Sand/gravel substrate mix for crypts?

Seized

I’m think of using a sand and gravel combo to cap some soil in my aquarium to keep the soil from making a mess but I also want any mulm and fish waste to be able to settle under the gravel. Would a gravel and sand combo work or is it better to use one or the other? 

I have either pool filter sand or Black Diamond sandblasting sand in all ten tanks (including the ones with soil as the bottom layer), so that would be my recommendation.  Waste stays on top where it's easy to vacuum up (though I leave mine to break down to feed the plants).  Others prefer gravel.  I don't know of any reason to mix the two unless you want the benefits of sand but want the rocks for aesthetic reasons.

• Like 2

In my small tank I have Seachem sand capped with gravel. I'm not sure if this is better for plant growth or not, but the gravel cap is asceticly pleasing and functional in that it keeps the cories away from digging up the root tabs. If I were to do it again I'd try adding a small void (plenum) raising up the sand off the bottom of the tank just to see what the fuss is about.

I did fluval stratum, gravel, then sand in a couple tanks.  The idea being the gravel might allow for better root growth, though I don't know that I buy that.  But it's also less friable so when I'm shoving plants around it tends to keep things down under the sand better than just sand might.  Eventually the sand will settle into the gravel so it probably doesn't matter at all.  But what are these boxes of water we keep if not experiments?