  They also seem to eat quite a few "pest snail" eggs in tanks they're available for them in.  And if I crush a snail they seem to like eating that as well.  But baby brine shrimp seems to be their favorite.  They do seem to kind of be foraging all day instead of actively waiting for food.  They did eat some sinking pellets for me initially, but the last few times I have put some in they seem untouched so I vacuumed them out.  Might try with a smaller pellet or break them up as I put them in.  

@anewbie you've fed vinegar eels to adult apistos?  I've got a culture and have been waiting for fry to feed that.  They're so stinking tiny I wonder how interested they'd be.

On 2/6/2023 at 3:08 PM, jwcarlson said:

I'm far from experienced, but my hongsloi seem to like flake.  I crumble it up relatively small and stir it into the water so it sinks.  They also seem to eat quite a few "pest snail" eggs in tanks they're available for them in.  And if I crush a snail they seem to like eating that as well.  But baby brine shrimp seems to be their favorite.  They do seem to kind of be foraging all day instead of actively waiting for food.  They did eat some sinking pellets for me initially, but the last few times I have put some in they seem untouched so I vacuumed them out.  Might try with a smaller pellet or break them up as I put them in.  

@anewbie you've fed vinegar eels to adult apistos?  I've got a culture and have been waiting for fry to feed that.  They're so stinking tiny I wonder how interested they'd be.

I have not yet messed with vinegar eels but my adult apisto go wild for bbs when i put it in for frys. After i move and have a basement i'll setup a culture for vinegar eels right now in the condo i don't want to mess with it.

• Like 1

I started one a few months back (in prep for apisto babies eventually) and I haven't done anything with it.  It dawned on me today that I should maybe start a second one for backup.  Otherwise there's an absolute boatload of eels in there and I haven't cultured a ton of live food, but it's hard to imagine anything being easier.  Did wingless fruit flies years ago for toads and even those were a bigger pain than these.  I do understand that feeding can be a moderate headache with the VE, but I think I'll give it a shot tonight.

BBS has been great for the adults.  I like that I can toss a bunch in and they can snack on them/hunt them pretty much all day.  I see a few still swimming around many hours after feeding them.