Looking for some feedback/input on hardscape

So I had this tank setup (just hardscape) for a little over a week, but after I kept looking at it, as well as some other input from forum members here, instead of going to the voting booth (I voted early), I decided to mess with this hardscape some more. I plan on putting in some Java FernAmazon Swords, Vallisneria, and some Hygrophila Angustifolia to give it a flowing river look & try and help hide the filter tubes. 

So with that, I am not a 100% happy with the flow/layout, what are your suggestions? I've still got a lot of wood and rocks, but my wife feels like there is enough wood it it. 

Thanks for the input.  

IMG_5285.JPG

I love the big rocks! They are way underutilized.

But you asked for it, so here it comes. The big vertical is a perfect opportunity for 'rule of thirds' so move it just a bit to the left so it isn't so centered.

Edit the big rocks some (remove some). What looks more natural is 1 or 2 big rocks together surrounded by 8 - 10 medium rocks, and those medium rocks are surrounded by 20 - 50 small rocks. Think about how a fractal works. Or think about this way, how many mediums until the weight is the same as the big one. How many smalls until their weight is as much as the big ones? You can have big rocks on both sides, just not so many, and they need to be balanced by ever increasing smaller sizes.

The hardest part of any art is the removing. In video editing is called 'killing your babies'. You get so attached to something you like and worked hard on that it is difficult to leave it on the cutting room floor. But in the end, less is more.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I love the big rocks! They are way underutilized.

But you asked for it, so here it comes. The big vertical is a perfect opportunity for 'rule of thirds' so move it just a bit to the left so it isn't so centered.

Edit the big rocks some (remove some). What looks more natural is 1 or 2 big rocks together surrounded by 8 - 10 medium rocks, and those medium rocks are surrounded by 20 - 50 small rocks. Think about how a fractal works. Or think about this way, how many mediums until the weight is the same as the big one. How many smalls until their weight is as much as the big ones? You can have big rocks on both sides, just not so many, and they need to be balanced by ever increasing smaller sizes.

The hardest part of any art is the removing. In video editing is called 'killing your babies'. You get so attached to something you like and worked hard on that it is difficult to leave it on the cutting room floor. But in the end, less is more.

Appreciate the thoughts, and by all means I would not have asked if I wasn't prepared to receive it. 

I certainly get the medium followed by smaller rocks, and that is my fault because I did not mention that I have left most of the smaller stuff out at tis time, so I should have mentioned that. As for the fractal part, I've never really thought the way you described, so I will certainly be more cognizant of that. 

That big piece of wood has been a real pain to work with, but I truly love the way it looks. One issue I have had is it still wants to float, but just barely. I usually put light pressure on it to get it to sink, so I was using the tank cross support to hold it down. If I moved it over to the left I would need to adjust the rock layout to help make sure there is something to help hold it down. If I did that I could move the filter tubes over to the left side, and then clear almost all but one or two larger rocks from the right side. 

I agree that removing stuff can be difficult, but at present time I have had everything in & out of this tank about a dozen times. If I think I like something I take a bunch of pictures and then pull everything out. This is my first project of this size with this much visibility, so I want it to be right (or as close as I can with my current experience).

Thanks again for the input.  

I agree with what Daniel said already. You could also put some big rocks into the curved parts at the base of the vertical log so it looks like it has grown out and around the rocks.

Once you're happy with the layout, you can superglue the log to one of the rocks to weigh it down and prevent it from floating.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, classicshooter said:

That big piece of wood has been a real pain to work with, but I truly love the way it looks. One issue I have had is it still wants to float, but just barely. I usually put light pressure on it to get it to sink,

I had a similar problem. Like your experience, my biggest piece just barely wanted to float. Necessity being of invention, I placed a couple of my biggest rocks over its 'roots' and it has been in place ever since. So the design isn't all art, sometimes the constraint is mechanical and you just have to accept it and design from there.

• Like 1

I love the piece of driftwood! Looking good so far. 

I'd mess around with moving the driftwood a little more off centered. I did some sloppy photoshopping to show you what I mean. The "rule of thirds" can be helpful for scaping. 

Current:

IMG_5285org.jpg.d8aed2ff32a44fad9802cdb384e780de.jpg

With the driftwood moved:IMG_5285edit.jpg.2dbf67f61096cd5a995e68d8b22331a5.jpg

IMG_5285grid.jpg.0ef3cd43d64edabfeb7e3c441bdce969.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fully agree with what Daniel and Jessica said. You have a great basis here with that piece of wood and the big boulders. Just play around with it until it is visually appealing. Also bear in mind it will look different again when you put your plants in it. Any ideas for fish yet?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ruud said:

Fully agree with what Daniel and Jessica said. You have a great basis here with that piece of wood and the big boulders. Just play around with it until it is visually appealing. Also bear in mind it will look different again when you put your plants in it. Any ideas for fish yet?

Still narrowing down what fish we are putting in this tank, but fish we are looking at are Khuli Loaches, Amano Shrimp, Bamboo Shrimp, and possibly moving my Hillstream Loaches into this tank. Also I am looking at community fish that I can do a large school of like White Cloud Minnows, Leopard Longfin Danio, or a Gold Leopard Longfin Danio. With all that we are still researching and deciding exactly what we will put int he tank, but certainly something stream/river theme that likes water movement and cooler water. 

Well after several more layouts, most of them I was not happy with or worried about the over stability of the rocks, I have this currently sitting the tank. Obviously it still needs more medium & smaller rocks, but thoughts? I'd still like a little more wood, and I have a bunch of small stuff that can get used. Maybe a small in the far right corner? Maybe a piece on the bottom as if it just fell there? 

IMG_5301.JPG

Edited by classicshooter
Added stuff I forgot to say.
  • Like 1