šŸš Dwellers

Leo2o915

@Leo2o915Ā I have a 40 breeder with Neolamprologus Multifasciata and another 40 breeder with Neolamprologus Similis. Thereā€™s a million ways to house them, however understand they are going to rearrange everything to however they please. Then theyā€™ll do it again. With that in mind, I use pool filter sand. Decor are a few river rocks with some anubias attached to them. Obviously both species has a ton of shells. I believe I added about 50 or so to each setup. I usually use ACO sponge filter to basically filter anything. However, with these guys, I wanted to maximize floor space so I went with an Aquaclear 70. Lighting can be basically anything. If the ACO light was out at the time, I would of definitely went with that. I started off with 8 of each colony. With some time and tons of BBS, youā€™ll have a bunch of babies. If I had to pick between the 2, Iā€™d go with the multies. They are the most entertaining fish Iā€™ve ever had in my fish room because they do stuff with intention. Good luck.Ā 

• Like 2

Multis. 15 gallon or 20L to start. 10 can work, but you'll want bigger almost right away.

Sand, rocks, maybe some rhizome plants on the rocks. Use the rocks, or potted plants, or sponge filter to help divide the floor space into territories (depending on tank size, and how many fish).Ā 

Make sure any rocks are pushed through the sand and touching the bottom glass, otherwise the fish will dig under the rock and they might shift.Ā 

Feed lots of tiny foods (bbs or other fry food) even if all you have is adults. This will promote babies if you don't have them, support babies if you have them but don't know it, or grow babies if you have them and do know it. šŸ™‚

I've wondered if a 29gallon would give enough vertical space to include some cyps. Anyone know?Ā 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 9:20 AM, Mynameisnobody said:

@Leo2o915Ā I have a 40 breeder with Neolamprologus Multifasciata and another 40 breeder with Neolamprologus Similis. Thereā€™s a million ways to house them, however understand they are going to rearrange everything to however they please. Then theyā€™ll do it again. With that in mind, I use pool filter sand. Decor are a few river rocks with some anubias attached to them. Obviously both species has a ton of shells. I believe I added about 50 or so to each setup. I usually use ACO sponge filter to basically filter anything. However, with these guys, I wanted to maximize floor space so I went with an Aquaclear 70. Lighting can be basically anything. If the ACO light was out at the time, I would have definitely went with that. I started off with 8 of each colony. With some time and tons of BBS, youā€™ll have a bunch of babies. If I had to pick between the 2, Iā€™d go with the multies. They are the most entertaining fish Iā€™ve ever had in my fish room because they do stuff with intention. Good luck.Ā 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:20 AM, Mynameisnobody said:

@Leo2o915Ā I have a 40 breeder with Neolamprologus Multifasciata and another 40 breeder with Neolamprologus Similis. Thereā€™s a million ways to house them, however understand they are going to rearrange everything to however they please. Then theyā€™ll do it again. With that in mind, I use pool filter sand. Decor are a few river rocks with some anubias attached to them. Obviously both species has a ton of shells. I believe I added about 50 or so to each setup. I usually use ACO sponge filter to basically filter anything. However, with these guys, I wanted to maximize floor space so I went with an Aquaclear 70. Lighting can be basically anything. If the ACO light was out at the time, I would of definitely went with that. I started off with 8 of each colony. With some time and tons of BBS, youā€™ll have a bunch of babies. If I had to pick between the 2, Iā€™d go with the multies. They are the most entertaining fish Iā€™ve ever had in my fish room because they do stuff with intention. Good luck.Ā 

Awesome thanks saw those they look nice also loving the look of the gold occellatusĀ 

• Like 1

@Leo2o915Ā Gold Occellatus are beautiful, but not even close to the activity level of the multies. If you donā€™t want a ton of fry, go with the goldā€™s. However, if you plan on building a colony with basically no interference on your end, then go multies.Ā 
You can house any of these species in 20 gallons and some even in 10ā€™s, but the smallest aquarium Iā€™d own is a 40 breeder. Too many variables in smaller aquariums, but that can be subjective.Ā 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, Mynameisnobody said:

@Leo2o915Ā Gold Occellatus are beautiful, but not even close to the activity level of the multies. If you donā€™t want a ton of fry, go with the goldā€™s. However, if you plan on building a colony with basically no interference on your end, then go multies.Ā 
You can house any of these species in 20 gallons and some even in 10ā€™s, but the smallest aquarium Iā€™d own is a 40 breeder. Too many variables in smaller aquariums, but that can be subjective.Ā 

Oh gotcha so what you think of theĀ Neolamprologus signatus

• Like 1

Honestly, I love all shell dwellers and even rock dwellers. They all have proā€™s and conā€™s. I know the coop has an article on their site on shellieā€™s. I would definitely check it out. Also, primetime Aquatics put out a video ranking all the popular shell dwellers. Itā€™ll answer all of your questions per species. Personally, I keep multies and similis because babies appear without my interjection and they are highly interactive with their environment. I do want to obtain a pair of gold Occelatus, but Iā€™m not going to hold my breath on building a colony unless I take action. With a 15 month old little girl, itā€™s getting harder and harder to do.Ā 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 2:08 PM, Mynameisnobody said:

Honestly, I love all shell dwellers and even rock dwellers. They all have proā€™s and conā€™s. I know the coop has an article on their site on shellieā€™s. I would definitely check it out. Also, primetime Aquatics put out a video ranking all the popular shell dwellers. Itā€™ll answer all of your questions per species. Personally, I keep multies and similis because babies appear without my interjection and they are highly interactive with their environment. I do want to obtain a pair of gold Occelatus, but Iā€™m not going to hold my breath on building a colony unless I take action. With a 15 month old little girl, itā€™s getting harder and harder to do.Ā 

Oh gotcha makes sense specially with a young one. Congrats on ur baby girlĀ 

• Thanks 1