Platy Color Breeding Project Journal.

This will be a thread where i will talk about my platy breeding project. Im doing this because i really like platies, hence my username. I have here a picture of the male im using for this project. the females would not cooperate for a picture, but ill try to get pictures of them later in this thread.

platymale1.jpg.3b935c31ace47b104a7ed2195262c79e.jpgplatymale2.jpg.24cb8a22640786e3ee313a844fcbdf03.jpg

to clarify slightly, in the second picture, there are NOT 4fish just 2 reflections. Also the male is the one with the red in the back, orange in the front, and the black stripe. one of the females im trying to breed (this male's favorite) is also in these pictures, the female is the yellow one with the red fins.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:49 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Also they’re a fun fish. I would love to do some target breeding, but don’t have the space. Do you?? 

Probably not, but i will try very hard to pretend i do.  I have a 5gallon tank that im using for this project, and could throw some into my 20gallon if needed. I will probably just have a very heavily culling process. (Culling meaning going to the LFS, im not killing them)

Update: I doubt i will get a good picture, i  might have to bribe the fish with tubifex worms. This is relevant to this project definitely. its been  a few months since i did a large platy send off to the LFS. a few weeks ago i was sad that i gave away my male and female tuxedo platies, because they looked stunning, it turns out one of the females i picked for this project is a tuxedo, and there is also a male in the main tank! I feel better now, adding a tuxedo to my setup will help speed things up slightly. especially since its the same size as the male. This will help because my goal is pretty much a edited tuxedo. Also i moved out a female from that tank, probably due to a size difference the male had NO interest in her, so there was no point keeping her in a suboptimal conditon any longer, im also having doubts whether i should actually do this project or just dont bother, as NOTHING has happened yet.

Edited by Theplatymaster

Update Today: I noticed my male that i was trying to breed was picking females, there was only 1female the male would pay attention to, and breed with. I have moved this female out to my 2gallon tank, she is pregnant from this male and i will leave here there to give birth. I will need to keep monitoring the situation. If this male is stubborn and wont breed with the other females, i will try one of two things.

1.switch out the male for another of the same color pattern

2.add a male/introduce a male to the 2gallon right next to it. Let my target male know there is competition for his females. (I got this tip from Dean on a Aquarist Podcast episode)

Update: My first target male that i intended for this project has had a few problems.

1.Only bred with 1 of the females and than

2.Was mean to the rest of his femalefriends.

So this platy moved up in life, literally. My 5gallon for this project is on the stand shelf below my 20gallon. So this male got moved back to the 20gallon tank, and i moved a very similar looking male to the 5gallon tank, hoping this one will be more peaceful, and less picky.

the other thing in this tank is my Mini Ramshorn snails ( i have these snails EVERYWHERE because i like having little clean up crews for my tanks) have laid eggs in this tank, so more snails for me!

Edited by Theplatymaster

New update on this: (Am i only posting these updates for myself at this point): I have swapped the males. New male is not interested in females at the moment, but he is probably stressed out about the move.  I will moniter his behaviour in this tank, and see if THIS male behaves, hopefully he will because i dont have any other platies of this color variety.

Update:

All target females have been impregnated by target males.

the 3females are now in my 5gallon tank, with tons of moss covering the bottom. I plan to feed them well and keep them in this setup until they drop fry, then move them out. (I still need to figure out what to do as they will probably drop fry at different dates).

platyfinalbreeding.jpg

@TheSwissAquaristthere is moss and bio-rings covering the bottom of the tank, there are also big peices of coarse sponge just floating in the back. The point is to provide lots of hiding spots for fry in case i cant move the females once they give birth, i might remove 1/2 females though to give me better success rates. (so the other females arent predating on the fry i want to keep).  Oof... MTS hitting me hard. If i had another tank i could still get fry from my target female, but i have no open tank space for it.

update: Why am i doing this again? I had a target in mind, but ive  lost the fish needed for that, i guess at this point this project has become Raise a bunch of platy fry and see what colors you get! Nothing wrong with that, just wont be my goal. I am trying to get the red back half into a tuxedo platy, thats the one i care about most. (One of my females in here is a tuxedo)

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 2/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, Theplatymaster said:

@The endler guy the project has fallen apart, i no longer know what im trying to acheive. It’s now become "What interesting colors will  i get" mostly i trying to add some red to an orange tuxedo platy, i am  paying no attention to genetics at this stage.

that is the best way to do things! Some of the most important things to happen have been accidental 

• Haha 1

unfortunately it looks like my female tuxedo platy might have Culimanaris, i dont have any good meds for it, but ive moved her to the 2gallon tank, and have doesed small amounts of salt, and will does maracyn. im hoping its not culimanaris and just a bump, and that my treatments help with the fish,i have no other tuxedo platies. :classic_sad:

however i haved moved back in my other female with some very intereseting colors on it, it almost has a turqoise sheen? crazy, i cant wait to see what that fish gives birth to, and what colors she ends up with, so far she is just grey with a black stripe and small amounts of sheen, but no major coloration yet.

platyfemales12.jpg

platyfemales1.jpg