How long before I can swap a filter in tank?

SupersoNick95

I am currently running a medium sized Co-op sponge in my 20 gallon planted tank. I am looking to get better mechanical filtration and would also like more floor space for planting dense background plants. I like Sponges for the simplicity but cleaning them is annoying and they take up valuable space. I am currently running an old Seachem tidal 35 which has cycled media within it, in conjunction with the sponge. Would it be risky to remove the sponge in one shot or should I wait some time before taking out completely from the tank?

This tank has been running for almost a year, I'd say about 10 months. 

Edited by SupersoNick95

Has the Seachem filter been in the tank the whole 10 months?  If yes, you should be able to go ahead and take the sponge filter out.  If not, I'd wait until it's been in there for at least a month, and longer would of course be better.

Of course monitor the water parameters for a while after removing it, but you probably already knew that.

• Like 1

The media within the filter has been cycled for about 6 months. I used the filter in a 10 gallon and 5-gallon krib grow out tank and neither had issues with water paremeters, water changes every month. It just hasnt been running within this specific tank for that long so maybe ill just move it to an empty area where i dont want to plant.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:42 PM, JettsPapa said:

Has the Seachem filter been in the tank the whole 10 months?  If yes, you should be able to go ahead and take the sponge filter out.  If not, I'd wait until it's been in there for at least a month, and longer would of course be better.

Of course monitor the water parameters for a while after removing it, but you probably already knew that.

The media within the Tidal has been cycled for about 6 months. I used the filter in a 10 gallon and 5-gallon krib grow out tank and neither had issues with water parameters going from tank to tank. I only needed to do water changes every month. It just hasn't been running within this specific tank for that long so maybe ill just move the sponge to an empty area where i don't want to plant.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:47 PM, SupersoNick95 said:

The media within the Tidal has been cycled for about 6 months.

The media contains enough bacteria to deal with the current stocking of the specific tank, So it would depend on from what type of a tank it is coming from and what kind of stocking, feeding pattern, etc. you have on the new one.

If you move it from a more overstocked tank to less stocked one, potentially it will be dealing just fine. Otherwise, it would take a bit of time to catch up imo.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:53 PM, Lennie said:

The media contains enough bacteria to deal with the current stocking of the specific tank, So it would depend on from what type of a tank it is coming from and what kind of stocking, feeding pattern, etc. you have on the new one.

If you move it from a more overstocked tank to less stocked one, potentially it will be dealing just fine. Otherwise, it would take a bit of time to catch up imo.

Yeah, sounds right. Just wish the tidal had more room for biomedia. I can barely fit any into the basket to have room left for filter floss.