New cryptocoryne wendtii green

Stan Z

Crypts are one of my favorite plants (I have around a half dozen varieties), and easy to grow, but they are finicky about being transplanted.  Mine will go through transplant shock just being moved between my tanks, with the same water, light, temp, etc.

If it was me I'd trim the yellow leaves off and plant it where you want now.  That way it only has to adapt to new conditions once.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:05 PM, Stan Z said:

@JettsPapa @lefty oThanks for the advice. I think these will look great in my tank. They're replacing some of my Anubias. Got frustrated with those. 

What went wrong with the anubias?  They're usually almost bullet-proof (unless you put the rhizome below the top of the substrate; they don't like that).

• Like 1

I've read some people cut all the leaves off their crypts before planting them, so the crypt will focus all its energy on new growth. I've never done that b/c I think the plant can suck some nutrients out of those old leaves, so I wait until they look terrible then cut them off, and just check that the new growth looks good 👍

I also give every crypt a root tab when planting. 

Edited by MattyM
grammar
  • Like 2

@JettsPapa I lost a lot if anubias to rhizome rot. After the co op replaced 4 over time I was finally told the rot was contagious to other anubias. Didn't know. I still have two healthy anubias barterri but I decided to go with a different plant this time.

@jwcarlsonthis is the first plant I received that did not look perfectly healthy.