Oddball Predator tank ideas/tips

Kieflow

Hello all!

I’m considering an oddball predator tank (specifically albino bichir and leopard ctenopomas). Curious on the communities thoughts on if the 2 species would be compatible and other things to consider such as tank size/setups. Im also interested in breeding if I went with only one of the species. I’d love to see setups anyone currently has for this type of tank. I am open to different species suggestions as well! Thanks! 

On 2/2/2023 at 6:16 AM, Kieflow said:

I’m considering an oddball predator tank (specifically albino bichir and leopard ctenopomas)

I just want to say I love my leopard, it's such a gorgeous looking and interesting to observe and interact with fish. It likes dense plant coverage, the more jungle, the better...prefers live food but not too fussy about it. Doesn't bother tankmates unless they are of edible size. 

leopard-bushfish-close-up.jpg.962f2727cd6a633f715e6d4d77f56209.jpg

• Love 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:22 AM, Fonske said:

I just want to say I love my leopard, it's such a gorgeous looking and interesting to observe and interact with fish. It likes dense plant coverage, the more jungle, the better...prefers live food but not too fussy about it. Doesn't bother tankmates unless they are of edible size. 

leopard-bushfish-close-up.jpg.962f2727cd6a633f715e6d4d77f56209.jpg

Do you keep a single fish or are they better in a group? 

On 2/3/2023 at 11:00 AM, Colu said:

I kept some about 18 years ago in a species tank  as they get older they tend to get darker and lose some of their colour  mine use to like hanging out in the plants a lot darting out when I dropped food in the tank 

How many did you keep and in what size tank? 

On 2/3/2023 at 9:17 PM, Kieflow said:

How many did you keep and in what size tank? 

I kept two in a 6ft planted  tank I eventually had to re-home them when I had to downsize and didn't have as much space 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2023 at 5:17 AM, Kieflow said:

I keep just one. Wish I could have a tank large enough for a group but with ctenopoma's adult size of ~8" it's difficult to have enough room. 

• Thanks 1