What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

7 minutes ago, Socqua said:

I mentioned the inkbird earlier in this thread. Just hookup your heater to the inkbird thermostat and you can control the temperature remotely, monitor it, etc..

It funny, and I don't have the energy to document it, but probably about 75 - 80% of the products that people have asked for on this thread already existed. Even the product that Cory wished for as it turned out already existed.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It funny, and I don't have the energy to document it, but probably about 75 - 80% of the products that people have asked for on this thread already existed. Even the product that Cory wished for as it turned out already existed.

Yeah, there’s tons of speciality items out there. And sometimes difficult to find exactly what your wanting online if you don’t know a name for it. 
There’s even a start to the one you wanted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K3UGZAA/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Still a little bulky, but don’t think it was designed for the purpose of aquariums. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FishyThoughts said:

Yeah, there’s tons of speciality items out there. And sometimes difficult to find exactly what your wanting online if you don’t know a name for it. 
There’s even a start to the one you wanted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K3UGZAA/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Still a little bulky, but don’t think it was designed for the purpose of aquariums. 

Oh the irony, but yes!

On 11/24/2020 at 6:13 PM, Ali said:

I really just want a digital thermometer that is precise AND accurate. Many digitals I've tried are precise, but comparing multiple units of the exact same model set up right next to each other (controlling for location, flow, etc.), I have yet to find some that agree within a couple degrees. Any good ideas? Please share!

I use "non-aquarium" thermometers by Thermoworks...I personally use the thermopop https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop

1 hour ago, SarcasticWit said:

Isn't lead toxic?

Yes it is. And there’s no guarantee that was actually lead. That item was using a fishing weight as the weight. Many weights are being made from other materials than lead, like magnesium or zinc. But inherently retain the common naming “lead weight” from which they originally were. 

9 hours ago, SarcasticWit said:

I use "non-aquarium" thermometers by Thermoworks...I personally use the thermopop https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop

All thermometers are likely off a degree or two so I calibrate my thermometers with thermometer of known and proven accuracy. But wait..that sounds impossible because aren't all thermometers off a little bit.

The solution is to get a NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) certified thermometer as reference. The one I use is guaranteed to be within plus or minus 0.1°F of the actual temperature by a traceable certification (just like other high precision weights and measures).

image.png.bc91c4f23cd68d2f224a1751bdac72a3.png

The other less high technology way to determine an accurate temperature is to use three thermometers and take the average. Not quite as good a calibrated thermometer, but probably not too bad either.

The root question is it even necessary? How close to the edge are you living if your measurement being off a degree or two is going to result in fish fatality? If it's just for fun, go ham. Scratch that NERM itch. (not sure I used NERM right...)

Sorry to go off topic, I just don't want people to think they have to get an expensive device when a 3 pack of aquarium digital thermometers can be had from the jungle for less than 15USD. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ryan F said:

The root question is it even necessary? How close to the edge are you living if your measurement being off a degree or two is going to result in fish fatality? If it's just for fun, go ham. Scratch that NERM itch. (not sure I used NERM right...)

Sorry to go off topic, I just don't want people to think they have to get an expensive device when a 3 pack of aquarium digital thermometers can be had from the jungle for less than 15USD. 

None of these items that we want are necessary. Thus, a 'dream' product.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ryan F said:

Why a 3-pack of digital thermometers?

On 1/16/2021 at 10:53 AM, Ryan F said:

It wasn't so much of a recommendation as I don't even have thermometers in most of my aquariums, much less calibrated ones. It was more of rejoinder to an earlier post of mine in this thread that many of the wished for products actually do exist.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:12 PM, SarcasticWit said:

I really just want a digital thermometer that is precise AND accurate.

My main aquarium use for calibrated thermometers have been in running trials comparing treatments to similar aquariums where I want the various probes to report accurately.

Although I have been known to setup an overly monitored aquarium, the majority of my aquariums are somewhat minimalist, without many of the modern aquarium appliances like heaters and filters that are thought to be necessary.

image.png.290303235e3de3f14c496b2be52036

• Like 2

A water change system that works with garden hoses.  A hook that attaches to the hose to keep the hose from slipping off the aquarium when filling and a clear syphon tube (24 inches) for gravel vacuuming which a screen built in to it to keep snails and fish out that can screw on to the hose when taking water out.  It doesn’t seem to difficult of a dream does it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lifeisgood said:

A water change system that works with garden hoses.  A hook that attaches to the hose to keep the hose from slipping off the aquarium when filling and a clear syphon tube (24 inches) for gravel vacuuming which a screen built in to it to keep snails and fish out that can screw on to the hose when taking water out.  It doesn’t seem to difficult of a dream does it?

I fill one or two of my larger tanks with a water hose from outside when doing water changes, but I don't want anything automatic. If I had that I just know I'd walk off, get distracted, and wind up flooding the house.  It's best for all concerned that I have to stand right there with the nozzle in my hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JettsPapa said:

I fill one or two of my larger tanks with a water hose from outside when doing water changes, but I don't want anything automatic. If I had that I just know I'd walk off, get distracted, and wind up flooding the house.  It's best for all concerned that I have to stand right there with the nozzle in my hand.

Have to set it up fully automatic, float switch or something to shut it off. But without shutting off automatically, I could definitely see myself using way too much water to mop the floors! 🤣

• Like 1

I found some shut off valves and syphoned and filled my tanks from the basement.  The shut off valves (all metal brass ones) seem to still let a small amount of water through when I close them. I have one by the tanks and one down by the utility sink in the basement. First try wasn’t too bad but I had to run up and down the stairs trying to get the temperature right.  When I thought it was good from downstairs I think someone flushed the toilet and the water got too warm suddenly!  I will make sure that doesn’t happen again!

A glass coating that inhibits algae growth! You'd apply it when the aquarium is dry, let it cure and algae won't be able to grow on it!

Also, different siphon nozzles. I would love a very wide one for cleaningg bare bottom tanks super fast with a single sweep. I guess we could do a DIY one? Like this but wider. 

31dpwplfoaL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HenryC said:

A glass coating that inhibits algae growth

That's wild... I don't have much algae problems, but I have a small 2.5 gallon tank I play with that has algae on the front glass. I was just cleaning it two hours ago and thinking some sort of tint or film should be able to inhibit algae growth.

Then I come on here and see your post! I was even thinking of this thread, and all the millions I could make if I could design something like this 😁.

• Haha 1

Now that I've lived with my crazy amazon hydroponic system, I have SO MANY things I would change to make it less of a gigantic pain to maintain, and look a lot nicer to boot.

Basically, I want a Hang on Back filter with a reservoir about the width of the whole tank.

One nice little inlet with a sponge prefilter, preferably with a check valve built into the stem in case of power outages, a normal little submersible pump up there like you'll find on any HOB filter.

A long plastic basket/sump with hydroponic clay beads about 4" deep and 4" wide (with legs or a base to help support the water weight, this can even be all-black to be a ready-made backdrop). This is where you'll plant your basil or calendula or whatever floats your boat (with convenient places to clip on grow lights if you need em).

At the other end from the pump is a simple grated waterfall outlet.

So water is continually flowing in on one end, feeding the plants, with heavier particles and sludge sinking down, and clean water flowing out the other end. A simple drainage outlet with a mechanical flow switch can be easily connected to a hose for super easy water changes.

Now I just need to patent it, get it manufactured and sell it exclusively through Aquarium Co-Op. We'll make millions! 😄

• Like 4

On 1/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, Kirsten said:

Now that I've lived with my crazy amazon hydroponic system, I have SO MANY things I would change to make it less of a gigantic pain to maintain, and look a lot nicer to boot.

Basically, I want a Hang on Back filter with a reservoir about the width of the whole tank.

One nice little inlet with a sponge prefilter, preferably with a check valve built into the stem in case of power outages, a normal little submersible pump up there like you'll find on any HOB filter.

A long plastic basket/sump with hydroponic clay beads about 4" deep and 4" wide (with legs or a base to help support the water weight, this can even be all-black to be a ready-made backdrop). This is where you'll plant your basil or calendula or whatever floats your boat (with convenient places to clip on grow lights if you need em).

At the other end from the pump is a simple grated waterfall outlet.

So water is continually flowing in on one end, feeding the plants, with heavier particles and sludge sinking down, and clean water flowing out the other end. A simple drainage outlet with a mechanical flow switch can be easily connected to a hose for super easy water changes.

Now I just need to patent it, get it manufactured and sell it exclusively through Aquarium Co-Op. We'll make millions! 😄

I like this. I've even drawn up a "behind the tank sump" that you could add this hydroponic feature too. The only other thing I would add would be a way to convert the intake to a gravel vac.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan F said:

I like this. I've even drawn up a "behind the tank sump" that you could add this hydroponic feature too. The only other thing I would add would be a way to convert the intake to a gravel vac.  

Ooh...wouldn't that be cool? I'm picturing an intake tube that's flexible like a bendy straw and a plastic cuff to couple a gravel vac to it. It could work!