I believe I may have canal neuromast inflammation. What do I do?

ab1990

I have 3 electric blue acaras amongst other fish in a 75g tank. I noticed one acara appears to like hiding between a crevice, and has a white than normal forehead. 

My water parameters are good, due to mainly recovering from ick and dosing ick x, following 30-40 percent water changes. After ick cleared, I couldn't stand my gravel substrate anymore so I did a fish-in substrate swap to sand. 

I have 2 aquaclear 110s and my water is clear. One of these pictures is taken from the side, showing my water is clear. Between the ick, the substrate change, whatever, this fish must have developed something. I have a 10g quarantine tank, I am just not sure how to treat the fish. It appears that CNI is caused by horrible water quality with mass bacteria floating in the water. That isn't really the case right now, will this resolve itself or do I need to QT it and treat the fish with ___? I have kanaplex, but not sure if that'll help. 

PXL_20230202_234005784.jpg

PXL_20230202_234705929.jpg

PXL_20230202_234707867.jpg

PXL_20230202_234009542.jpg

PXL_20230203_001412642.jpg

Looks like canal neuromast inflammation you say   your water parameters good what are your ammonia nitrite nitrate etc just in case something off what I would do is add a UV steriliser to lower the bacterial count and do a course of metronidazole in food that the active ingredient in metroplex feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks it can also be associated with a dietary deficiency what are you feeding and how often @ab1990IMG_20230203_023040.jpg.36162b0429c3cde5e0277301cd8e52e0.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, thanks. So I recently recovered from ick, so my water parameters are a little off due to large water changes daily dosing ick x. That was 14 days ago or so. 

But ph is about 7.4. Ammonia 0. Nitrites 0. Nitrate 5-10ppm. (was 20-40 before I had ick and did water changes a lot). 

I feed flake food with several times a week frozen blood worms/frozen brine shrimp. I'll put the fish in the 10g QT tank and pick up some metroplex! Must I mix it with food or can I dose the tank? I only ask because I'm low on money right now, extremely, and I don't have any binding agent. 

On 2/2/2023 at 6:39 PM, Colu said:

Looks like canal neuromast inflammation you say   your water parameters good what are your ammonia nitrite nitrate etc just in case something off what I would do is add a UV steriliser to lower the bacterial count and do a course of metronidazole in food that the active ingredient in metroplex feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks it can also be associated with a dietary deficiency what are you feeding and how often @ab1990IMG_20230203_023040.jpg.36162b0429c3cde5e0277301cd8e52e0.jpg

Edited by ab1990

On 2/3/2023 at 5:59 AM, ab1990 said:

feed flake food with several times a week frozen blood worms/frozen brine shrimp. I'll put the fish in the 10g QT tank and pick up some metroplex! Must I mix it with food or can I dose the tank? I only ask because I'm low on money right now, extremely, and I don't have any binding agent. 

It's more effective in food you don't have to use the garlic guard that's just to encourage them to eat the medicated food seachems focus binds more broad of the medication to the food you don't need it you so you can use this recipe with just food and metroplex EBA are omnivores that require a higher protein diet that also requires some vegetable matter I would feed some broccoli and   a good quality spirulina flake as well IMG_20230115_234815.jpg.3992ca0cf0f5bcb2fbf83a39e5f417a2.jpg

• Like 1

Ok. I picked up metroplex and I also bought hikari cichlid bio-gold+ pellet food. Does this food have any vegetable matter in it for the fish, or is it still not enough? They had hikari excel pellet food too, but reading reviews it looks like bio gold+ is better quality?? If it's still not a good rounded diet for them, I can use broccoli in the mean time. Do I just soften up the broccoli and plop it in the tank and remove leftover a day or two later?

Secondary question- is this pellet food good for my tetras as well, or should I stick with feeding this cichlid pellet and flake food for both types of fish?

Edited by ab1990

On 2/3/2023 at 5:49 PM, ab1990 said:

Ok. I picked up metroplex and I also bought hikari cichlid bio-gold+ pellet food. Does this food have any vegetable matter in it for the fish, or is it still not enough? They had hikari excel pellet food too, but reading reviews it looks like bio gold+ is better quality?? If it's still not a good rounded diet for them, I can use broccoli in the mean time. Do I just soften up the broccoli and plop it in the tank and remove leftover a day or two later?

Secondary question- is this pellet food good for my tetras as well, or should I stick with feeding this cichlid pellet and flake food for both types of fish?

It depends of the size of the pellets they might be to two big for your tetras it is a good quality food for cichlids  I would still supplement his diet with repashy soilent green or  broccoli you can blanch broccoli or other veggies leave them in for 24hr then remove it that what I do when feeding cucumber spinach lettuce to my catfish 

Thank you so much for your patience. One last question. 

I have noticed another acara has a white spot on the base of it's dorsal fin. And it's matching the exact same size, on both sides. Just one spot, on each side. 

Should I QT him as well and feed metroplex? Or do you think he's fine? I have noticed this around the same time the other acara has been in question

On 2/4/2023 at 12:48 AM, ab1990 said:

Thank you so much for your patience. One last question. 

I have noticed another acara has a white spot on the base of it's dorsal fin. And it's matching the exact same size, on both sides. Just one spot, on each side. 

Should I QT him as well and feed metroplex? Or do you think he's fine? I have noticed this around the same time the other acara has been in question

It could a damage fin ray I would just monitor if your notice it getting worse then I would more it to the QT tank and treat

So the main acara in question I moved into my 10g QT. Dude does not seem happy at all, basically either hiding in a cringe castle I have, or just floating there. 

Will not eat the metroplex (or any food for that matter). I know just dosing metroplex into the water is barely effective...should I put him in a metro bath? Get a container, fill it up 1/2" dose a lot of metroplex, and make him gasp and gulp and flop the stuff down for a few minutes? I'd imagine this would be stressful for him, but I don't know what to do. Should I just dose the tank and see what happens after 4 days, then make the call on the bath?

Edited by ab1990

On 2/4/2023 at 6:33 PM, ab1990 said:

So the main acara in question I moved into my 10g QT. Dude does not seem happy at all, basically either hiding in a cringe castle I have, or just floating there. 

Will not eat the metroplex (or any food for that matter). I know just dosing metroplex into the water is barely effective...should I put him in a metro bath? Get a container, fill it up 1/2" dose a lot of metroplex, and make him gasp and gulp and flop the stuff down for a few minutes? I'd imagine this would be stressful for him, but I don't know what to do. Should I just dose the tank and see what happens after 4 days, then make the call on the bath?

If he refuses the medicated food I would just dose his tank following the instructions of the box you can add some aquarium salt as well 1 table spoon for 2 gallon that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

On 2/4/2023 at 4:40 PM, Colu said:

If he refuses the medicated food I would just dose his tank following the instructions of the box you can add some aquarium salt as well 1 table spoon for 2 gallon that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

Not sure what to do. It's been days now, and the little guy hasn't eaten at all. Nothing. I mixed flake, unflavored gelatin, metro in a mud and put it in the fridge. The other sick fish are eating it (a rummy I suspected to have columnaris, a German blue ram which developed hole in the head possibly,) but the acara just will not. Starting to look thin. Losing more and more color, and the head looking more white. 

I am still dosing metro and kanaplex in water column. 

PXL_20230208_015036134.jpg

PXL_20230208_015049294.jpg