What Are You NOT Allowed To Keep In Your State?

FLFishChik

So, relatively speaking, I am a newbie, more so the aquatic plant side than the fish side. However, as I was looking into possibly adding floating plants to my growing Aqua garden, I sadly discovered that the one plant I really wanted to obtain is…. ILLEGAL in my state!!!! **gasp** “oh dear water lettuce, you were but a fleeting dream…”

Yep, Dwarf Water Lettuce is a no no in Florida. It’s suuuper invasive, takes over waterways, chokes out native plants and fish, eats small pets and children… and it sent me looking into other “aquarium” life that is forbidden, like any and all species of Piranha (not that I wanted them, but know others keep them) and it made me wonder…

what are plants or fish that YOU’VE wanted or looked for only to discover they weren’t allowed in your state?

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 2

I think Salvinia is the same way here in California. Not entirely sure if it's all of it or just the bigger of the species. Salvinia minima is one I want to get here soon.

There's a lot of bad issues with people flushing things or releasing things in the wild when they decide they can't care for it. Plants go to compost and livestock doesn't go to the lake/river.

Found this...

Pretty cool little tool.

https://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=2785

Edited by nabokovfan87
added link
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 7:40 PM, Mynameisnobody said:

@FLFishChik I am also in Florida and luckily there isn’t much that we can’t keep. I’m much more bummed we can’t keep Asian Arowanna and Channa Barca, but that’s a nation wide ban. 

But…. I wanted waaater lettuuuuce! *shakes fist in sad frustration**

On 2/2/2023 at 7:52 PM, Theplatymaster said:
Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 2

Any snakehead, although this is not specifically for my state but nationwide. I spent a week talking to different reps from DNA trying to get a permit for a Channa Barca before finally getting a hard no. They said the only person they would consider giving a permit for a snakehead would be Clemson University for their fishery program, and even the. They would need a convincing argument why they needed one.

• Like 1

so…we have a pretty long list of prohibited fish, plants and snails in our state (and game fish are their own special thing)…

But that I’ve actually wanted to keep…

I’m pretty sure freshwater stingrays are illegal here. Not that they were on my short list, but maybe a future specimen one day…but not an option here. 

If I'm not wrong, turtles of any type.

Also I feel like amano shrimps. Probably not banned but somehow impossible to find. They are super common in the hobby in the world but I have not seen a single one in my country for 10yrs+. I've seen a guy started breeding them at home 2 years ago tho. Interesting breeding project, he kept sharing every small stages. 

Edited by Lennie

On 2/2/2023 at 9:45 PM, Littlefish said:

Dwarf water lettuce is all over my FL neighborhood.  Kind of pointless not to grab some and put it in the tank.  That said, exotic fauna and flora has really ruined natural FL.

I grew up in SoFlo and yes, it was all over the place when I was still living there in the 90’s. In the 80’s, my High School Biology class took on a project of trying to remove it from a local waterway with rakes and wheel barrows. We spent several weekends with 15 plus kids raking and wheeling it off and after a month it barely looked like we did anything. Currently I live just North of Daytona and if it had ever been here, then they did a darn good job of eradicating it because it’s nowhere to be found, else I’d go pick some up out of a local waterway and use it (and destroy it as needed). BUT… no such luck here!

Edited by FLFishChik

On 2/3/2023 at 7:22 AM, Pepere said:

Maine…

any invertebrates, so no snails, no shrimp.  At least freshwater, saltwater no problem,…. hillstream loaches, celestial pearl danios, chili rasboras, are among the most felt items the state bans….

there is a list of approved…. And the state has no interest in adding any new fish to the list.  Technically there is a means to request new additions, but they require you to provide a lot of documentation proving it wont be a problem….  And proving a negation is arduous and involved, and since there is no profit motive, its not going to happen…. Simply stating a species is allowed in every other state and it hasnt been a problem is not going to be persuasive.

in essence the state doesnt want to be bothered considering additions so they have set the bar high enough to dissuade submissions.   And they pride themselves on having the most restrictive rules in the country..

No CPDs or Chilis either??? Are they really considered invasive there? Omg… I want both eventually! 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:40 PM, Mynameisnobody said:

@FLFishChik I am also in Florida and luckily there isn’t much that we can’t keep. I’m much more bummed we can’t keep Asian Arowanna and Channa Barca, but that’s a nation wide ban. 

No channa, its so annoying because there are only a few cold water species that ruin it for everyone 

• Like 1

Ohio has at least 13 banned fish including one subspecies of killifish.  40+plants are banned from distribution and sale. The only ones I could be sure of being aquatic were: Parrot Feather and Anacharis (Elodea/Egeria Densa).  There are quite a few such as: Water Lettuce and Water Hyacinth and Moneywort that are listed as invasive or invasive/injurious.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:18 PM, FLFishChik said:

Yep, Dwarf Water Lettuce is a no no in Florida. It’s suuuper invasive

What isn't super invasive in Florida? It seems like every week I lean about some new exotic pet that was released there are started a wild population