Black Spots on Plant Leaves

I am new to both keeping fish and live aquarium plants. I planted Amazon Sword, Java Fern, and Anubius Barteri in my 2 Fluval Beta tanks and Fluval 15 G tank on January 23. The tanks have been running for about 4 weeks and are fishless. I did treat with a fluval fertilizer and tabs(not many) after planting. The brown probably started with in a week of planting. This past Monday I put in a few Easy Green tabs and Liquid Easy green. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Small tanks are the lights that come with the Fluval Betta tank and are considered low light. The 15 G Fluval flex is considered low to medium. I turn my lights on at 8AM and turn off at 10PM. I need timers.

My ammonia  was .25ppm, Nitrite .50ppm and Nitrate 20ppm yesterday.

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

Edited by Karen Galley
  • Like 1

Hey Karen welcome to the forum - Overall I don't think things look too horrible. It might help get you a better answer if you provide some details on your lighting type and schedule, and if you have any water parameter testing. I dose extra potassium on top of easy green and my java ferns seem a lot happier and try to maintain 30-40ppm Nitrates.  

Also sometimes plants need some time to acclimate and some imperfections are just part of the normal process of getting established. This is particular true if they were not submerged when you bought them. A lot of aquatic plants are grown out of water and converted. 

Thanks so much!! I was afraid they would all die.

Small tanks are the lights that come with the Fluval Betta tank and are considered low light. The 15 G Fluval flex is considered low to medium. I turn my lights on at 8AM and turn off at 10PM. I need timers.

I test my water daily. My ammonia  was .25, Nitrite .50 and Nitrate 20 yesterday.

Thanks so much

Welcome aboard! 
I agree with PlaneFishGuy my Java Fern loves extra potassium. The more potassium the happier. I dose Seachem Potassium twice a week and my Easy Green schedule is a little bit each day. So when I do my water change every week my nitrates are up to 25-40 ppm or a little higher. 
If you start getting algae I would dial back your light schedule. I have mine on for 7 hours a day on Kasa Wi-Fi timers. 
Good luck!