Growing Kitchen Herbs 🌿 🪴

Fish Folk

I have always thought of myself as anything but a green thumb. But with a passion for aquaculture comes a renewed general interest in plants.

We have a kitchen herb window. It faces north… so not very good… but still inviting.

Recently, I added an aquarium fluorescent bulb from AquaSun, two LED lights, planted seeds for Basil, Oregano, and Bunching Onions. I made little “stools” to raise them up towards the light, and use high nitrate aquarium water for the pots…

4E96B189-AD13-41A8-A4A6-0980216A610A.jpeg.be8dc585649bef56fe0380fee75a9e49.jpeg

Once plants grow, I’ll remove the stools. Just noticed early growth…

BA89B563-FDB2-41B2-8CFC-D810BD1AA4F6.jpeg.e300636551066f886c67cfe36e1cecd9.jpeg

F03530B8-09EA-4734-AB39-8790796C90D2.jpeg.5adaa696f3ff252c7f1b817e8c600875.jpeg

3B20CDE5-E00F-4421-BFC5-47293880BB30.jpeg.db84f5a064636da403a85716000832b0.jpeg

Kind of a janky setup 😂 

(have I mentioned that my wife is very easy-going?)

• Like 4
  • Love 4

I hope you continue to have success!

In my house I don't have any south facing room/window options, so houseplant growth isn't nearly fast enough to warrant frequent watering. I have lots of aquarium water, but a) it's low in nitrates because I have a water change system, and b) I can't use a fraction of the waste water I produce for plants, because they'll drown. 

Because of all this, I've found that my tank water doesn't cut it as fertilizer. I absolutely agree it's better than tap water, and I use it all the time, but if I want to see/support decent plant growth, I need more fuel than what tank water can provide. 

I've found over the years that successful gardeners (like aquarium keepers) are that way because they've failed and learned from all the things that didn't work. A garden (or room) full of thriving plants is built on all the failures that came before it. I tried that, and it didn't work. So I tried something else. Then something else. And the thing you see here is huge and green and thriving because it's the plant that works in my space with my schedule and the resources that are available to me. 🙂

Hopefully your plants in that space will be winners! 

Since seedlings are obviously starting so well there, what about pepper or tomato starts? 🙂

• Like 2

Nice set-up! I hope your little seedlings will grow into big and healthy plants.

I tried many times but never got herbs (especially dill, duh!) to grow inside, the conditions were never good enough for them. Which doesn't prevent me from still tossing random fruit stones, beans, and seeds into the pots just to see what happens. It's surprising and exciting to see how many things meant to be eaten can sprout and grow for a while :) 

• Like 1

@Fish Folk, I almost feel that I should warn you before it's too late. My best friend started growing herbs indoors in an Aerogarden during early pandemic. What she has going on now is MGS--multiple garden syndrome--to the Nth degree. What started on the kitchen counter has expanded to bedrooms, office, basement, and LIVING ROOM. Lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, chard, tatsoi, you name it. 

Like fishkeeping, there are online groups. She has even entered contests for who can grow the most tomatoes in XX days from seed, etc. Like a breeder's award!

It's dangerously addictive and expensive-- proceed with caution!\

P.S. Your little plant stools are super cute!

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Love the little plant stools.  I hung my plant light on chains over my flats so I could adjust as the plants grew.  Even in a south facing window my basil and other herb starts would get pretty leggy but that was before LED lights were common.  I was using fluorescents when I last started seeds indoors.  You will likely have better luck with your LED lights.  Getting them outside as soon as possible is best for herbs which are mostly high light plants.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely love this! I am a gardener, and I have been dumping my changes into my front gardens. I am intending to actually siphon into those giant watering cans, and medium watering cans I need to buy so that I can garden directly.  I test soil ph 

I also take old aquarium clippings and detritus and put them in my compost. I use my compost to add to my vegetable garden. This year I am thinking about doing sow directly (seeds) so that I can actually get something in the ground and just journaling what works. Otherwise I might just stick with my flowers. I love that the same chemistry is involved in both gardening AND aquariums. And I love that I get to lean on what I learned in college and high school for both hobbies. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...