PSA to all shrimp and corydoras keepers

bryanisag

Hi all, this little guy has been in this tank for 2 years and this piece of ceramic shrimp hotel has been in the aquarium for around 2 months and today I came home from work to find him stuck. I pushed on his head pretty hard to get him free but he didn't budge. His head was really solid which I didn't expect. I then tried to push him all the way through the hole from the inside but he stabbed me with his spine and I realized that he was reacting the way they do when they are being eaten by a bigger fish. He had all his fins out and was ridged. I tried again to push him back into the decore and it worked this time. I can't tell which Corry it was that got stuck but I'm hoping he will be fine now. He has lots of other (safe) places to hide and I don't know if I can even see him right now. 

Is there anything you all would do at this point?

Obviously if I see him not doing well I will put him in a QT

PXL_20230201_023617039.jpg

• Like 2

@bryanisag It fascinates me how an issue can arise that I never thought would be an issue. I’m sure you feel the same way. If it were me, I’d remove that shrimp hotel. If you have a shrimp only tank then that should be it’s final home. If you don’t, then I’d toss it to the side for now. I’m sure you’ll find a use for it eventually. Next, I would find a good 2 hour block where I could sit and intake all aquarium. Study the swimming patterns/behaviors. I would feed to see how many are eating. If everything checks out, then you should be good to go. I would definitely continue to keep an eye on the situation closely for a couple of days. Obviously it is tricky because they do tend to hide a bunch, but I’m sure you can figure something out. Good luck buddy. 

Edited by Mynameisnobody
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:12 PM, bryanisag said:

Oh yeah I definitely moved that shrimp hotel to a shrimp and least killifish tank 

If you can see through it, you can swim through it!  Pretty sure that is from a movie or something.

Glad you got him out.  I would've use something to try to ease the fins back into place.  Difficult situation, keep an eye on the little guy. Let us know how he does.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, bryanisag said:

24 hours later he looks like this. I think it's pretty good and unless you all disagree or it gets worse I'm not planning on doing anything out of the usual with this tank

Honestly, looks fine.

I would use salt right now, but that's just how I am in general.  To keep the "cut clean" that is basically what I would do to reduce the risk of secondary issues.  level 2 I think is 1/3 cup per 10g.

Monitor it, keep an eye out day to day and then just make sure you have some erythromycin in case you need it.  For barbs and semi-aggressive tanks this stuff happens and that's normal to have on hand.